Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to BWP?

Forgive me if I'm going over old ground, but I'd be interested in members' views on the decline of Bradley Wright-Phillips. When he joined us I had high hopes of him becoming a great striker; I liked his unpredictable strikes, swivelling quickly on the edge of the box and hammering a low shot between defenders, catching the keeper unawares. Towards the end of the 2011-12 season he began missing one-on-ones with the keeper; was this a sign of loss of confidence? He seemed increasingly isolated, peripheral. I thought if he were to put himself about more, chase down defenders, drop deeper to receive the ball, he might get his old mojo back. What is the reason for this decline? And, bearing in mind that he might still return to us, what should be done to get him scoring regularly again?

Comments

• Options
    Been Charltonized. Happens to them all eventually..................
  • Options
    a league 1 player unfortunately good lad tries really hard but for some reason can look lazy and disinterested when doing it, although he is by no means lazy or disintresred it just looks it at times

I like him a lot but he is not a champ player from what I have seen shame seems a cracking lad
  • Options
    Think most like BWP but the game was up for him when he went 3 months or so without scoring in the 101 season. It was as though he was a writer with writers block - he became petrified of one on one with tier 3 keepers and has never got over the problem tbh.

The goal that wasn't given home to Palace after his goal in the first home game of the season could have kicked him on but sadly the Lino with the stick and Labrador waved for offside with keeper and defender on the line :-((

A shame but he will be in pastures new come August!
  • Options
    Don't think he's quite good enough at this level. Not quick, strong or good enough in the air to really cause problems for defenders. A great finisher when on form but even at League 1 level we didn't see it consistently.
  • Options
    I assume there'll be an announcement about his future soon
  • Options
    Imagine Brentford will take him on permanent
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Don't think he's quite good enough at this level. Not quick, strong or good enough in the air to really cause problems for defenders. A great finisher when on form but even at League 1 level we didn't see it consistently.

Has BWP declined because he doesn't put himself about enough? Compare and contrast with Kermorgant, who naturally looked a bit tentative when he came back from his broken ankle, but was soon challenging for the ball in attack and making clearances from defence: now he's back to his old self. My question is: Is BWP simply not good enough for an ambitious Championship team, or would better coaching unlock his natural talents?

• Options
    I do remember those times when during the first 12 months or so when he would cut inside and just take shots out of nothing and they would always flash past the keeper. His goal at home to Sheffield Wednesday was a classic example.

It seemed to be the easier chances he always struggled with though.
  • Options
    i think hes reached the age where "his natural talents" are what you see ...about good enough for league 1 not championship ...dont think theres anything more to be "unlocked"
  • Options
    Unfortunately BWP has never had the coolness to 'dink' (chip) the ball over a keeper close in. Time and time again he blasts it low at the keeper and 90% are saved. If only he could learn this, his scoring rate would rapidly improve.
    As it is, he misses too many chances because of poor technique at Championship level.
    I can't imagine the coaches haven't tried to teach him - but either you have that extra bit of quality, or you don't!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dinking's easy, ask Messi. Just over the goalie, just under the bar, no problem!
  • Options
    But maybe not so easy in the heat of battle Andy!
  • Options
    Being tongue-in-cheek, Jonny. Messi makes it look a lot easier than it is, even while running at pace!
  • Options
    Expected to sign for MK Dons.
  • Options

Expected to sign for MK Dons.

That's interesting. Hope he does well there, has good coaching and a bit of luck! He's got bags of natural talent.
  • Options
    As many others have said... I don't think he's good enough for the Championship, but a great League One player. A bit disappointed he didn't get more time on the pitch at Brentford this year though!
  • Options
    Brentford fans seem 50/50on whther they want to keep him all not. Some seem to think he hasn't played well enough this season and others think he's just too expensive. whateevr the case i wish him the best of lukc for the futuree
  • Options
    RZA said:

Brentford fans seem 50/50on whther they want to keep him all not. Some seem to think he hasn't played well enough this season and others think he's just too expensive. whateevr the case i wish him the best of lukc for the futuree

Rosler would be crazy to turn down a million-pound striker for nothing....................

