Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First black England player revealed to be Benjamin Odeje from Charlton

Benjamin Odeje has been confirmed by the Football Association as the first black footballer to represent an England national side.

Laurie Cunningham had been recognised as England's first black footballer at any level when the then-West Bromwich Albion player appeared for the Under-21s in 1977.

But Odeje, from south-east London, was called up by England schoolboys and made his debut against Northern Ireland in front of 70,000 fans six years before Cunningham's debut.

A spokesman for the FA said: "We've spoken to our historian, and at the time the English Schools' Football Association ran the team.

"But we can confirm Benjamin Odeje was the first black player to represent England at any level."

Odeje helped England to a 1-0 win and recalls his debut at Wembley in 1971.

"I remember standing in the tunnel, and the band was still playing," he told BBC London.

"My knees were knocking and if you'd given me the choice to forget it I probably would have, I was so nervous."

He went on to play for England a number of times, but the history books seem to have forgotten him.

Cunningham, who later played for Real Madrid, has been acknowledged as the first black footballer to represent an England side.

He scored on his Under-21 debut against Scotland at Sheffield United's Bramall Lane in April 1977.

'Hard for children'
A year later Viv Anderson became the first black footballer to win a senior cap in a friendly international against Czechoslovakia at Wembley.

The FA has confirmed Benjamin Odeje was the first black player to represent England
But all this took place many years after Odeje pulled on the national jersey.

Born in Nigeria but raised in Charlton, he has also coached Queens Park Rangers.

He now runs soccer schools in north London and hundreds of children aged between five and 13 have been coached by his team.

One parent, John Palmer, told BBC London: "It is only right and proper that he gets his correct recognition.

"He was the first - and here he is still enjoying the game."

Official recognition would mean a lot to Odeje and his family.

"It's hard for my children, especially in Black History Month when they talk about history-makers at school," he explained.

"They tell friends I was the first black footballer and other children call them liars. But I am, it is a fact."

The national side is now a reflection of England's multi-cultural society.

But 42 years ago, a nervous young teenager stood in the famous Wembley tunnel about to make football history.

Comments