Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mick McManus

Passed away aged 93. RIP.

Comments

• Options
    R.I.P.

A very long life by wrestling standards.
  • Options
    Not me ears!

RIP
  • Options
    used to love watching him with Jackie "mr Tv Pallo" as a tag team ...that great forearm smash always used to come out when he was losing and Mick "the baddie" would turn it round and always win ...used to do a lot of work with the Lords Taverners

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP. One of the best.
  • Options
    RIP.

93 years old, blimey that makes me feel aged. World of Sport Saturday afternoon waiting for the footie results while my dad watched the wrestling. Time really bloody moves doesn't it?
  • Options
    I'm sure he wouldn't mind me calling him a nasty bastard!

Enjoyed watching him just before the football scores on a Saturday with the great Kent Walton commentating to us grapple fans.
  • Options
    One of my earliest childhood memories is of my My Nan, a serious Jackie Pallo fan ,screaming serious verbal abuse at Mick. I think it was the worst language I'd ever heard at the time, I was about 5. I've been a chef for over 30 years I've heard a lot worse since. RIP Mick.
  • Options
    The Saturday afternon TV wrestling must have been the original shout at the tele program.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

One of my earliest childhood memories is of my My Nan, a serious Jackie Pallo fan ,screaming serious verbal abuse at Mick. I think it was the worst language I'd ever heard at the time, I was about 5. I've been a chef for over 30 years I've heard a lot worse since. RIP Mick.

• Options
    re above we must have had the same Nan !
  • Options
    Blimey! I thought he had died years ago.
    I saw him when i was 11 at the Woolwich Odean along with Big Daddy & Giant Haystacks.

• Options
    who remembers referee Lou Marco (spelling) .. 'it's up to you McManus' .. as Mick was beating the canvas in ersatz agony as his opponent went for a submission .. but old Mick .. he'd rather have his limbs pulled off than submit
  • Options
    Remember watching the wrestling as kids at my grandads house. God bless the memories. RIP Mick
  • Options
    My dad knew mick well and one day as a teenager i was arguing with my old man and mick was passing and saw it he got out of a car and came over to give me a dig before my dad laughed and said mick this is the scrawny little shit you used to pick up and swing above your head

RiP mick
  • Options
    Loved watching him and still do. World of Sport still gets an airing from time to time on some obscure Sky channel.
    I believe he reckoned he was undefeated in the ring just disqualified a few times.
    New Cross finest
  • Options
    didnt he come from New Cross ?

RIP Mick
  • Options

RIP.

93 years old, blimey that makes me feel aged. World of Sport Saturday afternoon waiting for the footie results while my dad watched the wrestling. Time really bloody moves doesn't it?

Christ! Are you me?
    I had the exact same recollection
  • Options
    He did GH my oldman and him became friends in deptford around creek rd

I dont have many memories of mick as i was real young when he was around only four or five but that one time not far from where the horrific act happend today is etched in my noggin
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sure I must have seen him a few times at The Odeon in Woolwich when they had the wrestling. I must have been about 8/9 in the mid-70s. Certainly remember him from World of Sport on a Saturday afternoon.

Rest in Peace Mr McManus.
  • Options
    Somewhere up there my dear Nan will be very upset at that news. She loved Jim McManus, althought not as much as Big Daddy. RIP Mick and if you see my Nan, please giver her a hug. She will be made up.
  • Options
    Was it him who used to go mental when people pulled his ears?

Remember watching the old World of Sport wrestling round my nans.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP. A wrestling legend.
  • Options
    Here's an amusing story told to me by my dad to remember Mick by:
    The wrestling circus often used to travel around the country together in a coach.
    There was always a good deal of banter.
    On one trip, Jackie Pallo - who was not the sharpest tool in the box - was saying what a good runner he was.
    Mick bet him that he couldn't run a minute in 60 seconds. Jackie, bless him, was adamant he could, demanded the coach stopped and then sprinted down the road, much to the amusement of the other wrestlers, while Mick timed him. After a minute, Mick told Jackie it had taken him 65 seconds and he'd lost the bet.
  • Options
    Met him once, tiny little bloke but a great entertainer. happy memories, RIP.