Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly Solly

2»

Comments

• Options

I do not understand how anyone can say that Johnson is a great RB, I agree he is a very good attacking wing back but his defending is poor and surely the first skill for a RB is defending?

You dont get the moves he has had and about 50 caps without doing some stuff right. I agree his defending could be better but its not 'poor'
  • Options
    Chris is one of the best fullbacks in the Championship and I think could quite easily make the next step up. That is a million miles from saying he's the best English right back.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

se9addick said:

Kap10 said:

Simple. We're biased.

Which right back in the Championship would you rather have ?
    None, obviously, but the original poster was saying Solly's the best right back in England which simply isn't true.

He's probably the best right back in Europe. :-0
  • Options
    I just love him. I want him to do a Rufus.
  • Options

I do not understand how anyone can say that Johnson is a great RB, I agree he is a very good attacking wing back but his defending is poor and surely the first skill for a RB is defending?

Never rated him but he was very good at the euros last year.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Was it Stephen Carr at Newcastle and elsewhere who wasn't the biggest, but had a long top-flight career? Chris Solly is a better player than he was I reckon.

Size really isn't an issue, is it? Solly is taller than Philipp Lahm, which ends all discussion really...

The 'marker' is Matt Lowton. I was impressed with him when he played at the Valley last year, but would say Solly is his equal. Lowton struggled at Villa at first (it seemed to me), but looked OK more recently. On that basis Solly would hold his own in the Prem, but he's not England material (yet)

• Options

Does anyone (outside the sensatialist press) claim he is great though....on this thread I was first to mention him and I said that as of now he was better than Solly. I stick by that, 50 odd caps and playing for Chelsea, Liverpool etc is proof enough for me.
  • Options
    Nathaniel Clyne I'm sad to say.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It's surely impossible to say Solly is the best right back in England when he's never played at the top level in England.

I would say he has the potential to be the best English right back, but to suggest he's reached his potential is ludicrous.
  • Options

You dont get the moves he has had and about 50 caps without doing some stuff right. I agree his defending could be better but its not 'poor'
    Agree with this, however . . . there are times when his defending is poor.

I've never seen a full-back who so consistently allows his man to get goal-side of him. That coupled with his habit of drifting inside to become a 'third' centre-half is a liability at times.

That said, he has played several good games for England and is by far the best option in his position.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redskin said:

Agree with this, however . . . there are times when his defending is poor.

I've never seen a full-back who so consistently allows his man to get goal-side of him. That coupled with his habit of drifting inside to become a 'third' centre-half is a liability at times.

That said, he has played several good games for England and is by far the best option in his position.
    Not if last night was anything to go by!

Would rather see Jones starting there. Johnsons ability to be either 10 yards behind his other 3 defenders, therefore playing everyone onside, or be 30 yards in front of them is ridiculous.

Cannot keep giving him chance after chance and all he does is make mistakes.
  • Options
    No he isn't better than Johnson.
    Although I would say he is more suited there than Phil 'where can I play today gaffer?' Jones.

We all know what Solly can do, he will get there one day.
    Not just yet.
  • Options
    Ball boy in the background...

• Options
    He actually looks the same age, though he was probably about 15-16 at the time!
  • Options
    He's on the phone! Also looks disturbingly like Lee Bowyer....
  • Options

In that case he's probably on the blower to pick up a bag of green
  • Options

In that case he's probably on the blower to pick up a bag of green
    Or Tommy Robinson.
  • Options

As you can see he is standing up.

• Options
    He must have been an academy player too. Do they do ball boy duty?
  • Options

As you can see he is standing up.

Maybe it isn't Solly at all - it could be his big brother.