Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ford Fiesta ST - Any owners?

Looking at buying one, any owners on here?

- Fun? Reliable? Anything to look for?

Not the new shape the 2006 Model by the way :-).

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Had one for a year moved on to the Focus ST

The fiesta is a nice car - a little hard ride but decent acceleration.

If you can get the later model (i think 09 is the latest they did) as they came with a better radio and a refreshed look.
  • Options
    Did you mod it at all? Heard the exhaust and air filter is very restrictive.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Good cars but seem underpowered. Getting a map from Mountune can soon sort that out. Find one with the upgraded Sony headunit if you can

RenaultSport Clio 200s are more fun and more powerful, but suffer from the usual French rattles. Much better than my old 172 though.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Good cars but seem underpowered. Getting a map from Mountune can soon sort that out. Find one with the upgraded Sony headunit if you can

RenaultSport Clio 200s are more fun and more powerful, but suffer from the usual French rattles. Much better than my old 172 though.

Or you could try an Abarth ;-)
  • Options
    No Mike. Just no.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Had the clio mate won't touch a french car again.. electrics are usually terrible and their made like tin foil.
  • Options
    Ross said:

No Mike. Just no.

Hark at the Clio fan boy. Had mine 6 months now and loving it. So easy to live with and constantly get people asking what it is! You lot are obsessed about having an extra 20hp, when it makes no difference, the Clio is heavier anyway!
  • Options
    Great motors. What are you looking at spending? I have one up for sale
  • Options
    EGAddick said:

Ross said:

No Mike. Just no.

Hark at the Clio fan boy. Had mine 6 months now and loving it. So easy to live with and constantly get people asking what it is! You lot are obsessed about having an extra 20hp, when it makes no difference, the Clio is heavier anyway!
    I regret getting rid of my 172 now. But I'm saving money. 1 series next for me.
  • Options
    Haven't had a Fiesta ST, but have driven Fiesta Mark 5's and 6's and they're terrific fun to drive, even doing something like 30 mph.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfred4 said:

Great motors. What are you looking at spending? I have one up for sale

around £3500 not to much i want to mod the one i get so it feels more like my car.

• Options
    Still a ford though I'm afraid!
    That said used to love my fords back in the 80s n 90s then u had the real ford rs.now all about the looks rather than performance.
  • Options
    csr_cafc said:

If you can get the later model (i think 09 is the latest they did) as they came with a better radio and a refreshed look.

l

I have a 2006 fiesta St which has now done 61000 miles with no major problems apart from a rear wheel bearing rumble ( £120 to fix) you will get approx 25000 miles from rear tyres but 15000 from fronts is about normal. Motorway driving can see 40mpg & mixed driving about 36mpg . Parking is an embarrasment due to the poor steering lock caused by the 17 inch alloys ( Focus St has the same problem ) . If you want to mod it ebay is full of ads for miltec exausts etc so no problem there. For your budget you might get a 55 reg pre facelift or an early 55 or 06 facelift, the final runout cars ( 08 onwards ) may have a better stereo system but they removed the 6 cd feature. Rust does not seem to be a problem and an annual service at the local Ford garage is around £150. Build quality is far superior to the Fiesta RS 1800 I traded in and it is slightly faster. One final point-try to buy from a mature owner ! .

is
  • Options

csr_cafc said:

l

I have a 2006 fiesta St which has now done 61000 miles with no major problems apart from a rear wheel bearing rumble ( £120 to fix) you will get approx 25000 miles from rear tyres but 15000 from fronts is about normal. Motorway driving can see 40mpg & mixed driving about 36mpg . Parking is an embarrasment due to the poor steering lock caused by the 17 inch alloys ( Focus St has the same problem ) . If you want to mod it ebay is full of ads for miltec exausts etc so no problem there. For your budget you might get a 55 reg pre facelift or an early 55 or 06 facelift, the final runout cars ( 08 onwards ) may have a better stereo system but they removed the 6 cd feature. Rust does not seem to be a problem and an annual service at the local Ford garage is around £150. Build quality is far superior to the Fiesta RS 1800 I traded in and it is slightly faster. One final point-try to buy from a mature owner ! .

is
    Cheers mate v.helpful
  • Options
    i bought mine 6 months ago all black no stripes 30,000 miles 57 plate £4200 best car Ive had with no problems. average 30 mpg around town.
  • Options
    Bet ur after one in the green?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I really want a Focus ST 09 but just out of my budget. Excluding the insurance...

Got a Fiesta Style 07 at the moment, looks so boring..
  • Options

Bet ur after one in the green?

