Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carlton Cole has been released at 29

Comments

• Options
    Chris Powell has clearly tried to sign intelligent, ambitious players with great attitude. Carlton Cole couldn't be further from that identikit if he tried - which he often didn't when he was on loan with us. Don't think we'd sign him even if he was prepared to play for free.
  • Options

Off_it said:

He's been released?

I didn't think he ever got convicted.

Neat joke, Off-It. Not convicted, but he was one of a group of players investigated by the Old Bill in connection with an alleged case of "roasting" in a Mayfair hotel.

Ah yes, if I recall a chorus of "You only sweat when you're roasting" awaited him on his return.
    Pretty certain it was his hotel room that was used for the allegations, he wasn't in that room at that time.

• Options
    Can't believe he's 29 and no better than he was ten years ago. By physique and physical attributes he had it all to be a top level striker. Just shows you how important what goes on upstairs is (or what doesn't).
  • Options

Chris Powell has clearly tried to sign intelligent, ambitious players with great attitude. Carlton Cole couldn't be further from that identikit if he tried - which he often didn't when he was on loan with us. Don't think we'd sign him even if he was prepared to play for free.

Agree entirely - Cole doesn't fit the Charlton ethos. Steer clear.

• Options
    uncle said:

Salad said:

Lazy & not very good.

that's unfair, I thought Off-Its joke was very good

Please don't encourage him.
    :-(
  • Options
    Always remember Cole being interviewed after Zola had been sacked from West Ham.

Reporter asks him if the players are in any way to blame.

'Oh no' says Cole.

Is it just him or is that the attitude of all players, things going well take all the acclaim, things going badly blame the manager.
  • Options
    Could and perhaps should have been a really top player but for whatever reason he just doesn't have the mental drive or determination to be one. Is that being lazy ? Perhaps.
  • Options

Could and perhaps should have been a really top player but for whatever reason he just doesn't have the mental drive or determination to be one. Is that being lazy ? Perhaps.

In his defense he's still make more money than many of us will ever see. He was probably going to struggle to make it in a really top side so why should he care if it's West Ham or Everton or Newcastle. There's not much to choose between them so why should he care?
  • Options

In his defense he's still make more money than many of us will ever see. He was probably going to struggle to make it in a really top side so why should he care if it's West Ham or Everton or Newcastle. There's not much to choose between them so why should he care?
    Yeah I have to agree its just that when he broke through at Chelsea I think the sky was the limit for him but like I said he just didn't do it.

• Options
    Perhaps someone else recalls the others who were investigated in connection with the allegation of "roasting". The alleged offence occurred in a room at the Hilton in Park Lane, on a weekend after a Chelsea v Newcastle game, I believe. Titus Bramble was later - quite recently - tried with sexual offences in the North-East.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Off_it said:

He's been released?

I didn't think he ever got convicted.

Neat joke, Off-It. Not convicted, but he was one of a group of players investigated by the Old Bill in connection with an alleged case of "roasting" in a Mayfair hotel.

Ah yes, if I recall a chorus of "You only sweat when you're roasting" awaited him on his return.
    Pretty certain it was his hotel room that was used for the allegations, he wasn't in that room at that time.

I thought it Titus Brambles room and Kieron Dyer was named as well.
    Who else was involved in these ALLEGATIONS.

Simon Jordan was in the hotel that night but had nothing whatsoever to do with the allegations
  • Options
    Wasn't he close to joining Stoke last season but wanted 45k a week to be their top earner who at the time was cameron jerome on 40k a week? That's what a west ham told me at work. Sure I saw similar rumours at that time aswell.
  • Options
    When the Nigels are splashing their windfall let's hope he is on their shopping list. It takes someone Dowiesque to spunk away all that money on losers.
  • Options
    I can see him going to Palace.Wasn't he born in Croydon?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ask the 'ammers fans about Cole........they don't rate him one iota
  • Options
    Parish doesn't strike me as the type to be giving some waster 30-40k a week who won't give a sh*t about the club and will only be there to pick up his wages each week. He'd be much more likely to go for a younger striker with sell on value likes Rhodes, Austin or even Dwight Gayle
  • Options

Ask the 'ammers fans about Cole........they don't rate him one iota

This

• Options
    He'll go Palarse
  • Options
    youtu.be/5zV8ggnPKwM

This is quite funny.
  • Options
    Why sign Rhodes or Austin, which will cost you 8 million plus anywhere between 5-8 million in three years of wages? When you could sign Cole on a two year contract probably for 4-6 million in wages? Rhodes only worries teams if he's scoring goals, and Palalce won't score many next season. You're better off having a lummax who might score ten, and worry defenders, whilst trying to be cute and sign competitive attacking midfielders, who are a hell of a lot cheaper: whether that be a De Guzman on loan, or a Michu at decent price. I like Austin, but it's a gamble, just like Rodriguez was.

Carlton Cole's been crucial for West Ham until this season. He has worked hard for the team in recent years. Would have thought if Parish has any sense, has to build a squad that can de-leverage quickly in the champ.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nottingham Forest have targeted him?
  • Options
    POSLCAFC said:

Seems unfair. What has Carlton ever done to Forest ?

• Options

POSLCAFC said:

Seems unfair. What has Carlton ever done to Forest ?

This is what I mean...
  • Options
    Id take Carlton Cole over Fuller any day
  • Options
    Bob22 said:

Id take Carlton Cole over Fuller any day

Why?

• Options
    ColinTat said:

Why sign Rhodes or Austin, which will cost you 8 million plus anywhere between 5-8 million in three years of wages? When you could sign Cole on a two year contract probably for 4-6 million in wages? Rhodes only worries teams if he's scoring goals, and Palalce won't score many next season. You're better off having a lummax who might score ten, and worry defenders, whilst trying to be cute and sign competitive attacking midfielders, who are a hell of a lot cheaper: whether that be a De Guzman on loan, or a Michu at decent price. I like Austin, but it's a gamble, just like Rodriguez was.

Rhodes would have a resale value, for a start. And I don't think many people wouldn't like having a striker who 'only worries teams if he's scoring goals'. Worked with us and the likes of Mendonca and Darren Bent.
  • Options
    Amazing when these threads up that there always a bunch who say things like "no thanks" or "I wouldn't have him back", as if a player of his level would be chomping at the bit to get a contract at Charlton.

We had the same this time last season when Michael Owen came available and we'd only just got out of League One!
  • Options
    ColinTat said:

Carlton Cole's been crucial for West Ham until this season. He has worked hard for the team in recent years. Would have thought if Parish has any sense, has to build a squad that can de-leverage quickly in the champ.

Sell on value. Both are young and if they do well, will make you a profit. And if you go back down, they'll be quite likely to get you 25 goals in the championship. Carlton Cole is on a downturn, he's not going to be busting a gut for anyone. Almost 30, best years behind him, and was never prolific even in his prime.
  • Options
    Not a bad player but nearly 30 years old and only about 60 goals to his name. Not worth big wages at all.