Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

laptop repair

I need to repair the lads laptop, its nothing fancy, an Asus, the internal power pin where the source plugs into the laptop is loose therefore only charging if you hold it in the exact position.
I took it into a local shop and was quoted £90 (£5 parts and £85 labour)
Anybody know a reliable cheap place for repairs (or do it themselves) as id him not have it than lay out £90.
It needs soldering back in place.

Comments

• Options
    DIY, the reason for the high quote is that you have to dismantle the laptop to get to the board.............time consuming.
    Search youtube to find a video how to do it.

Cheapest option would be to tape the lead in place.
  • Options
    I have had a go but cant get to it.
    Its hanging by a thread and cant be taped.
    Thanks anyway.
  • Options
    Lol thanks mate, im relieved I stopped when I did when I tried to self do the repair myself. (About 1minute in!!)
  • Options
    My aunt used this place in Gravesend to get a very similar issue fixed and there's no way she would have paid what you were quoted, so they must be cheaper.

Laptop World
    Address: 86 Parrock Rd, Gravesend DA12 1QF
    Phone:01474 333362
  • Options

Thanks anyway.

I used a place in Welling High St, can't remember the name - opposite the Nags Head but slightly towards Tesco, just a little shop but were excellent and cheap.
  • Options
    Other option if you don't want to dismantle, is to carefully (ie just cut the plastic) cut an access around the power input point.
    Fix (solder) and glue back.
    If the laptop isn't worth much (couple years old), probably best option.
  • Options

Thanks anyway.

I used a place in Welling High St, can't remember the name - opposite the Nags Head but slightly towards Tesco, just a little shop but were excellent and cheap.
    Dan was that on same side of road as new tescos?
    The other quote I got was also in welling
  • Options

Thanks anyway.

I went there before. Was charge quite a lot for them not finding out what the problem was (£60)
  • Options
    It was called PCUK Computer centre
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thanks anyway.

Yes mate, but I think there's another close by
  • Options
    Disk world 56/58 welling high street, it's just along from Tesco, it's on the same side of the road.

Nice friendly people always happy to help.

Tel 0208 304 3040
  • Options
    Cheers all
  • Options
    PCUK is just past the library going towards Shooters Hill, so not the one mentioned on here. The owners wife is a right babe.
  • Options
    There's a little shop on plumstead common road. Coming from charlton it's on left hand side and just at the dip. Call them to see if they could quote over the phone.
  • Options
    I had the same problem with that charging pin coming lose, to the point where mine wouldn't charge at all. Got it fixed for £55 by these guys - http://www.computeritservice.co.uk/index.php

Made sure I got the quote first, then he came round to pick it up and got it back to me a couple of days later. Told him I didn't want anything else fixed as was having it replaced a couple of months later, but he cleaned out my fan for free as well.
  • Options
    this is the one i mentioned but no idea if cheaper than Happy's.

http://www.pcs4you.co.uk/
  • Options
    All, Thanks for all your comments.
    Luckliy for me one of our fellow CL member Strasburger got in touch repaired it for me.
    I would honestly get in touch with him if you need any repairs done.
    Very very reasonable and a top man to boot.

Cheers all.
  • Options

PCUK is just past the library going towards Shooters Hill, so not the one mentioned on here. The owners wife is a right babe.

she is.
    and Charlton to.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    My daughter has manged to drop her touch screen laptop and has cracked the screen along with the case. It's a Dell Inspiron 15R Touch, Windows 8 64bit and is about 18 months old. Cost about £480

Anybody know of someone who can repair it and roughly how much?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Sounds like you need a new one paid for by the accidental damage section of your contents insurance :wink:
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Sounds like you need a new one paid for by the accidental damage section of your contents insurance :wink:

That what I was thinking, will have to check on my excess.
  • Options
    PCUK in Welling as mentioned above. Fixed my smashed iPad screen a couple of months ago.