Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Pulis and Stoke part company

2»

Comments

• Options
    Martin O'Neil and Stoke seem like a perfect match to me. Stuck a couple of shillings on.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

A case of "Be careful what you wish for".

Please explain this quote?

I simply don't understand it.

I wish I could win £100m on the lottery.
    I wish I could marry Jennie Runk
    I wish they still made Courage Best like they did in the 80's.

So tell me my dear friend, what is there to be careful of in this three wishes?
    Who is Jennie Runk?
    I had to google it, oversized model
    Oversized? Wha constitutes oversize then?

Let he who is without sin.......

We're not all into matchsticks.
    Having Googled Jennie Runk, I congratulate you on your choice of marriage partner, Riviera. Has she got any nice sisters, and if so, would you put in a good word for me?

Ditto, shes hardly Would Ya material
  • Options
    "doing a Charlton" used to mean staying in the prem, building slowly on solid foundations and doing everything the right way... now it means tumbling two leagues in a blaze of mediocrity and stupidity after losing a decent manager who built you up. If we keep CP and stabilise behind the scenes, I'm hoping the original term makes a comeback!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

"doing a Charlton" used to mean staying in the prem, building slowly on solid foundations and doing everything the right way... now it means tumbling two leagues in a blaze of mediocrity and stupidity after losing a decent manager who built you up. If we keep CP and stabilise behind the scenes, I'm hoping the original term makes a comeback!

Nicely put, McBobbin. I'm right behind CP and only hope the board's ambitions are as strong as the fans'. Why not make serious investments in transfers now, to be paid back from Prem TV money in the near future?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Riviera said:

A case of "Be careful what you wish for".

I wish I could marry Jennie Runk
    I wish they still made Courage Best like they did in the 80's.

So tell me my dear friend, what is there to be careful of in these three wishes?
    I believe this was originally a French proverb. The full saying is, "Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it." It is a warning that sometimes what you think will help or benefit you actually does the opposite. One of the best illustrations of this is in the story, "The Monkey's Paw" by W W Jacobs. In this story, a man meets a soldier returning from India. The soldier has a monkey's paw which is supposed to grant three wishes but is cursed. The soldier, knowing that the last owner of the paw used his final wish to kill himself, throws the paw away but the man, thinking what he could get if he was granted three wishes, retrieves it and decides to test the story by wishing for £200. That day his son is killed in an industrial accident and he receives £200 in compensation.

• Options
    Riviera said:

MIGHT GET KIDNAPPED BY SOMALI PIRATES WHEN OUT IN YOUR NEW YACHT
    I wish I could marry Jennie Runk.MIGHT BE A C**K SMUGGLED AWAY IN THAT BIKINI
    I wish they still made Courage Best like they did in the 80's.YOU'LL NEED A DRINK AFTER THE FIRST TWO.PERMISSION GRANTED

• Options

Riviera said:

MIGHT GET KIDNAPPED BY SOMALI PIRATES WHEN OUT IN YOUR NEW YACHT
    I wish I could marry Jennie Runk.MIGHT BE A C**K SMUGGLED AWAY IN THAT BIKINI
    I wish they still made Courage Best like they did in the 80's.YOU'LL NEED A DRINK AFTER THE FIRST TWO.PERMISSION GRANTED

Courage Best or no Courage Best, I'd be willing to take a chance on Jennie Runk.
  • Options
    Sadly they do make Courage Best now. I keep foolishly trying it in a fog of nostalgia whenever I see it and regretting it after.
    Is that what you meant?
    Can we talk about teams "doing a Wolves" please? We can reclaim "do a Charlton" as McBobbin suggests.
  • Options
    But all the Courage Best I recall from the late 80s tasted like pond water and was vile!!!

The modern Best is inoffensive, but at least is drinkable
  • Options

But all the Courage Best I recall from the late 80s tasted like pond water and was vile!!!

Must say I'm with killerandflash on this one. The reincarnated Courage Best is brewed by Wells and Youngs, and not bad at all. Still prefer Jennie Runk, though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Since August 2008 Stoke City have taken 2435 long throws in the Premier League, at least 1363 more than any other team"

• Options
    So bored of all the comparisons that happen on radio, Sky Sports News etc about "Charlton fans forcing Curbishley out because they wanted more blah blah blah". Yes, we did have some idiots who were pleased to see the back of him, but it wasn't exactly a revolt against him at the time.

