Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kit Launch

Before you read on, note this is a discussion about how Charlton go about our next kit launch, not anything to do with the actual launch. Sorry if I disappointed you.

I know last season our kit launch was slightly hurried due to getting a sponsorship deal late, and the longer we go on with no news the more it's looking the same way, however I feel like we could do a lot more with it. Clearly Nike, or their teamwear subsidiary who provide us with Nike kits, gave us no support in terms of how we went about launching the kit, however last year it was terrible done. We spent so long looking at a very baggy shirt on a dummy taken through a glarey window. The shirt itself actually turned out to look a lot smarter than my first impression.

Surely somewhere in the club we have enough photoshop talent to put together a decent campaign with an actual player modelling it - wearing a shirt that fits - for a launch shoot. Some of you may be dismissive of these big marketing campaigns but they do work, at the end of the day if it sells a few more shirts then that's money we didn't have before.

These things aren't that expensive to create, and they don't require a great deal of expertise. At the end of the day if there is nobody to do it I've got one of those snazzy SLR cameras & around 10 years of graphic design experience, I'd be happy to do it.

However, lets do things properly and not look like a non-league side this time round.

Comments

• Did they not have a photo of JJ last year looking pissed off in the kit ?.
  • These things aren't that expensive to create, and they don't require a great deal of expertise. At the end of the day if there is nobody to do it I've got one of those snazzy SLR cameras & around 10 years of graphic design experience, I'd be happy to do it.

However, lets do things properly and not look like a non-league side this time round.

I think doing these things properly does require a great deal of expertise otherwise it will look like a non-league side launching their kit. I'm not sure it needs much of a big launch, just needs doing sooner rather than later. I would imagine the number of potential customers are pretty much the same each year. Biggest thing that will help sell it is a nice design.

• shine166 said:

Did they not have a photo of JJ last year looking pissed off in the kit ?.

Would be even more pissed off this year as all our players are probably on the beach this year.

Genuine question, do you think how they market the new kit makes a big difference ? Sure it would be great to have a wonderful marketing campaign but would that have an impact on sale ? If JJ had smiled in that picture last year would you have been more inclined to buy a shirt ?
  • The red devils parachuted into the ground wearing the new shirt last year. If that wasn't a kit launch then I don't know what is.
  • se9addick said:

Would be even more pissed off this year as all our players are probably on the beach this year.

Genuine question, do you think how they market the new kit makes a big difference ? Sure it would be great to have a wonderful marketing campaign but would that have an impact on sale ? If JJ had smiled in that picture last year would you have been more inclined to buy a shirt ?

It was less to do with the picture of JJ and his frown (although I doubt that will help) and more to do with the fact that we shared the design long before it was actually finished (with the sponsor) and when we did - sat on that dummy outside the Superstore for around 2 or 3 weeks - it looked crap. The finished product was a lot better than we first thought, but by that point I personally believe people will have made up their minds as to whether they were or weren't going to buy it.
    Nug said:

I think doing these things properly does require a great deal of expertise otherwise it will look like a non-league side launching their kit. I'm not sure it needs much of a big launch, just needs doing sooner rather than later. I would imagine the number of potential customers are pretty much the same each year. Biggest thing that will help sell it is a nice design.

Nice design is obviously what is going to shift kits, from what I'm aware of we however have very limited control over that. The smartest images of kits when they are launched are quite simple to put together. Shoot it on a white background, lights shining at the players, add a few shadows/gradients. Given a decent orginal photo anyone with a reasonable knowledge of photoshop could create a launch photo like this one:

I've seen this done by an amateur team who don't even play in a competitive league:

• It's just a shirt !

• Nice design is obviously what is going to shift kits, from what I'm aware of we however have very limited control over that. The smartest images of kits when they are launched are quite simple to put together. Shoot it on a white background, lights shining at the players, add a few shadows/gradients. Given a decent orginal photo anyone with a reasonable knowledge of photoshop could create a launch photo like this one:

Not sure the club have limited control, surely they pick which Nike kit they use. I know they are from their stock range of kits, but from what I saw there are plenty of nice looking shirts in the range. Agree that a decent image might help though, although probably will only have limited effect from a sales point of view. But should be done.
  • I was up in Norfolk at the weekend. Norwich wore their 2013/14 kit for the last game of the season, and their shop (in the centre of Norwich) is well stocked, I even saw a youg boy wearing the new shirt on Saturday!
  • Before you read on, note this is a discussion about how Charlton go about our next kit launch, not anything to do with the actual launch. Sorry if I disappointed you.

I know last season our kit launch was slightly hurried due to getting a sponsorship deal late, and the longer we go on with no news the more it's looking the same way, however I feel like we could do a lot more with it. Clearly Nike, or their teamwear subsidiary who provide us with Nike kits, gave us no support in terms of how we went about launching the kit, however last year it was terrible done. We spent so long looking at a very baggy shirt on a dummy taken through a glarey window. The shirt itself actually turned out to look a lot smarter than my first impression.

Surely somewhere in the club we have enough photoshop talent to put together a decent campaign with an actual player modelling it - wearing a shirt that fits - for a launch shoot. Some of you may be dismissive of these big marketing campaigns but they do work, at the end of the day if it sells a few more shirts then that's money we didn't have before.

These things aren't that expensive to create, and they don't require a great deal of expertise. At the end of the day if there is nobody to do it I've got one of those snazzy SLR cameras & around 10 years of graphic design experience, I'd be happy to do it.

As mentioned in other kit thread, the kit wont launch until a sponsor is confirmed...
  • As mentioned in other kit thread, the kit wont launch until a sponsor is confirmed...

