Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Local Solicitor Recommendations

I'm swapping mortgage lenders and in the process taking a name off of the mortgage/deeds (to just be in my name). That's it. I might get them to do me a will as well if they can.

I don't want to get ripped off, I see it as a very simple process (!) so if anyone local can help out, I'd much rather give them my dough.

Any contacts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Mike Newton at Watts and Leeding in New Eltham has never let me down. Reasonable prices.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am sure there are solicitors out there that do a decent job but I have yet to find one locally
    I do not expect to get cheap advice?
    Been using a solicitor in Sidcup who I had an account with, and has had a small retainer on account from me.

First thing they asked for was a fee for selling the house as well as buying......
    Then sent an A4 bit of paper, asking my children who have the cheek to live with me to sign an undertaking that they will move out on competition, charge another £150
    Pity that there girl friends will not be moving out?

I did the local searches and land registry as I wanted to see how hard it was?
    In my case simple!,
    So what would some body based 'up north' would know, as they they had 'deffered' it to because of 'caseload'
    I had even gone to the office to deliver the documents?...
    Spoke to the small chain involved yesterday they all said the same thing
    'Hopeless' was the reply.
    When I asked about details the poor legal clerk seemed all at sea as the planning laws change tommorow
    Answer "do they"
    Nice work if you can get it I guess....
  • Options
    If you havn't decided on a mortgage lender to change to yet, some offers include the conveyancing fees in the mortgage offer. I swapped to Nationwide (best rate at the time as well) about 2 months ago and it was all offered.
  • Options

I am sure there are solicitors out there that do a decent job but I have yet to find one locally
    I do not expect to get cheap advice
    Been using a solicitor in sidcup who I had an account with and has had a small retainer on account
    First thing they asked for was a few for selling the house as well as buying
    Then sent an a4 bit of paper asking my children who have the cheek to live with me to sign an undertaking that they will move out on competition charge another 1£150
    Pity that there girl friends will not be moving out?
    I did the local searches and land registry as I wanted to see how hard it was?
    In my case simple so what some body based up north would know ?
    I have even gone to the office to deliver the documents
    Spoke to the small chain involved yesterday they all said the same thing
    Hopeless
    When I asked about details the poor legal clerk seemed all at sea as the planning laws change tommorow
    Answer do they
    Nice work if you can get it iguess

I bet that helped. Predictive text ? :-)
  • Options

Mike Newton at Watts and Leeding in New Eltham has never let me down. Reasonable prices.

Seconded.
  • Options
    You should know me by now covered
    The comments were anything but predictable I think I would call it colourful to be honest ?
    But as I have found in the past where do you expect honesty in the legal trade?
  • Options
    Woolsey Morris and Kennady in Sidcup. Good for me twice.
  • Options
    WSS...I know of these guys through work, but I can't say I have used them. Rocket Lawyer is an established US business, now in the UK, which helps you put a lot of relatively simple legal docs together. There's help from a lawyer if needed and they also team up with local firms and have a deal (£40 gets you their personal deal for year) that gets you their advice (and an initial free session) at 1/3 off. Looks like one of their local firms is Thackray Williams - if anyone can confirm what they're like, it might be worthwhile.

https://www.rocketlawyer.co.uk/pricing.rl
  • Options
    Cheers guys