Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FAO PragueAddick - Flooding

Sorry what is going on in Central Europe at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    Hope Prague has some decent waders .....
  • Options
    Just watching on news. Looks bad over there.
  • Options
    Indeed it does.

Didn't mean to be flippant. Apologies, Prague.
  • Options
    Glug!
  • Options
    Just watched the news and it looks serious in the Prague area.

Really hope you are safe & sound, PA .
  • Options
    Hello. Thanks Disco and all of you for the thoughts. I am safe and well, both home and office are well out of the way of any risk, but many people are not so lucky.

It comes only 11 years after a really bad one, which was the worst for 100 years. This one is not so bad in Prague, although further north, it is.

In my office, my Czech colleagues were pondering how it is that Britain, which they assume to get much more rain, manages to handle it better. How do we do it, they asked. I wasn't sure. I mentioned the Thames Barrier and other major river controls. I am not sure whether there may be stricter planning controls in flood -prone areas. And of course we have had floods. But I think not in major cities.

Would be interested in your thoughts on that
  • Options
    It's because we have such hot summers that really drop the water table.

In fairness we have had some awful floods in parts of the UK in last few years.

• Options
    edited June 2013

Hello. Thanks Disco and all of you for the thoughts. I am safe and well, both home and office are well out of the way of any risk, but many people are not so lucky.

It comes only 11 years after a really bad one, which was the worst for 100 years. This one is not so bad in Prague, although further north, it is.

In my office, my Czech colleagues were pondering how it is that Britain, which they assume to get much more rain, manages to handle it better. How do we do it, they asked. I wasn't sure. I mentioned the Thames Barrier and other major river controls. I am not sure whether there may be stricter planning controls in flood -prone areas. And of course we have had floods. But I think not in major cities.

Good point, could it be that this island is hilly (and mountainous in Scotland) so the natural gradients which roll into the sea make it harder for water to accumulate in large quantities? Of course that's qualified by instances of extreme flooding in flat areas (Boscastle for instance).
  • Options
    Czecko is landlocked isn't it? So It might be something to do with us being an island and plenty of waterways to take excess water to the sea. It's only in extreme conditions that rivers flood because they can't handle the excess water and damage is caused when their banks burst. Unfortunately this seems to be happening more often and it costs a few bob to insure your house if you live near a permanent waterway. (Just seen the other posts, takes me ages to type: sorry for duplication)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Good point, could it be that this island is hilly (and mountainous in Scotland) so the natural gradients which roll into the sea make it harder for water to accumulate in large quantities? Of course that's qualified by instances of extreme flooding in flat areas (Boscastle for instance).
    Boscastle? Flat? The flooding was caused by the downpour being funnelled down the two steep valleys that run into Boscastle (yes, the harbour area is flat but the town/village generally is far from it.

Now, if you had cited Carlisle from a few years back http://snipurl.com/276utwb I could see your point!