Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Minute's silence on Wed - Risk

After the tragic events yesterday the England international next Wednesday would be a perfect occasion for people to show their respects - an occasion where I think a mins silence is warranted. I will be there abd woukd want to pay my respects

However.. the game is against the Republic of Ireland. It doesn't need me to explain the history of this fixture and the view of a lot of their support in relation to Britain and British troops.

Would a mins silence be a reciepe for disaster on what could be a tense night anyway?

Your opinions?

Mine is have the silence, hope it's observed but show the Southern Irish up for what they are if they dusrupt it.

Comments

• A minutes applause would be better I think.
  • Could you imagine English following showing the respect for an Irish soldier if the game was in Ireland?
    There will definitly be a minority who would want their 5 mins of fame.
    Big hats of to the Irish following if it is observed, sadly I cant see it.
  • Safer but not fitting and it shouldn't have to come to that.
    But I still remember the Welsh disripting the Ken Bigley one at OT in 2004.
  • edited May 2013
    I don't think the English-Irish rivalry is what it was back in say the 1990s personally. Not that I don't want us to absolutely destroy them on the pitch though.

Why ? What are we celebrating ?

The minutes applause really jars me. Maybe, if some hallowed legend dies in his bed at 85 surrounded by his family it might just make sense to celebrate a life well lived. A 20 something British soldier having his head cut off in Woolwich is nothing to celebrate. Only solemn silence is appropriate.
  • After the tragic events yesterday the England international next Wednesday would be a perfect occasion for people to show their respects - an occasion where I think a mins silence is warranted. I will be there abd woukd want to pay my respects

However.. the game is against the Republic of Ireland. It doesn't need me to explain the history of this fixture and the view of a lot of their support in relation to Britain and British troops.

Would a mins silence be a reciepe for disaster on what could be a tense night anyway?

Your opinions?

Mine is have the silence, hope it's observed but show the Southern Irish up for what they are if they dusrupt it.

I would think that most Irish would respect any minute's silence.
    But a lot would be thinking it's ironic that they would be judged for their behaviour at a football match given what happened in Dublin the last time the two teams met.
    And then would that mean the no surrender choir would not be singing at the top of their voices?

It's a bit of a minefield in my opinion.
  • Minefield is the word mate.

Without going into Dublin 95 to much, despite the appalling behaviour of some English that night, it was not all one way by any means.

And the Irish refusing to even play our National anthem twice was not the best way to 'offer a hand out'.

Will be interested to see what happens Wednesday, as in any other situation there would be a silence and it will be a cop out if not.

I think most sensible Irish would respect it but any Irish can get there hands on tickets for this easily (ie not a controlled and monitored away support like England's usually is now) and most will be on the lash.

I hope it goes off okay cos I think the reaction to them disrupting it would be very bad.
  • edited May 2013

I found that comment really effing offensive...

And people talk about tarring all Muslims.

• i work with a number of irish and im of irish descent myself and i think that a lot of the old rivalry is gone, certainly the irish lads i know are going for a piss up and to see there team in london, and generally have a good night, i think they have quite a big allocation so a few will be there on a f*ck the english type of behaviour but hopefully it is respected
  • Minefield is the word mate.

Without going into Dublin 95 to much, despite the appalling behaviour of some English that night, it was not all one way by any means.

And the Irish refusing to even play our National anthem twice was not the best way to 'offer a hand out'.

Will be interested to see what happens Wednesday, as in any other situation there would be a silence and it will be a cop out if not.

I think most sensible Irish would respect it but any Irish can get there hands on tickets for this easily (ie not a controlled and monitored away support like England's usually is now) and most will be on the lash.

I hope it goes off okay cos I think the reaction to them disrupting it would be very bad.

Things have moved on, you only have to look at the Ireland v England rugby match at Croke Park.
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:

The "Southern Irish" bit probably gives the game away just a touch.

For what it's worth I would be very surprised if a silence were disrupted, true Ireland do attract some Celtic/IRA morons but this is a low key end of season friendly that will attract little interest.

The game in 1995 was played under very different circumstances.

Can still hear booing over applause
  • Curb_It said:

For what it's worth I would be very surprised if a silence were disrupted, true Ireland do attract some Celtic/IRA morons but this is a low key end of season friendly that will attract little interest.

The sad thing is I think some people would like the silence, if it happens, to be disrupted as it suits their agenda.
  • Curb_It said:

• Mine is have the silence, hope it's observed but show the Southern Irish up for what they are if they dusrupt it.

I have not tarred anyone.

IF the ROI support did disrupt it, it would show them up for what their views are, would it not? And then their support would be rightly tarred afterwards, just like England's has many times before.

I should point out I obviously don't want that to happen (I want respect for the soldier and his family) but there is still an element within their support who spout the rebel songs curb-it and make their anti-British stance very clear, so I think its a relevant issue to discuss.
  • edited May 2013
    If a few members did disrupt it it would tar all the southern Irish?

An element yes but not all Southern Irish.

I hopefully believe we have moved so much further on since then.
  • Tell that to all the Celtic fans that abused our troops at the Emirates the other season, tell that to the Cetic faithful booing the Minutes silence V Falkirk, use done under the Tri Colour.

Yes you would have thought peopel would move on but clearly that have not
  • "No blood stained poppies on our hoops" - wankers.
  • IF the ROI support did disrupt it, it would show them up for what their views are, would it not? And then their support would be rightly tarred afterwards, just like England's has many times before

No, it would show up *some* of their support, but not all of them.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!