Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell and the Longest Serving Current League Managers

Championship managers in bold

1. Arsène Wenger OBE appointed Sep 1996 Arsenal

2. Paul Tisdall appointed Jun 2006 Exeter City

3. Greg Abbott appointed Dec 2008 Carlisle United

4. Chris Wilder appointed Dec 2008 Oxford United

5. Nigel Clough appointed Jan 2009 Derby County

6. Gus Poyet* appointed Nov 2009 Brighton & Hove Albion

7. Mark Yates appointed Dec 2009 Cheltenham Town

8. Russell Slade appointed Apr 2010 Leyton Orient

9. Karl Robinson appointed May 2010 MK Dons

10. Graham Turner appointed Jun 2010 Shrewsbury Town

11. Tony Mowbray appointed Oct 2010 Middlesbrough

12. Alan Pardew appointed Dec 2010 Newcastle United

13. Darren Ferguson appointed Jan 2011 Peterborough United

14. Chris Powell appointed Jan 2011 Charlton Athletic

15. Dean Smith appointed Jan 2011 Walsall

* Currently suspended but still manager

Comments

• Options
    Wenger is the longest serving of the 92 clubs and all of the 91 other clubs have changed their manager at least once since Arsenal last won a trophy.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited June 2013
    Pardew won't be there at Xmas

Poyet will soon be gone

• Options
    Powell only in a job 2 and a half years and is now the 14th longest serving manager. shows there isnt enough faith these days in managers. Could go up a few places soon too if Robinson leaves for Wigan or a coaching job at Liverpool, Poyet will also leave over the summer we all assume. Mowbray will need a good start next year as will Pardew in order to keep their boards & fans happy.

I think by the time Powell's 3 year anniversary comes round, he could be in the top 10 serving managers. 3 years doesnt seem long enough to be in the top 10.
  • Options
    It's weird because you really get the sense that we are just beginning under the Powell era yet he is the 14th longest serving manager in the entire league
  • Options
    In 2012, out of the 92 clubs - 47 changed their manager.
  • Options
    You have to say as well that all those lower league clubs keeping faith have performed better than expected this year - Cheltenham play-offs 2 years running, Orient just outside, MK Dons play offs last year, just outside this, Shrewsbury stayed up.
  • Options
    After the next season he will probably be about 8th.
  • Options
    ......I think we had more than our quota in the pre-Powell decade though!
  • Options

In 2012, out of the 92 clubs - 47 changed their manager.

Insane statistic.

• Options
    Three ex Charlton players in the top 15 good going.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the problem is that directors don't want a manager, they want a miracle worker. Turfing the manager is such an easy option and probably a not too expensive one at lower league level. It's perceived to be a "quick ( usually non- ) fix" and it's always useful for the board to have a scapegoat.

A statement of the obvious but success, or the lack of it, has to be judged in the context of resources and not all teams can progress year on year ( something we all need to remind ourselves of from time to time ) .

After four and a half very difficult years - following 24 years of quality management from Lenny and the Curbs - let's hope that Chris Powell can get himself into the top 5 longest serving managers. Amongst the respective fan bases, I doubt that any of those managers enjoy more support than he does - at least at the present time.
  • Options
    And how many of those in the top 15 have had to take shit off their own fans in the past 6 months that they want them out and a new man in?

Most of them?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

And how many of those in the top 15 have had to take shit off their own fans in the past 6 months that they want them out and a new man in?

Most of them?

Actually I doubt it, apart from Wenger, Mowbray and Pardew. I've got the impression that most of the lower league clubs who stick with their manager have fans who have more realistic expectations. Sure, a bad run would probably change it, but I think most lower league fans have got a longer term view and see building over time as a better bet. In terms of how well supported those teams are, all have overachieved recently.

• Options
    rananegra said:

Off_it said:

Most of them?

Actually I doubt it, apart from Wenger, Mowbray and Pardew. I've got the impression that most of the lower league clubs who stick with their manager have fans who have more realistic expectations. Sure, a bad run would probably change it, but I think most lower league fans have got a longer term view and see building over time as a better bet. In terms of how well supported those teams are, all have overachieved recently.

So, you don't think people have been people calling for Powell to be replaced in the past six months then? Where have you been?

As for the comment about lower league clubs, just because their fans don't dominate the airwaves/internet like the bigger clubs do doesn't mean they haven't still got their proportionate share of muppets who don't allow a manger even a modicum of time before they start demanding he gets sacked!
  • Options

2. Paul Tisdale appointed Jun 2006 Exeter City

3. Chris Wilder appointed Dec 2008 Oxford United

4. Mark Yates appointed Dec 2009 Cheltenham Town

5. Russell Slade appointed Apr 2010 Leyton Orient

6. Karl Robinson appointed May 2010 MK Dons

7. Graham Turner appointed Jun 2010 Shrewsbury Town

8. Alan Pardew appointed Dec 2010 Newcastle United

9. Darren Ferguson appointed Jan 2011 Peterborough United

10. Chris Powell appointed Jan 2011 Charlton Athletic

11. Dean Smith appointed Jan 2011 Walsall

12. Micky Adams appointed May 2011 Port Vale

13. Jim Bentley appointed May 2011 Morecambe

14. Paul Cox appointed May 2011 Mansfield Town

15. Sam Allardyce appointed June 2011 West Ham United

• Options

Three ex Charlton players in the top 15 good going.

make that top 10
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

2. Paul Tisdale appointed Jun 2006 Exeter City

3. Chris Wilder appointed Dec 2008 Oxford United

4. Mark Yates appointed Dec 2009 Cheltenham Town

5. Russell Slade appointed Apr 2010 Leyton Orient

6. Karl Robinson appointed May 2010 MK Dons

7. Graham Turner appointed Jun 2010 Shrewsbury Town

8. Alan Pardew appointed Dec 2010 Newcastle United

9. Darren Ferguson appointed Jan 2011 Peterborough United

10. Chris Powell appointed Jan 2011 Charlton Athletic

11. Dean Smith appointed Jan 2011 Walsall

12. Micky Adams appointed May 2011 Port Vale

13. Jim Bentley appointed May 2011 Morecambe

14. Paul Cox appointed May 2011 Mansfield Town

15. Sam Allardyce appointed June 2011 West Ham United

Smith above Powell and Ferguson due to when in jan he was appointed
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Football_League_managers
  • Options
    Only nine of twenty-four managers in the Championship have been in their job for more than a year. Only two have been in their job for over two years. No Championship manager has been in their current job for three years or more.

Chris Powell is the longest serving Championship manager.

That's madness.