Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

15 Years Ago TODAY (25/5/98)..... (RECOLLECTIONS).....

.....Well all know what happened that day. But here is my brief account of the key moment from that day:

When Michael Gray stepped up to take his penalty we had scored 7 out of 7 and Sunderland had 6 out of 6. At that point my brain was all over the place and I was waiting to hear that quiet penalty shoot-out type of cheer to come from the Sunderland end. My view was quite blocked, I saw Gray run up, heard him strike the ball, then saw Sasa Ilic disappear behind all the spectators obstructing my view, diving to his left and then I heard a boomp noise without knowing exactly what it was. Still expecting to hear that light penalty shoot out type of cheer from the Sunderland end, I still heard the brief split second pause of silence and instead of that light cheer from the Sunderland end I heard a deafening roar in our end all around me and saw arms in waving in the air. I joined in with it but by then I had still slightly lost track of where we were in the game down to the pressure of the game and in the space of maybe about 2, 3, 4 seconds I looked to the sky thinking that they had finally missed a penalty, then thought “oh we've won the game”, then thought won the final and then through my drainedness the penny finally dropped that we were promoted to the Premiership. I turned and did high 5s with my brother. I then left my seat and ran down into the concourse where I really let ripped screaming YES, YES! I was back in time for the trophy presentation. Still makes me buzz thinking about it.

What are your recollections from that great day?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!