Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Championship Away fans 2012/13

Comments

• Options
    Needs to be correlated with the average distance travelled to be a fair comparison.

Not that I'm doing it of course.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Like others I have travelled away on and off since the 80's.Clearly more London derbies would boost the average.

My reason for not going more often is partly financial I don't get my act together in time for the cheapest train tickets and also time based a trip north takes out a whole Saturday and most of the evening as well .I like to do this maybe 3 or 4 times a season.

If Palace don't go up next season might be slightly better logistically for us although I also expect us not to get the bottom tier at Millwall next season ,so our impressive 3,394 will reduce to just over 2,000.

We lose Cardiff and Hull ,but gain QPR,Reading and Wigan.QPR would be a good swap for Watford but bad for Palace.Reading is an excellent swap for Cardiff. Hull and Wigan are similar distances.

In terms of League One Yeovil probably matches Bristol,Bournemouth/Peterborough (albeit in completely different directions) and Doncaster over Wolves might have new ground appeal as we have only played at the Keepmoat once in an evening game.I will certainly try to go there having only visited Donny as a neutral.

Fair analysis.

I would imagine that all things bring equal our away numbers would probably decline overall next year as a) there will likely be reduced allocations for the two games that we take really big numbers, and b) one of the big drivers for our numbers are new grounds and Donny is the only one that remotely falls into that category on a large scale.
  • Options
    That table also shows that we are the 5th most visited club. Is that a result of us being a relatively new ground after a few years away, or is it that we're a good away day (and based on our home form this season, an almost guaranteed win)?
  • Options
    Greg said:

That table also shows that we are the 5th most visited club. Is that a result of us being a relatively new ground after a few years away, or is it that we're a good away day (and based on our home form this season, an almost guaranteed win)?

I'd assume it's just because we're in London, so a few clubs probably bring a few extra for a weekend away in London, plus most sides will have fans who live/work in the capital. Not much between us and Palace in the averages so i don't think there are any other factors. Millwall are obviously less because of their reputation.
  • Options

End Of An Era:
    Ferguson
    Beckham
    Scholes
    Carragher
    Owen
    OohAahMortimer
    Neville
    Petrov
    Harper
    Van Bommel
    Carlos
    Shevchenko
    Ballack
    Inzaghi
    All retiring.

Some people might say @OohAahMortimer was perhaps the greatest analyser of Charlton's away attendances of all time. Some might even say his insightful comments on away day followings were world class.

Had Elton John been a Charlton fan and not a Watford fan he might have penned a tribute

Addick In The Away End

Goodbye Charlton's rose
    May you ever grow our away attendances
    You were the grace that placed itself
    Where crowds were torn apart
    You called out to our Charlton
    And you whispered to those in low numbers
    Now you belong to Millwall
    And the Dockers stand spell out your name

chorus
    And it seems to me you lived your life
    Like a Addick in the away end
    Never fading with the sunset
    When the defeats set in
    And your footsteps will always fall here
    Along the Covered End
    Your away support's burned out long before
    Your legend ever will

#boredtoday
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have said it before, and I will say it again - most sides wont have fans who live or work in the capital, ALL sides will. Every club in the country must have 300+ followers within an hour of The Valley.

I think our away following is fine. If people don't or can't go, so what? Does not make them any less passionate or care any less.
  • Options
    Elton John singing,
    Addick in the away end

just don't sound right to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    as per a few of the above posts, you have to look at that table bearing in mind the following:

We are in London - Some northern fans will visit us so that they can spend time in London as well. (Like us visiting Brighton)

Leeds especially have a VERY large london contingent - their London branch probably has more supporters than our Medway branch

We don't have that many "local" games and over half of our away games involve 3hrs plus travelling. This season there were lots of NW teams, so Blackpool fans for example had trips to Blackburn, Bolton & Burnley on their door-step and then 1hr trips to Sheff W, Leeds & Huddersfield. Wolves, being slap bang in the middle of the country, have over half the teams no more than 2 hrs away.
  • Options
    Its all about geography take Leeds for example have great surport all over the country but when you have four yorkshire derbys