Or found !
  • Sponsored links:

• Do we want a kit launch, or movie trailer ? If we as broke as we a told, id rather every single spare penny went in to the club running pot
    CAFCTrev said:

Before you read on, note this is a discussion about how Charlton go about our next kit launch, not anything to do with the actual launch. Sorry if I disappointed you.

As mentioned in other kit thread, the kit wont launch until a sponsor is confirmed...

Hi question is about the method, not when it is released
  • shine166 said:

Do we want a kit launch, or movie trailer ? If we as broke as we a told, id rather every single spare penny went in to the club running pot

CAFCTrev said:

Hi question is about the method, not when it is released
    I dunno...a photo on the website or something?? Isnt that how it normally works??
  • It's purely guesswork (no analysis at all), but I reckon that you can segment Charlton fans into the following four main categories as for as shirt buying goes. Of these four groups I reckon that only one section's buying habits are likely to be greatly affected by a launch. Based on this, if I was doing the marketing for the shirts I don't think I'd put much effort into a launch because the people that that will buy are likely to do so irrespective of any big promotion. I'd put my energies into getting the design right and into some sort of tiered pricing structure so that the early adopters pay more than the laggards.

- Committed shirt buyers: Will buy a shirt come what may. Possibly the most keen on seeing a kit launch, but only as a signal that they get the new goodies soon.
    - Fashionistas: Will buy a shirt if they think it looks good, won't if they don't. May be persuaded by promotional work, but product design is likely to be the main deciding factor.
    - Bargain hunters: Won't pay premium prices. Will wait for some form of discount deal. Unlikely to be affected by a launch.
    - Non-shirt buyers: Have no desire to wear a shirt, may even be sniffy about other people wanting to wear a shirt. A launch will not affect them because they won't buy anyway.
  • Wouldn't Nike take some (all) of the launch costs? Otherwise I expect we would just use the comm teams skills which cost nothing (extra).
  • Stig said:

It's purely guesswork (no analysis at all), but I reckon that you can segment Charlton fans into the following four main categories as for as shirt buying goes. Of these four groups I reckon that only one section's buying habits are likely to be greatly affected by a launch. Based on this, if I was doing the marketing for the shirts I don't think I'd put much effort into a launch because the people that that will buy are likely to do so irrespective of any big promotion. I'd put my energies into getting the design right and into some sort of tiered pricing structure so that the early adopters pay more than the laggards.

- Committed shirt buyers: Will buy a shirt come what may. Possibly the most keen on seeing a kit launch, but only as a signal that they get the new goodies soon.
    - Fashionistas: Will buy a shirt if they think it looks good, won't if they don't. May be persuaded by promotional work, but product design is likely to be the main deciding factor.
    - Bargain hunters: Won't pay premium prices. Will wait for some form of discount deal. Unlikely to be affected by a launch.
    - Non-shirt buyers: Have no desire to wear a shirt, may even be sniffy about other people wanting to wear a shirt. A launch will not affect them because they won't buy anyway.

Exactly, launch is really not going to make a lot of difference.

Can't imagine Nike (although I believe we don't actually deal with Nike directly) would be too bothered about us when they have Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal (heard they are moving to Puma though) and England kits to shift.
  • DRF said:

Wouldn't Nike take some (all) of the launch costs? Otherwise I expect we would just use the comm teams skills which cost nothing (extra).

Unlikely as we don't have an agreement with Nike
  • Don't Mind of we don't get a new kit or anything, Just want to know to be honest, But I think it would help financially and it would be nice to have something done instead of a couple players just standing outside the ground...
  • I've been giving this some thought. If I was the club I'd concentrate on selling shirts with names on, that's where the money is and all for a little bit of ironing. I'd create a pre-order list where anybody who paid in advance for a shirt with a player name on it went into draw for that player. If they won, their prize would be to have a signed photo of that player personally handing their shirt to them. So you could take your chances and try for Jackson or Kermorgant, or you could go for a newly professionalised academy player and greatly improve your chances of a meet/photo. Anyone who had their own name, or anything else, could go into a draw for any previously unselected member of the playing/management team. As a bit of extra fun, I'd take the photos on the day that the official team photo is taken and organise an alternative team photo of all the winners which would appear in the programme.
  • That's a great idea Stig
  • Thats brilliant Stig. Seriously.

Now, please leave this forum as you are frightening/showing up many members with your posts.......
    ;-)

• Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

I've been giving this some thought. If I was the club I'd concentrate on selling shirts with names on, that's where the money is and all for a little bit of ironing. I'd create a pre-order list where anybody who paid in advance for a shirt with a player name on it went into draw for that player. If they won, their prize would be to have a signed photo of that player personally handing their shirt to them. So you could take your chances and try for Jackson or Kermorgant, or you could go for a newly professionalised academy player and greatly improve your chances of a meet/photo. Anyone who had their own name, or anything else, could go into a draw for any previously unselected member of the playing/management team. As a bit of extra fun, I'd take the photos on the day that the official team photo is taken and organise an alternative team photo of all the winners which would appear in the programme.

A plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it & call it a weasel.

I have no doubt Airman will have proposed an idea better than that some time back !

• edited May 2013
    Out of interest, what happens if the majority of the people that pay up front want a Solly shirt and he has been sold by the time the shirts arrive?
  • At the risk of joining the "We love Stig" clique - Brilliant idea.
  • Sorry, I'm not having this. It's a terrible idea. What if... bah, I can't do it. Great idea.

• edited June 2013
    Two ideas on this thread with great intentions. JR I agree a better promo for the launch could be done at minimum costs. Won't have an effect too much on sales as people say but there is no harm.

Stig ur idea is great and so clever to identify all the synergies in sales structure. Only need affect those who want to participate, therefore not the usual downside that any change brings in affecting those who prefer the status quo.

Someone needs to do this for next season. It's a great great idea and would be fairly simple to arrange I imagine. Team photoshoot part is genius