Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saving A & E at Lewisham Hospital

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for that, BFR.

It sounds like what they should be doing is looking for a way to get out of the stupid PFI contracts that SLH trust are handcuffed to. I have read about 'PFI abuse' in other hospitals and public services and it to me is unbelievable - it was like the governmental equivalent of borrowing a load of cash from Wonga.com at ridiculous interest rates and then leaving it for the next poor sod in charge to have to deal with the hugely disproportionate debt. Seriously, whoever signed these things should be held to account and prosecuted. They amount to criminal negligence in my book and have seen a vast transfer of our taxes out of the public services into the hands of financiers when it could go towards improving patient care. It's absolutely bloody scandalous.....
  • Options
    congrats to all involved

we are losing our A & E and our maternity and in the end the whole hospital at Chase farm, it was fine until they built the new hospital in Barnet it had little to no debt and was managed well

then its trusts joined or something like that and the debt on chase farm increased

so a decision was made to close it

the options are North mid or Barnet hospital for all Enfield residents

from my house to Barnet hospital in no traffic I could do the journey to Barnet in 20 mins in traffic double or treble in traffic

Nth Mid hospital is the closest to me out of the 2 and I could get there in ten mins so no big deal

but if you think that now the whole of Enfield will be prob going there when they need to and north mid covers Edmonton, Tottenham ,Haringey and the amount of people will be immense that will be streaming through there

the hospital will be pushed to its limits

sickening really but if one hospital can survive then it gives hope to others but I fear its too late
  • Options
    Big Samera it much worse than WONGA . There are stunningly huge penalties for geting out of these PFI contracts. Example would be paying all the profit for the remaining life of the contract(20 years + worth)

You pay a base cost for the building of a hospital/school and sign up to pay back the money over 30 years. ALL services are included in THEIR contract, except these are basic services and suddenly you find huge amounts of servives are outside THE CONTRACT but you stil have to use either their contractor or pay mark ups to 20/30% on top.

These hospitals that are closing--------trust me we are still incurring costs, the additional non contract costs are not being incurred but the base contract cost is.

• Options
    Fantastic news ! Well done to all concerned .
  • Options
    RoyRoy
    edited July 2013
    "SAVE LEWISHAM HOSPITAL, DEFEND THE NHS" were the words that I chanted VERY LOUDLY marching alongside Lewisham Deptford MP, Dame Joan Ruddock, and I have just shared the GOOD NEWS from this page here on facebook Save Our Local Hospitals: South East London http://www.facebook.com/groups/121464388006885/ Thank you Charlton Life & @Miserableoldgit too
  • Options
    Govt will appeal the decision and waste yet more of our money trying to get the high court ruling overturned. Not one single person apart from some poncy politician wants this to happen. I detest politicians with a passion.
  • Options
    Having marched last year this is great news, although we need to keep an eye on Government so that neither this nor future Governments (Of any colour) achieve their aims by stealth and funding starvation.

The real issue now is the funding of the NHS on a national basis in the light of the disastrous contracts that Labour agreed and rising costs of treatment through new technology and drugs. This will be a challenge in the light of the existing spending cuts which are not going to go away in a hurry.
  • Options

Govt will appeal the decision and waste yet more of our money trying to get the high court ruling overturned. Not one single person apart from some poncy politician wants this to happen. I detest politicians with a passion.

I know a few
  • Options

I know a few
    Why would any normal person want it to happen ?

• Options

I know a few
    Just Fuck Off Nathan.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I know a few
    Just Fuck Off Nathan.

PMSFL well said Moggy

• Options
    At the last march, as well as seeing Kevin Nolan and other Charlton supporters I recognised, it has to be said I saw Millwall, Crystal Palace, West Ham and Liverpool supporters too. proud to be part of the campaign, and it reminds me that people power sometimes has a chance. We may need to organise ourselves in a different cause before long.
    Join and participate in the trust folks.
  • Options
    Went down to the court, great moment when announced. Nice to see a judge can be honest and spot an illogical proposal.
  • Options

I know a few
    Why would any normal person want it to happen ?

Nathan isn't normal!
  • Options
    Ignore him and the others who said we were wasting our time.
  • Options

I know a few
    Just Fuck Off Nathan.

Says the one who just posts links all day. Doing that brings nothing to the site at all
  • Options

I know a few
    Just Fuck Off Nathan.

Says the one who just posts links all day. Doing that brings nothing to the site at all
    Nathan, as you grow up (hopefully) you will discover that quite often it's better to, say or in this case type, nothing rather than doing so just to advertise what a fool you are.
    MOGs links are very useful to many who want to be informed.
  • Options
    Press release from 38 degrees today.

This is HUGE news. Today, we got the verdict in the court case against health secretary Jeremy Hunt, which 38 Degrees members helped to pay for.

It's the result we had all hoped for: the judge ruled that Jeremy Hunt acted illegally. He's been ordered to scrap his plan to cut A&E and maternity services at Lewisham Hospital, south London. [1]

This is fantastic news for the people of Lewisham. But it's also great news for the rest of us. If Jeremy Hunt had got away with this in Lewisham, no hospital would have been safe.