Barnsley
    Hudders
    Hull City
    Massive

Three teams down the road in Lancs

Burnley
    Blackburn
    Bolton

Five teams in the midlands

Wolves
    Forest
    Leicester
    Derby
    Birmingham

Then Mboro

What have we got

Scum
    Scum
    Brighton
    Watford

• Options
    Sadly there's a team not to far away which eliminates the travel argument.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Who were going for promotion all season
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Blackpool fans for example had trips to Blackburn, Bolton & Burnley on their door-step and then 1hr trips to Sheff W, Leeds & Huddersfield.

Blackpool to Leeds and Sheffield in an hour, were they all travelling in convoys of Ferrari's up there?
  • Options

and palace had a better away average in our previous 2 seasons in the Championship when we had considerably more home fans and a bit of new ground syndrome to boot

• Options
    So our away support has increased by over 300 from 2009. Excellent.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

and palace had a better away average in our previous 2 seasons in the Championship when we had considerably more home fans and a bit of new ground syndrome to boot

This is exactly why your armchair views on our away support piss people off.
    You only ever emphasise the negative.
  • Options
    oohaah everyone can see our away support is not good as it should be.

Unfortunately you love to point it out at every opportunity.
  • Options
    He is only talking about away fans stats and facts on an away fans stats and facts thread. The OP even referenced him so should expect him to comment. He has mentioned good turn outs in previous threads too.
  • Options
    Millwall who apart from selling out at us and Palace, took barely 1k fans anywhere, so anyone know why they took almost 1800 to Sheff Weds?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Comparing to our home fans we have worse in championship then ?
  • Options

Millwall who apart from selling out at us and Palace, took barely 1k fans anywhere, so anyone know why they took almost 1800 to Sheff Weds?

Because from what I can remember, they're 'main lot' were planning it as a big day out, so all the hanger ons wanted to be part of it. I'm sure that's what my mate said. Herd followers.

• Options
    Fair enough AFKA, should've guessed the big turn out would involve the prospect of a tear up.

nolly - i don't think we're the worst. % wise Brighton must be worse, 26k home crowds but only take 1400 away.
  • Options
    Fucking hell chaps. Seriously, hasn't all this shit been done to death a million times on here?

So our away followings are chuff. Haven't they always been?

And comparing away crowds to home crowds is surely not relevant, now that we know that home crowds are exaggerated by 10k every home game and I am the only person sitting in the west stand.

Of course, under the previous regime the home crowds weren't inflated at all. No sir, the games were just marketed better.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    MrOneLung said:

. The OP even referenced him so should expect him to comment.

I'm not sure what qualifies him as an expert apart from him being a fan that used to to away games .
    I always expect him to comment . That's the problem.
    He disrespects the people who do actually go to the away games.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

MrOneLung said:

. The OP even referenced him so should expect him to comment.

I'm not sure what qualifies him as an expert apart from him being a fan that used to to away games .
    I always expect him to comment . That's the problem.
    He disrespects the people who do actually go to the away games.
    you take life far too seriously , take a chill pill
    of course i'm gonna comment , i have a weird obsession with away numbers, like you have a weird obsession with what i say about them
    i know i have a captive audience and don't wanna let people down , it's only banter

and don't make crap up about me disrepecting the people who actually go away , i doff my cap in respect of those travellers because i'm someone who knows what amount of committment that takes

• Options
    Dedication's what you need.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Tbf to oohaah, he's too busy to go to many away games, as he's in the process of trying to produce the next generation of Charlton supporters :-)
  • Options

Because from what I can remember, they're 'main lot' were planning it as a big day out, so all the hanger ons wanted to be part of it. I'm sure that's what my mate said. Herd followers.

They didn't even do anything as they all got lost outside the ground.