Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England captaincy v Ireland.

Anyone else finding the way Hodgson has handled this all a bit disrepectful? Seems easy enough to me, if Cole only wants to be captain of his country if it's on his terms, then Lampard keeps the armband.

It should be one of any sportsmans greatest honours imo not something that gets chucked around to anyone that feels like having a go, or only if he gets to pick and chose which bits of the role he feels like doing.

Comments

• Options
    England's best player in the last 5 years or so. Deserves the honour.
  • Options
    Its very rare to get to 100 caps for your country though.
    Compared to others who have got plenty of caps too, i bet nearly all of Cole's 100 have been starts.

• Options

Its very rare to get to 100 caps for your country though.
    Compared to others who have got plenty of caps too, i bet nearly all of Cole's 100 have been starts.

Spot on. Pretty sure I have read every single cap was a start.
  • Options
    I'm not saying he's not a good player or unworthy of his 100+ caps but it shows a lack of respect to say he'll be captain but only if he doesn't have to do this or that.
  • Options
    What are his terms?
  • Options
    I think he wanted to lead the team out but not take the armband.
  • Options
    Or do any media interviews about it
  • Options
    He didn't want to do the press conference and fair enough in my book. He is a quiet guy and doesn't do many interviews he doesnt want to sit there and talk about how big his achievements are or how significant it is that he's overcome his off field silliness and how he's turned it around after being booed with the very journos that have stitched him up for years.
  • Options
    Ridiculous, he should not be able to dictate the terms of the captaincy, it does and should come with responsibilitys beyond leading the team out, that includes talking to the media and being the voice between the team and the fans. Bad mistake by Hodgson.
    Fair play on getting 100 caps, but this is a farce.
  • Options
    The England captain is first and foremost the leader of a Football team. If he can do that via his on-pitch displays, then that'll do for me.

He is a very shy person from what I've heard people say, so I'm not surprised he doesn't want to do the press conference. After the way the media have battered him for so many years, he doesn't owe them anything.

If you look at players in the Charlton team....The likes of Chris Solly would probably be captain material in years to come, purely for his efforts on the pitch. I couldn't see him actually being very forthcoming with interviews, conferences etc.

But then again, any reason for some to knock England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JTJT
    edited May 2013
    100 caps for your country & have had a serious piece of Cheryl Cole..

• Options
    cafctom said:

The England captain is first and foremost the leader of a Football team. If he can do that via his on-pitch displays, then that'll do for me.

He is a very shy person from what I've heard people say, so I'm not surprised he doesn't want to do the press conference. After the way the media have battered him for so many years, he doesn't owe them anything.

If you look at players in the Charlton team....The likes of Chris Solly would probably be captain material in years to come, purely for his efforts on the pitch. I couldn't see him actually being very forthcoming with interviews, conferences etc.

100% Agree. Great post.

• Options
    The media have battered him for non footballing reasons. Has he had much football related criticism ? I can't think of anything but might be wrong, as don't have much interest in our England team at the mo.

This is taking the attention away from the team at the moment.
  • Options
    He got blamed and booed (FFS...) for a goal at Wembley and also got criticised by arsenal fans for moving to Chelsea. Both are ridiculous, he's been England's best player for years and shouldn't have to do a press conference. If this was a long term things and not a one off for a friendly I would probably have a different opinion about the captaincy.
  • Options

The media have battered him for non footballing reasons. Has he had much football related criticism ? I can't think of anything but might be wrong, as don't have much interest in our England team at the mo.

Yes, when he said Arsenal would only give him a £5k rise, so he went behind their backs & signed for Chelski !

• Options
    Never liked Cole meself.....
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Never liked Cole meself.....

As a player??????
  • Options

He called the FA a bunch of twats on twitter last year I think which he got abused for.

• Options
    ahhh sod him then. I've never liked him and forgot England were even playing.
  • Options
    prefer Cheryl as a person & footballer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably the best we got in that position, I wouldn't/couldn't argue with that. I don't like his attitude and his scowling towards officials which was born from his days at hard done by Goonershite. Not captain materials imo
  • Options
    Greenster said:

Yes, when he said Arsenal would only give him a £5k rise, so he went behind their backs & signed for Chelski !

Hasn't done bad since though.

Premier League: 2010 Champions League: 2012 FA Cup: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012 League Cup: 2007 Europa League: 2013
  • Options
    He doesn't appear to be a leader type...just give it to lamps.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cafctom said:

So you don't see players dictating what parts of the captains role they'll do as in anyway devaluing the honour then? I agree that on the pitch leadership comes first, that's a given. But as I understand it Lampard will be captain in all but name anyway and Cole has never been captain material at any time imo.

I understand you are younger than me and take an extremely supportive view of todays players in almost every case but you could try to understand that for many of us brought up with the likes of Moore, Keegan, Robson (and laterly Butcher and Adams) as captains it actually means something to us who leads our national team.

Those guys would run through walls for the job, Cole won't spend 30 mins with the press and Hodgson has handled it badly.
  • Options

cafctom said:

So you don't see players dictating what parts of the captains role they'll do as in anyway devalueing the honour then? I agree that on the pitch leadership comes first, that's a given. But as I understand it Lampard will be captain in all but name anyway and Cole has never been captain material at any time imo.

I understand you are younger than me and take an extremely supportive view of todays players in almost every case but you could try to understand that for many of us brought up with the likes of Moore, Keegan, Robson (and laterly Butcher and Adams) as captains it actually means something to us who leads our national team.

Those guys would run through walls for the job, Cole won't spend 30 mins with the press and Hodgson has handled it badly.
    'Moore, Keegan, Robson (and laterly Butcher and Adams)'

Cant see that any of these players would have had to handle the type of Media we have now though. Surely its a different type of relationship?
  • Options

cafctom said:

So you don't see players dictating what parts of the captains role they'll do as in anyway devalueing the honour then? I agree that on the pitch leadership comes first, that's a given. But as I understand it Lampard will be captain in all but name anyway and Cole has never been captain material at any time imo.

I'm not aware what the source is that Cole has said he doesn't want to do the press conference, but I get the impression that some are interpreting it to be a case of him demanding the captaincy and saying "I want to be captain, on my terms". It just doesn't sound likely to me. What is a more likely scenario is Cole being asked by Hodgson to be the captain and him responding "Yes, I would love to do it...Its a chance I don't want to pass up - but here's what I'm really not keen on and here's why...."

Cole's been with the England set up for yonks and has a bit more respect than to go in 'calling the shots' like many want it to be.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

He called the FA a bunch of twats on twitter last year I think which he got abused for.

He should've got praised for it.
  • Options

He didn't want to do the press conference and fair enough in my book. He is a quiet guy and doesn't do many interviews he doesnt want to sit there and talk about how big his achievements are or how significant it is that he's overcome his off field silliness and how he's turned it around after being booed with the very journos that have stitched him up for years.

He's not that quiet when he's gobbing off about the FA on Twitter
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Most England members would shake his hand for calling the fa a bunch of twats. It is the truth. Out of touch self-praising money graabbing attention seeking high and mighty twats!
  • Options

Most England members would shake his hand for calling the fa a bunch of twats. It is the truth. Out of touch self-praising money graabbing attention seeking high and mighty twats!

Sounds a bit like Prem footballers that an all