With that said, Stoke are the sort of team who will never be 100% established in the Premier League and their time will come when they do get relegated. Just like 70% or so of the rest of the league.

Pulis' achievements have been incredible. Not just Premiership stability but an FA Cup Final and a season in the Europa League. The biggest achievement for me though is how he has given Stoke an identity of being one of the hardest clubs to go and play against. I personally love Stoke's hard hitting, in your face style. Those managers and players who moan about it are usually just frustrated that they struggle to work around it.
  • Options
    Mark Hughes has emerged as Sky Bet's new favourite to replace Tony Pulis and become the next Stoke manager.
  • Options

Well it depends where you drank it. In a good tied Courage house with a decent celler man it was simply excellent. (Locally The British Oak, The Woodman and New Tigers Head in Lee, The Beehive and White Hart in SE9 all served fantastic CB) It won many CAMRA awards. However it was also the default beer for a lot of the new breed of pubs that started to emerge in the late 80's and early 90's. Breweries began selling off the pubs to pub management companies like Nicholsons and Punch etc. They were just in the business to make money. Courage Best was well known and these companies bought to give punters a familiar beer.
    The new CB made by Charles Wells is inoffensive but is sadly nothing like the original.
  • Options

Mark Hughes has emerged as Sky Bet's new favourite to replace Tony Pulis and become the next Stoke manager.

They'd suit each other

• Options
    Riviera said:

Well it depends where you drank it. In a good tied Courage house with a decent celler man it was simply excellent. (Locally The British Oak, The Woodman and New Tigers Head in Lee, The Beehive and White Hart in SE9 all served fantastic CB) It won many CAMRA awards. However it was also the default beer for a lot of the new breed of pubs that started to emerge in the late 80's and early 90's. Breweries began selling off the pubs to pub management companies like Nicholsons and Punch etc. They were just in the business to make money. Courage Best was well known and these companies bought to give punters a familiar beer.
    The new CB made by Charles Wells is inoffensive but is sadly nothing like the original.
    Don't forget that Courage had several breweries other than London's Horsleydown, each producing their different version of Best. The Plymouth variety was delicious - vibrantly hoppy - but discontinued in the 1980s, alas. You are making me thirsty, Riviera....

• Options

Didn't think I could dislike Stoke any more than I do. Guess I was wrong

• Options
    cafctom said:

So bored of all the comparisons that happen on radio, Sky Sports News etc about "Charlton fans forcing Curbishley out because they wanted more blah blah blah". Yes, we did have some idiots who were pleased to see the back of him, but it wasn't exactly a revolt against him at the time.

With that said, Stoke are the sort of team who will never be 100% established in the Premier League and their time will come when they do get relegated. Just like 70% or so of the rest of the league.

Pulis' achievements have been incredible. Not just Premiership stability but an FA Cup Final and a season in the Europa League. The biggest achievement for me though is how he has given Stoke an identity of being one of the hardest clubs to go and play against. I personally love Stoke's hard hitting, in your face style. Those managers and players who moan about it are usually just frustrated that they struggle to work around it.

Pretty much. Done a good job. Will get another job. Cup final and europe are which Curbs saw as our ceiling and it is certainly stoke's. The Difference is they got there.

They will never improve on their position. Two years ago Pulis got them to a final. Last year they had a good run in europe. It was always going to be backwards from there. Victim of his own success
  • Options

"Since August 2008 Stoke City have taken 2435 long throws in the Premier League, at least 1363 more than any other team"

So what? If you had a player who was really good at something, like Delap for instance, wouldn't you want to use them too?

• Options

So what? If you had a player who was really good at something, like Delap for instance, wouldn't you want to use them too?

Yeah. Barcelona have a short player that scores loads of goals and they keep playing him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Entirely agree, Bournemouth: Delap's long throws are almost like corners, and no-one objects to having those.

• Options
    Riviera said:

Well all the Courage Best I drank in the late 80s was rank, and it was a godsend when the likes of Sheps, Fullers, Pedigree etc became more widely available, especially with the first Wetherspoons opening.

It's a tough job taking over from Pulis, because he has a squad of players geared around playing a certain style, a radical shift in style is likely to be a disaster.