Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Footscray Meadows/Footscray Place

Went up there with the family earlier (bloody windy!) and we walked around the site of the old Foots Cray Place. Didn't really know a lot about it before but have looked it up on t'internet since and all I can say is "wow" - what a shame they knocked it down.

All sounds a bit fishy to me - mystery fire and all that - but as we have got a few local history buffs on here I wondered if anyone knew any more about it all, or had any memories/stories.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Did you know that they restored a building down there and it's up for sale for nearly £4m!

• Options

Did you know that they restored a building down there and it's up for sale for nearly £4m!

Yeah, it's the former stable block. Looks nice - though I'm sure certain people on here will still run it down!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26984430.html/svr/1707;jsessionid=C85E90D42D0FD2A54D157879B3B944C9
  • Options
    That is my dream house wow thats a great home for someone

If i had that sort of dough that is the exact style of gaff i would want
  • Options
    Shame I didn't win Euromillions last night, I certainly wouldn't turn it down.
  • Options
    The first photo 1 of 25 shows what we children called Mini Wembly which in fact was part of the front lawn to the gardens,Played football on this lawn when in my teens.Also went to gardening lessons in the old walled garden of the palace which was used by the school at the time c1970.five Arches the estate to this palace was one off are many haunts as children happy days indeed.
  • Options
    I was bought up backing on to the meadows.Magic place knew every inch of it! Lewis I take it you are an ex Bexley Lane school boy?
  • Options
    Pics 12 and 13 were where the lay by is/was half way up the school field on Bexley Lane.
  • Options
    I would give up one of nla's famous testicles for that cinema room !

Been up for sale a little while, remember drooling over it on rightmove a couple of years.

Never ever been Footscray Meadows btw
  • Options
    richie8 said:

I was bought up backing on to the meadows.Magic place knew every inch of it! Lewis I take it you are an ex Bexley Lane school boy?

For my sins that is correct,gardening lessons taken by Mr Moss i kid you not .The walled garden was something else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was born in Ellenborough Road, Footscray Meadows were my playground until I was dragged to Plumstead aged 10, loved the meadows.
  • Options
    Lived at mallard walk but only until i was 5 so no awareness of the surrounding area. I'd move back for that property.
  • Options
    I am another ex Parklands pupil and remember the aptly named Mr Moss.

I made the reverse journey to PeteF at aged 10 and moved into Pollard Walk when it was first built in 1976.My original misgiving about living there was that I didn't have a garden was soon dispelled as the Meadows became my garden.In the summers of my youth I spent endless nights over there exploring or playing Cricket and Football with my mates.

In terms of Footscray Place by the time I knew it was a ruin, I understand that it was demolished following a fire shortly after the Second World War.

Over the River just down from the Five Arch Bridge there is the care home Loring Hall.That building also has an interesting history because former Prime MinisterLord Castlereigh lived and committed suicide there.

I would strongly recommend it for a visit for anyone who has never been there,it is one of greater London's hidden treasures.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I am another ex Parklands pupil and remember the aptly named Mr Moss.

I made the reverse journey to PeteF at aged 10 and moved into Pollard Walk when it was first built in 1976.My original misgiving about living there was that I didn't have a garden was soon dispelled as the Meadows became my garden.In the summers of my youth I spent endless nights over there exploring or playing Cricket and Football with my mates.

In terms of Footscray Place by the time I knew it was a ruin, I understand that it was demolished following a fire shortly after the Second World War.

Over the River just down from the Five Arch Bridge there is the care home Loring Hall.That building also has an interesting history because former Prime MinisterLord Castlereigh lived and committed suicide there.

I would strongly recommend it for a visit for anyone who has never been there,it is one of greater London's hidden treasures.

That's a good tip about Loring Hall - thanks. Recently on foot I followed the River Cray from Orpington to Foots Cray: was pleasantly surprised by the clarity of the water. Also impressed by the old street next to St Mary Cray church. So I will carry on downriver from Foots Cray to Dartford - and look at Loring Hall on the way.

• Options
    As my missus has pointed out, only downside is that there are no "facilities" there.

Mind you, I did point out that there were plenty of bushes!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Thanks, Len. I see there are connections between Foots Cray Place and Scadbury Manor, in Chislehurst - another pile long gone (the moat survives), with an interesting history.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

This is Acworth's father who is a very well respected local historian.

• Options
    Interesting stuff chaps.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Looks like the old stable block is now a holiday home. And it also looks like it's been "blinged up" a bit since the previous pictures too.

https://www.cottages.com/cottages/foots-cray-uk35209?nights=7&adult=2&start=01-07-2022

Not sure I'd pay £15k a week to stay in Sidcup though .....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

AFKA feels like he does with his mortgage. :smile:

• Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if that was AFKA's pad actually, knowing how much he makes off this place.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    it’s been on rightmove on and off for nearly 10 years. Someone I reckon lost a lot of dough on it as don’t think it’s ever sold. Think the last time I saw it priced was £3m.
    Off_it said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if that was AFKA's pad actually, knowing how much he makes off this place.
    I’ve just layered it in the ultimate luxury extravagance, a budget caravan break in South Wales with it due to piss down :-) 
  • Options
    Just booked a week in , in November bargain at £9000
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Looks like the old stable block is now a holiday home. And it also looks like it's been "blinged up" a bit since the previous pictures too.

https://www.cottages.com/cottages/foots-cray-uk35209?nights=7&adult=2&start=01-07-2022

I’m not sure I’d stay in Sidcup if you paid me £15k