No white or blue but il take any colour lol
  • Options
    MattD said:

I really want a Focus ST 09 but just out of my budget. Excluding the insurance...

You'll need shares in BP if you want a Focus ST. You'll never see above 30mpg even on a motorway run.
  • Options
    Ross said:

MattD said:

You'll need shares in BP if you want a Focus ST. You'll never see above 30mpg even on a motorway run.
    Already use an absolute ridiculous ton of petrol in my little fiesta.
    Canvey to Bluewater and the return is 100 miles according to my fuel display.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Try running my Lexus! Just put £50 in to go Hastings at weekend now gone!
    Misses has just got brand new BMW M sport realy envious of the mpg but not the car! Also to much M badging for my liking.
  • Options
    I've had to sell my 172 as 300 miles a week was killing me in fuel. £60 a week is not fun. Now running around in a 307 diesel. £70 every 2 weeks is much better, plus cheaper tax and insurance, and a nice quiet drive now (although not as fun).
  • Options

Try running my Lexus! Just put £50 in to go Hastings at weekend now gone!
    Misses has just got brand new BMW M sport realy envious of the mpg but not the car! Also to much M badging for my liking.

Aah, you poor thing.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    yep. had one of the last one's built silver full leather black not the pimps 'two tone colour'
    does 39 mpg on a run. 25,000 miles, faultless except wheels need a refurb. ( most do that are used daily) £200
    The tyres are a pain the pirelli zeros are just that, not guaranteed, mind you they are such a soft compound.
    Had to get the tracking done 3 times now, because of tyre wear.....
    Too old to put up with the hard ride as well.
    Sold it to one of my son late last year, he wants £6,500 for it. 2009 reg, but will do the wheels. full refurb.
    Got myself an m sport 1 series last year
    see http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304086163441£7,300 and no full leather.
    Be careful the cheaper ones have been 'ragged' so you will have an expensive rebuild, and most have been involved in bad accidents.
    You will get pulled all day long in a focus st if you look youngish...... Surprissed if you can get cover if under 25.
  • Options

yep. had one of the last one's built silver full leather black not the pimps 'two tone colour'm
    does 39 mpg on a run. 25,000 miles, faultless except wheels need a refurb. ( most do that are used daily) £200
    The tyres are a pain the pirelli zeros are just that, not guaranteed, mind you they are such a soft compound.
    Had to get the tracking done 3 times now, because of tyre wear.....
    Too old to put up with the hard ride as well.
    Sold it to one of my son late last year, he wants £6,500 for it. 2009 reg, but will do the wheels. full refurb.
    Got myself an m sport 1 series last year
    see http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304086163441£7,300 and no full leather.
    Be careful the cheaper ones have been 'ragged' so you will have an expensive rebuild, and most have been involved in bad accidents..
    You will get pulled all day long in a focus st if you look youngish...... Surprissed if you can get cover if under 25.

Like Ken I had the front tracking problem ( wear on inside edges ) this is a common problem . The Ford technical helpline suggested increasing the toe in which I had done at the last front tyre renewal ( reset to + 2.2 mm ) this looks to have cured the problem. I have never had a problem with the handling with P Zeros and the last pair cost £98 each from Universal in Colchester ( I think they have branches in Kent ) . I would not use budget tyres on any ST .after 7 years of ownership it is still on the original exaust & battery the rear pads are original , the fronts were renewed at 50000mls . 55 & 06 reg cars had an alarm problem ( Gem module ) although this was not an official recall most cars should have been sorted out under the 3 year warranty. I would certainly recomend a carefully chosen used fiesta ST to anyone but please not with the bonnet & roof stripes ! . For some reason the silver ones seem cheaper to buy- performance blue & black I think are the best colours.
  • Options
    Definitely understand what you are saying about the cheaper ones being ragged seen 4 and they all have had a hard life. It's a little exspensive at 18 insurance but only 250 more than my golf so not to bad, I am thinking of saving that extra few quid to get out the boy racers bracket of cars that I have been seeing.
  • Options
    Go for another golf
    R32

That said I'm now looking for a Volvo estate!
    I'm getting old.
  • Options

Definitely understand what you are saying about the cheaper ones being ragged seen 4 and they all have had a hard life. It's a little exspensive at 18 insurance but only 250 more than my golf so not to bad, I am thinking of saving that extra few quid to get out the boy racers bracket of cars that I have been seeing.

Go with Sky Insurance. Very good for performance cars. Join the ST owners club forum too, as they often give discounts for club memberships.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Adrian flux
    Good for sports or molested cars!