Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burnley footballer Charlie Austin has been found guilty of assaulting a man in a nightclub.

Swindon Magistrates' Court heard the 23-year-old punched Sam Webb, 20, in the face after an altercation in Bushwackers in Swindon on 13 October.

The former Swindon Town striker had denied the charge and said he was acting in self-defence.

He was found guilty of common assault by beating, fined £1,800 and ordered to pay £1,320 in costs.

The court was told that Mr Austin and his partner Bianca Parker, who live in Ramsbottom near Burnley, had returned to Swindon to visit Ms Parker's parents.

On the night of Saturday 13 October the couple were in the club in Swindon town centre.

Mr Webb told the court that he had disturbed Mr Austin in a toilet cubicle where he saw the footballer "hunched over" the toilet bowl.

'Sniffing sound'

He said he heard a "sniffing sound" and suspected Mr Austin was using some kind of street drug.

Mr Webb said as a Swindon Town fan he recognised him and asked him why he was taking drugs when he was a professional footballer.

He said Mr Austin then swung at him in the toilet and missed, but later confronted him back in the club.

Mr Webb said he walked up to him and punched him "square in face" and "in revenge" because he was annoyed at being disturbed.

Mr Austin refuted any allegations of drug-taking saying it would end his career as a professional footballer as the FA carries out random drug-testing.

He claimed he was using a cubicle as the urinals were busy and said the door was opened by a group of men who were filming him on their phones because of who he was.

Mr Austin said he had experienced problems in Swindon since his transfer to Burnley in January 2011, from fans who were annoyed by his transfer.

He said he left the toilet and Mr Webb and another man came towards him in "a threatening manner" and he punched him in self defence.

Magistrates decided that there had been no threatening behaviour from the witness, so Mr Austin had no grounds to claim self defence.

Comments

• Options
    I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a professional footballer and some tosser from Swindon started claiming they'd seen me snorting coke in a nightclub toilet.
  • Options
    He lives in a place called ramsbottom. Could you find a more northern sounding place to live
  • Options

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a professional footballer and some tosser from Swindon started claiming they'd seen me snorting coke in a nightclub toilet.

The magistrates' decision vindicates the "tosser from Swindon". Austin's goal against us at The Valley last season was certainly a corker - was it "performance enhanced"?

• Options
    Burnley should cancel his contract.

Austin then should sign with a manager who will sort him out like Chris Powell.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Burnley should cancel his contract.

Austin then should sign with a manager who will sort him out like Chris Powell.

How about Frank Maloney?

• Options

The magistrates' decision vindicates the "tosser from Swindon". Austin's goal against us at The Valley last season was certainly a corker - was it "performance enhanced"?

No it says he wasn't being threatening. I'm not saying Austin wasn't guilty of assault. Just saying I don't really blame him.
  • Options

He lives in a place called ramsbottom. Could you find a more northern sounding place to live

Thats where my Sis in Law comes from
  • Options
    Good.

Sounds well deserved, barging in on someone in the toilet just because they're a footballer.
  • Options
    Do a quick google search of 'Charlie Austin drugs' and you'll read about him having a history of apparent drugs problems in his career. Also reports of him shagging the goalkeepers wife at Swindon which 'helped' his move to Burnley and apparently left his girlfriend and kid when moving up there. By all accounts sounds like a complete billy big bollocks prick and when you contrast his behaviour with his strike partner Danny Ings it shows you what a poor example of a professional he is.
  • Options
    Alternatively, it proves that the Internet is a cesspool of rumour, innuendo and hearsay with no firm evidence passed off as fact.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This happened in October last year when he was scoring in almost every game and everyone was talking about him. I don't believe he would have risked everything by taking drugs in a nightclub loo.
  • Options
    Is Charlie his real name or a nickname?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    edited June 2013
  • Options

Alternatively, it proves that the Internet is a cesspool of rumour, innuendo and hearsay with no firm evidence passed off as fact.

I see David Beckham's sex change was a complete success! Good on him her!
  • Options
    A nightclub called Bushwackers?!?! Named by millwall fans by any chance?
  • Options

Upper Ramsbottom?
  • Options

Upper Ramsbottom?
    I'm sure that's in Wales, think about it.
  • Options

Upper Ramsbottom?
    I'm sure that's in Wales, think about it.
    Bhaaaaaad taste.

• Options
    No-one's mentioned the girlfriend - Bianca Parker!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fair response from austin
  • Options

No-one's mentioned the girlfriend - Bianca Parker!

Good point. Or rather, two points.