• Options
    I wonder with the delay in announcing the BWP has been left go and the change with Haynes if we are trying to now keep BWP on reduced terms as a 2/3 choice striker.
  • Options
    I would hope that CAFC are going for something a bit more flash like Obika + 1... see comments on Evina thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would like to keep BWP - still think he can make the step up
  • Options
    Me too, I have seen that on the top of his game, he has the ability. Question mark as to whether we can get him to the top of his game, but if the cost is not too much, doubt we would get a better back up striker if we looked for one!
  • Options
    Not for me, let's move on. Best for all concerned if he is back to being a number 1 somewhere.
  • Options
    At present we have Yann. We need to bring in three strikers assuming BWP is not staying. That will eat a large chunk of our budget if we are to get at least the quality we had with Fuller and Haynes. Yes BWP could be still useful but he won't want to stay not getting a look in like last season. I doubt he fits in with Chris Powells plans.
  • Options
    I think the BWP that played for during the first half of our promotion season would definitely fit in with Powell's plans. IMO, he is only a run of goals away from that!
  • Options

I think the BWP that played for during the first half of our promotion season would definitely fit in with Powell's plans. IMO, he is only a run of goals away from that!

Oh I agree but Chris didn't feature him or give him a chance after those first few games. I still doubt Powell really feels he's want he wants unless of course we are struggling with finance to replace what we've let go.

• Options
    I like BWP and if anything, I think he lacked a bit of strength and grit rather than technique. Showed some really classy touches and close control but can get bossed by the more experienced centre-backs at this level and fail to impose himself even as a sub.

A boost of confidence and a some serious guinness sessions and and he could still do well but I fear we may have seen the best of him the season before last.
  • Options

Oh I agree but Chris didn't feature him or give him a chance after those first few games. I still doubt Powell really feels he's want he wants unless of course we are struggling with finance to replace what we've let go.

By the first few games do you mean the first 13 or so, where he scored one goal? I like BWP but it's just not true to say Powell didn't give him a chance. We were near the bottom, not picking up enough points and had Fuller, Haynes, and at some points Hulse, to choose from alongside Yann. All of those players came in and contributed, and all scored more than BWP. It's all very well to say he needs to hit that form but we didn't have time for him to fire blanks like we did in L1. We needed players who would get us points and he wasn't that player, despite the opportunities he was given to prove he was
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    He wasn't quite as useless in the early season as it seems some people are implying.

Sure, the stats say just 1 goal.

He scored with a terrific finish in only the 2nd game of the season and a couple of weeks later had that "goal" against Palace disallowed because of the incompetence of the linesman.

The biggest factor though was when Yann got injured, following which BWP was asked to play different roles leading the line as lone forward or running the channels, working harder than we'd ever seen him work before ....... shots cleared off the line or well saved, and others which rebounded creating scoring opportunities for team mates. We saw a lot of selfless play contributing to the greater team effort - but we didn't see BWP score again, and his confidence visibly wilted.

I guess that's the luck of a striker when things don't work out.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    He started the first 9 league games and later made one more start. Of those 10, 6 were alongside Yann, 2 with Fuller and 1 with Hulse. It was only against Blackburn he was up front on his own, and that game I'm sure Jackson played just behind him.

For me along with Stephens, Hollands and Jackson starting together he was one of the reasons we were unconvincing at the time.

We looked a much better team last season with two players that could hold up the ball up front in Fuller and Yann, or one alongside Haynes who was our only striker with real pace. BWP isn't quite good enough at either role and at this level I'm not sure he's a good enough poacher to make up for it.

Some questioned how Obika could be better than BWP at this level but in his brief playing time he offered more pace & strength and scored a few goals.

Maybe if we had a team that could really pass and keep the ball well he'd fit in, but the way we play I think we need strikers that can cause problems outside the box and make it difficult for centre backs.