Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

In Bruges...

Just booked a long weekend away for me and the missus on our second wedding anniversary at the end of September. Travelling by Eurostar and staying very central.

Does anybody have any recommendations for what to do and see, where to eat, etc...

Thanks.

Comments

• The Brewery Tour is a giggle.
  • Watch the film, then take your misses up the tower.
  • Watch the film, then take your misses up the tower.

Bit personal!

"Couple of manky hookers and a racist dwarf".

Brewery tour sounds good. Ta.

• We spent hours looking for a pub during the day. There aren't many. A bit easier to find at night, due to the neon lighting. If you like chocolate & lace shops you'll be very happy.
  • Just spend an afternoon having a leisurely meal and a few Qwacks at one of the restaurants in the main square and watch the world go by.
  • Cheers fellas.
  • Great film!! :-)

Take one of the canal tours. A perfect way to see a beautiful city and then take Addickted's advice. Other than that, really depends on what you both have an interest in. If it's architecture...you're in luck.
  • Absolutely amazing city. Me and the wife went just before Christmas for the weekend and had a great time. Such a picturesque city, could have walked round for hours. We ate in the square both nights (there are plenty of restaurants to choose from) but there were places off the beaten track too.

There apparently is a chocolate museum, and a chip museum! Next time we go back we are going to head there.

Just make sure wherever you eat to have waffles for dessert!!
  • edited June 2013
    Been there four times, love it, especially the crepe shop by the church/cathedral.

Also there is a nice steak place at the end of this square...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Simon_Stevinplein_(Brugge)_met_op_de_achtergrond_Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk.jpg
  • Great film also
  • Sponsored links:

• Beautiful City, been many, many times and still look forward to going back again. Some great bars around the city, I got completley bladdered on Leffe Bruin in one of them due to the friendly locals.

Canal tour is a must and of course the Torture museum if you have the stomach. Frittes with Mayonaise....yum!
  • been there a couple of times with my girlfriend, highly recommend the Gruuthuse Hof restaurant which always seems packed & is very reasonable..
  • Excellent tips and advice there fellas. Many thanks!

Can't wait now.
  • Went in March with my wife for a couple of nights and had an excellent time...not so much to do there...we just pottered around and stopped for a drink every now and again...

This place was worth a visit for the booze alone http://www.cambrinus.eu/default.htm and we ate there one evening too..

Bruge is really small, so you can see it all in a day (if you don't get distracted by the booze too much)

We stumbled across this place and I thought it was great - quiet and loads of excellent beer (of course)

http://www.cordoeanier.be/en/rosered.php

Had a superb meal a little out of the centre, recommended by our hotel...I'll try and dig out details - perfect for a romantic meal...

FYI - I didn't realise at the time that you can drive there in an hour from Calais, so am going back, with my car and mates rather than wife, to stock up in coming months.

Enjoy.
  • Wonderful little city.

There is an excellent little book called Around Bruges in 80 beers, well worth buying as lists loads and loads of bars etc.

Personally didn't rate the tower and it was a fair old effort to get to the top for an unfit bloke like me.

Lovely place to walk around, would have liked to do the canal tour but they weren't running when we went in the winter.

Ghent is also well worth going to although I don't know how long a train would take as we drove. It's similar to Bruges but a bit more lively as it's a university town.
  • There's a Tintin shop :-)
  • Corking city.... some nice little bars to chill out in, great walks and the compulsary canal tour. Went a few years back with a kiwi girl I was seeing... we ducked into a little bar called the Crash to avoid a downpour... which turned out to be the local metal/punk/football bar - result!... We stayed there for a 'few' and bullied the juke box... 'mugged off' a local who asked where I was from, and when I told him I was English, he laughed to his mates and said "what has England ever given to the world?...".."The language you're talking now mate" was my rather sharp reply.. his mates ripped the piss out of him, and I've never been that sharp again....
  • red_murph said:

Wonderful little city.

There is an excellent little book called Around Bruges in 80 beers, well worth buying as lists loads and loads of bars etc.

Personally didn't rate the tower and it was a fair old effort to get to the top for an unfit bloke like me.

Lovely place to walk around, would have liked to do the canal tour but they weren't running when we went in the winter.

Ghent is also well worth going to although I don't know how long a train would take as we drove. It's similar to Bruges but a bit more lively as it's a university town.

The Australian Ice Cream shop in Ghent made me and the Mrs laugh...They had all the roads up three years ago when I last went..I think they were re-cobbling it which will keep that medieval look. Used to go to Ghent a lot to watch the Cycling when I was younger at the Velodrome. Stayed at a really decent little Boutique hotel last time we were there....just three ultra modern suites, huge indoor pool and steam room and a great Bubble tub.
  • TEL said:

red_murph said:

Wonderful little city.

The Australian Ice Cream shop in Ghent made me and the Mrs laugh...They had all the roads up three years ago when I last went..I think they were re-cobbling it which will keep that medieval look. Used to go to Ghent a lot to watch the Cycling when I was younger at the Velodrome. Stayed at a really decent little Boutique hotel last time we were there....just three ultra modern suites, huge indoor pool and steam room and a great Bubble tub.
    Sounds pretty special that Tel. The great thing is it's really easy to get to by car from the tunnel as well.

We had a night in Dunkirk and then headed down the next morning, took no time at all and was a lovely trip. The only downside for me was that it seemed harder to find Kwak beer in Ghent than Bruges ;0)
  • edited June 2013
    There's not really a must see there. Thought the town was quality though,just a real good venue to just wander around to find another spot to have another beer and watch the world go by.

It's a small place really so there is no rush, everyone speaks English and we found the people very friendly.I thought the food was excellent everywhere we ate and you probably should book a table in advance.

We were warned that mosquitoes become a real nuisance during the summer from the canals.

I really liked it all and will probably go back for the Christmas markets

• Sponsored links:

• Arguably the most boring city in the most boring country in Europe.

• Arguably the most boring city in the most boring country in Europe.

So who was the first person to call you Grumpy?

;o)