Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

teacher training and or evening class training teaching

Hi

Am considering a career change into teaching of some sort, have loads of IT and Politics degree, and loads of A'levels and all that.

Anyone done this? Or in teaching that could offer advice, would most grateful.

Cheers

R

Comments

• Can give you some advice on TELF/ ESL if that's a route you fancy.
  • nope too old and too many responsibilities, or is it something you can do UK based?
  • Too old??? Well, I was 48 when I did my CELTA. There are quite a few schools that do year round work in the UK. However, the schools in around London do not pay that great.
  • edited June 2013
    Don't do it!!!

If you really think it is for you, I suggest you volunteer in a school for a couple of weeks.

Routes in to QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) are:
    PGCE, generally done over one school year, or two years part-time at a University with various placements in schools.
    Schools Direct. This is fairly new and is either salaried or unsalaried. Salaried positions are limited and competition for places is very high.
    Teach First I don't know too much about this route, it lasts 2 years and training is given in schools which are based in under-privileged areas.

Useful websites;

education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/school-based-training/school-direct?&gclid=CIq66d3Cx7cCFRLJtAodVykAsw

teachfirst.org.uk/AboutUs/

• Dont rush into this.

My son and a cousin are teachers. They both hate it. The stress is terrible, they quite often do 12 hours days and work weekends. All this holiday they are meant to get is a myth. On top of that Michael Gove is determined to make them work even longer and cut their pay and pensions
  • I looked into this a few years ago. I applied for a course and all that but then after spending some time in a school it occurred to me that it is not 'teaching' in the same way as one does training in the workplace, it's about crowd control.

Many of the 'children' in the classes I visited (aged 11-16) just didn't want to learn. The teachers either took them on, and spent much of the lesson with little success, or they left them with their iPod on and/or sending text messages and concentrated on teaching those that wanted to learn. All in all I got the impression that I, personally, would find it soul destroying as a career choice.

I'm not saying it's not a good career, short days, outrageous holidays and a fantastic pension (even after the necessary, and fair, reformes that are coming) but I concluded that it wasn't for me.

I would repeat what jamiebcool says, spend a couple of weeks in a school, you might find that it is nothing like you imagine based on your memories from childhood.
  • I was thinking maybe at FE level
  • If we you want to work with adults then the quickest way is to enroll on a PTTLLS (known as petals) course - Preparing to teach in the life long learning sector. This is a straightforward and short course that you can often do on a night at college and is a foot in the door to be able to deliver.
  • You would make an absolute bastard teacher Raz !
  • edited June 2013
    Did my PTLLS (Preparing for Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector) at Mid-Kent last year.

TBH, getting the bus to and from that place, surrounded by the little shits put me off teaching kids for life. I would last 5 minutes teaching kids.

I now do charity work running a jobclub for the Winfield Trust. Winfield provide amongst other things, support and basic IT training for people suffering from various degrees of depression. I enjoy it and once I actually sort myself out, will look to go into Adult Education, teaching basic English,Maths and IT.

BTW, it cost me £400 over 5 weeks (1 day a week).
  • Sponsored links:

• There are GTP, and 'skit' schemes, do your research. A GTP scheme will pay you a bit as you train on the job for a year, but to be accepted is not straightforward. A lot of GTP trainees have been in schools as support assistants or cover supervisors.
    As for the kids not wanting to learn, well you may contemplate two approaches. One approach is where you declare you are a wizard in whatever subject, the kids are jolly lucky to have you there, and they will hang on to your every word or deed no matter what.
    The other approach is one where you recognise the kids don't want to be there at all, and you have to 'sell' the learning to them. Entice them in, intrigue them and so forth.
    There are other approaches of course, and when it goes well the teaching is utterly thrilling and fulfilling, when it goes badly it is utterly crushing.
    It is a hard job, but the whole world think they are experts because they have been to school themselves, and they will be quick to tell you how to do the job.
    If you become a teacher the job is always always 'with' you, you will never relax about it until you retire, weekends and holidays are there of course, but the job will always be a worm inside your head until you're not doing it any more.
    It is possible to doss and take the mick of course, but those teachers tend to be found out eventually, and chucked out.
  • razil said:

Hi

Am considering a career change into teaching of some sort, have loads of IT and Politics degree, and loads of A'levels and all that.

Anyone done this? Or in teaching that could offer advice, would most grateful.

Cheers

R

The University of Greenwich do a Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector, PGCE (FE Colleges) - including an evening class/ part time option:

http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/courses/pg/edll/llpgce

The OU do a part time PGCE to teach at school level (but it's hard going):

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/qualification/K20.htm

I've done both (some years ago).
  • @micks1950 and how did it go for you?
  • razil said:

@micks1950 and how did it go for you?

I did both of them in the '90s while working full time and planning for 'voluntary' redundancy.

I passed both but (based on my experience of teaching practice in Hackney) I would agree with some of what kings hill addick says about the 'challenge' of teaching at secondary school level. I ended up teaching in a FE College which I enjoyed on the whole - although you need to bear in mind that there's a lot of job insecurity in FE (and lots of staff on short term/part time contracts).

As it's reasonably close - as a first step - I'd probably recommend arranging to talk to someone at University of Greenwich - about the course in general, funding and job prospects.

• I'm middle management in a Primary School. PM me if you'd like help or would like to do some practise.
  • My wife teaches (infant school) and has helped a friend's wife get on the ladder as a TA. I'll ask her for advice if you'd like> Especially today, she's in a good mood, found out that she's made head of school from September.
  • Happy to answer any questions you have. I'm a deputy head in a London secondary school. Feel free to pm me too.