Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

party wall survey-help

Anybody had any dealings of these? Got plans in for a single storey extension. Letter drops through the door yesterday from a surveyor apparently appointed by my neighbour,who I should add is on the non attached side of my semi detached house, stating that I need to get one of these surveys done before work can start,as the building work falls within 3 metres of her house. I'm guessing that this surveyor approached my neighbour once they saw I had plans in. It stinks as a con to me as they've kindly told me to keep aside £2500- £3500 if I don't decide to use them as they'll do it for a generous £1400! Now I've no idea if I need to get one of these done or not as I need to speak to my builder and architect. Just wondered if any of you well travelled lot had any experiences in the matter and how much it bloody cost!!

"Do an extension" they said."its cheaper than moving" they said.
I'm starting to beg to differ!

T.I.A

Comments

• Options
    Hi Carly, whisper me your email address if you wAnt me to email you some info on 3rd party walls. It's PDF and not sure if I can attach it on my ipad
  • Options
    It's on it's way
  • Options
    The same thing happpened to me. My neighbour insisted on using his own surveyor it eventually cost close to 3 grand. the work stopped until everything was agreed between both surveyors, I just wanted to get it done and paid for so the builders could carry on with the work. If you want the work completed I dont think there is much else you can do.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

The same thing happpened to me. My neighbour insisted on using his own surveyor it eventually cost close to 3 grand. the work stopped until everything was agreed between both surveyors, I just wanted to get it done and paid for so the builders could carry on with the work. If you want the work completed I dont think there is much else you can do.

The letter i received has more than a hint of the "no win no fee" feeling about it.Just spoke to my architect and he says it's a con.They see you've got planning permission in and go fishing round to the neighbours and see if anyone takes the bait. She's in her seventies and lives on her own.I shall speak with her,We get on,and find out what her concerns are.

It's on it's way

Cheers mate.
  • Options
    I built my extension about4 years ago and goes within a meter of next door but never had to do anything like that.
  • Options
    It's a con. It's a money making scheme for the Surveyor - who probably isn't qualified any way.

Speak with your neighbour. Tell them what you are doing and agree certain parameters - like hours of work, dust, disruption and making good any localised defects as a result of the work on your property.
  • Options
    And then call the surveyor and invite them rd to discuss it

Kick the shite out of them and put them in your foundation trench start pouring concrete on them until they cry

And tell them to stop robbing hard working honest people

Just as bad as ambulance chasers
  • Options
    But not as bad as Estate Agents.
  • Options
    Or tax avoiding accountants, apparently!
  • Options
    Or recruitment consultants
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Feck it carly can i beat them up and put them in the trench
  • Options

Feck it carly can i beat them up and put them in the trench

By all means.................Once I've had a risk assessment consultant round.

• Options
    Do it and i will hide the evidence deep in your foundations
  • Options
    As a Surveyor and one who carries out Fire Safety Risk Assessments on a weekly basis, I'm starting to feel a little paranoid now.
  • Options

Do it and i will hide the evidence deep in your foundations

Make sure your cement mixer doesn't get a ticket from your friendly local warden .......

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Read about The Party Wall Act 1996 on https://www.gov.uk/party-wall-etc-act-1996-guidance. Before my neighbour had a large extension and internal modification done, including knocking down chimney breasts and putting in RSGs into our party wall, I gave her a copy of the guidance(free from the www.gov site by the way) and she was all sweetness and light and kept us informed.

The only nuisance was the slurry from the ready mix concrete used to fill the foundations. This overflowed into our gardens and which could affect your non-party wall neighbour. There was no lasting damage and she gave a couple of nice patio pot plants by way of saying sorry.