Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kindle HD Fire v Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Sorry about this as I know there's been threads around on this sort of thing in the past which I've tried to follow but get a bit lost/disinterested in some of the techie stuff. So I'll keep it simple - which one should I be looking at for a bit of surfing, watching a film or two on the train up to The Valley and reading books without the missus moaning that I've still got the light on and she can't sleep?

Had sort of made my mind up on the Fire but is it the case that I would be tied into downloading everything via Amazon? Now seen the 8G Samsung is currently £145 which leaves me with a few quid to play with to upgrade the memory with an SD card and the reviews seem very good...plus Samsung haven't been caught being creative with their their tax yet.

Comments

• Options
    Is the kindle not just for books ?
  • Options
    No Fire HD is a tablet like all others

We opted for the Lenova for my daughter, its fantastic, faster processer then the Samsung, in fact a lot of spec is better, bloke said people only get the Samsung purely for the name.
    It was so good the Mrs sold her Kindle HD, to get the Lenova as well.
    It was on offer when we got it to £169 normally £199
  • Options
    Google Nexus 7
  • Options

Google Nexus 7

This.

Not expandable with a Memory Card, so make sure you buy one with big enough built-in storage, though
  • Options
    I love my Kinde Fire and would not swap it. Mate at work has the Samsung and whilst that takes it on the design, it doesn't do it for me on simplicity. I know Amazon, I know e-readers I don't need to learn a new system.
  • Options

Google Nexus 7

This.

Not expandable with a Memory Card, so make sure you buy one with big enough built-in storage, though
    Do you really need to worry about storage with everything being in the cloud these days?
  • Options
    DRF said:

Google Nexus 7

This.

Do you really need to worry about storage with everything being in the cloud these days?
    If it is WiFi only and you want to listen / watch / play whilst out and about, then yes, I'd prefer my "stuff" onboard.

For me, there aren't enough "free" Wifi spots, yet
  • Options
    Oh blimey I knew this would happen - I hadn't even considered the Lenovo and now I'm even more undecided. Put it this way are there any of these models that I should avoid like the plague or are the differences fairly minor?

Thanks for comments btw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I cant say more than this, but I did some market research stuff the other week, there is a leading supermarket chain releasing an affordable tablet on the market very soon, very affordable (under £120). Aimed at the family and kids, does all that the others can do.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

I cant say more than this

The Co-op got you sworn to secrecy have they....

• Options

DA9 said:

I cant say more than this

The Co-op got you sworn to secrecy have they....

Technically speaking, yes, although its not them, a much bigger player, signed a contract stating that if I divulged any info I could be prosecuted, and they have major billions to sue people with.....gulp!
  • Options
    Its Tesco's isn't it.....oops, have I said too much?
  • Options

I cant confirm or deny that.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

I cant confirm or deny that.
    Go on, every little helps.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

I cant say more than this, but I did some market research stuff the other week, there is a leading supermarket chain releasing an affordable tablet on the market very soon, very affordable (under £120). Aimed at the family and kids, does all that the others can do.

Has anything happened about this?
  • Options
    Going to be launched by Simeon Jackson on Wednesday.
  • Options
    iainment said:

DA9 said:

Has anything happened about this?
    It has now.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/tesco-launch-tablet-computer-115738433.html#QsWGXsZ
  • Options
    Most of these Tablets are made in the same factories by the same companies anyway!

Foxconn and their rivals in Shenzhen have all these deals tied up and produce millions of these Tablets every week, the manufacturing process is identical.

Sure, you get the odd Turkey (Blackberry Playbook) but for every day users - not tech heads - they will struggle to see much difference.

The BIG difference is where the brand (Apple, Amazon, Google) tries to lock you in on the Apps side of the equation.