Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

macbook pro love in thread

love my 14 incher, but hate the mail app, and auto complete wdnt go back to pc now

Comments

• Options
    Talk about it with your wife...she'll love that you want her to share your interests :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Don't like apple but my iMac has served me well the last year! One thing I hate is when they remove support for a programme and such. DVD Studio Pro and compressor were great industry standard applications cut loose by apple. I guess I'm just mad because I've learnt all my editing skills on Final Cut Pro 7 and now it's looking like that will be phased out in the next osX update.
  • Options
    When you've got to pay £1200 for a decent mac, I just can't help but think you could have a very good laptop/superb gaming PC.

You could even buy a rover 75 for that money
  • Options
    I've always worked in apple-centric environments (was an ACMT, then a iOS developer, and now a mobile/web developer) but I must admit, I've always found the idea of forking out that much quite alarming. I built a hackintosh a few years ago just to have access to the developer toolchain without having to pay £1000~ for a genuine apple machine.

That said, I'm typing this on my MacBook Pro and I've really fallen in love with it. I've been using it for about 5 months now, and things are just perfect. I think I'll probably end up getting one in the future again. I just loathe the fact I'm paying a massive mark-up a collection of components that are essentially the same as any other computer (minus the logic board etc).

Major benefits I've found though:
    - Battery life; simply superb. No matter how taxing a task I'm doing, I never seem to be let down by battery.
    - Durability; Yeah, it may be surprisingly heavy - but I trust this thing being thrown around a bit in my bag.
    - The app store; Erghhh - hated this idea - but it's actually been implemented very very well.

I agree fully with kentaddick though; Apple don't pull their punches when it comes to supporting specific features/products when they deploy updates. As a developer, having to keep up to date with the latest version of OS X (even if I'm not developing for OSX specifically, but rely on the same toolchain.. very annoying) does pose some problems with regards to software compatibility.
  • Options
    Overpriced rubbish for sheep.
  • Options
    Love my 15 incher. Use it for work not for gaming and although you can get Adobe apps for PC it's a no brainer.

Use 27 inch iMac and PCs at work, I know what OS I prefer - even OS9 is cleaner than say Windows 7.

Would I buy one if I didn't use it for work though? Due to expense, probably not, but for those who have the cash for a nicer experience, why not?

• Options
    I'd always been on the windows side of things then about six years ago the father in law bought a new macbook and gave us his old one . I really struggled to get on with it and when we got burgled and it was stolen I used that as an excuse to go back to windows. Less than a couple of months later I realised how much I actually liked the macbook and bought a new one.

Wouldn't go back now , I have windows in the bootcamp partition on my mac and use it very very rarely.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    maybe mine is 15" will have to get my ruler out.. ;)

best part about it is it was free..

Also strangely enough the wife does share my interest (keep it clean ooer matron) as she apparently is the worlds first female 'mac genius'