When the Save Lewisham Hospital campaign decided to take Jeremy Hunt to court, thousands of us from all across the UK stepped in to help. Together, chipping in whatever we could afford, we raised the £20,000 they needed to launch their legal challenge. [2]

It's not often that ordinary people come together to take the government to court. That was an impressive achievement in itself. But to win – and to prove that Jeremy Hunt is breaking the law – is simply amazing.

There will be so much more to do if we're going to stop and reverse this government's damaging attacks on our health service. In Lewisham, there's a chance the government may appeal the court's decision. Everywhere else, there are cuts, privatisation, and low care standards for us to battle against.

Today is a great win - but the Save our NHS campaign will need to go on tomorrow!

But let's take a little bit of time to celebrate first. Here are two ways to toast this success:

1. Raise a glass this evening to all the people who made this breakthrough possible. The 38 Degrees members who donated. All the other 38 Degrees members who are involved in the Save Our NHS campaign. The brilliant local campaigners in the Save Lewisham Hospital campaign who have worked tirelessly for months. The crack legal team at Leigh Day solicitors. And the wonderful local NHS staff who've just kept going despite their hospital being under threat.

2. Forward this e-mail to any friends or contacts who could do with a little bit of inspiration. Sometimes it can feel like it's impossible for us to make a difference. Today's success proves that when enough of us work together, we really can. People power works!

Here's what Dr Louise Irvine, chair of the Save Lewisham Hospital campaign, has to say:

"We're delighted by the judgement and the support we've got from Lewisham and beyond, especially from 38 Degrees members who donated to make today's victory possible and helped give us the confidence to stand up to Jeremy Hunt in court".

Thank you for everything you do,

David, Susannah, Ian, Travis, Blanche and the 38 Degrees team

PS: If you're on Facebook or Twitter why not celebrate there too?
  • Options
    Fantastic news. Congratulations to all those campaigned to keep the A+E open.

Well done as well to 38 degrees for helping to bring it to court.

• Options
    edited August 2013

I know a few

*Apologies for going off topic*

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done to those that fought this.
    Not sure where this leaves the other hospitals in the trust, like QM and QE.
  • Options
    Well done to everyone involved in any way - amazing but totally deserved outcome!
  • Options
    Heidi Alexander ‏@heidi_mp
    Fantastic turnout at #Justice4Lewisham rally last night. Feel very proud to be part of @SaveLewishamAE campaign. pic.twitter.com/7DumQxDwh8
  • Options

I know a few
    Just Fuck Off Nathan.

People click on those links and read the articles.

You, however, are nothing but a parasite, what do you bring to our country? A drain on hard working peoples (like mog) taxes. How you have the cheek to call someone else out on what they contribute to a site you have been previously banned from is beyond me. This is without even getting into the fact most people see you as a bit of a useless joke on here and those that don't and have tried to help you, how did you repay them? Pretty much by spitting in their face and rejecting any chance of pulling yourself above the bottom rung of society.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
  • Options
    SaveLewishamA&E ‏@SaveLewishamAE
    Thought you might like to share this around :-) #Justice4Lewisham via @Nytspider pic.twitter.com/TwedDDhYdy
  • Options
    ALEXANDER, Heidi
    2:54 PM (1 hour ago)

to info
    Dear Lewisham Hospital Supporter

I know I haven't been in contact for a while about the campaign to save the A&E and maternity department at Lewisham, but we have been awaiting the outcome of the legal challenges that were brought against the Government by the Save Lewisham Hospital Campaign and Lewisham Council.

As I am sure you will know, the good news from last week is that "we won" - at least for the time being! The decision of the Secretary of State for Health, Jeremy Hunt regarding services at Lewisham Hospital has been quashed in the High Court and the effective closure of the A&E and maternity department has been halted.

I am writing to say a big thank you for your support for the campaign so far and to ask you to do one more thing ...

Despite the ruling last week that Mr Hunt was acting unlawfully when he took a decision to decimate services at Lewisham based upon the Trust Special Administration process that had taken place, the Government were given permission to take the case to the Court of Appeal.

We need to persuade the Government to accept defeat gracefully and not to waste further time and money in the courts by appealing this judgement further.

The campaign website 38 Degrees has set up a petition which calls upon the Government to accept the Lewisham Hospital High Court ruling - please sign it today and forward this email to your friends and family asking them to do the same:

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/accept-the-lewisham-hospital-decision

Thank you once again for your support so far - it's been an incredible campaign and shows what can be achieved when we come together to fight for a cause we believe in.

Best wishes

Heidi Alexander MP (Labour MP for Lewisham East)

PS - If you want to stay up to date with my activities in relation to Lewisham Hospital or other issues, please like my Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @heidi_mp
  • Options
    A couple of years ago I knew a guy who broke his leg playing Sunday football. He was taken to Lewisham A&E. His leg was reset incorrectly, complications arose, and eventually he had to have the leg amputated. I have used Lewisham as my local hospital all of my life. I am not a fan. It compares very poorly on a number of levels to the experience I have had at Princess Royal.

People also need to remember that the NHS exists primarily to benefit the people who pay for its services through their taxes, not those who work in it.
  • Options

People also need to remember that the NHS exists primarily to benefit the people who pay for its services through their taxes, not those who work in it.

A strange coment to make, as I dont think anyone used the campaign for anything less than a loss of services as the main point and any affects it has on the staff was a side issue.

Everybody who works there also pays taxes, so they also benifit from its services!