Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Gower: "Disillusioned at Swansea"

edited June 2013 in General Charlton
I hadn't seen this posted yet, and couldn't see the Gower thread anymore. I just saw this on the BBC site - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22954544

Two points that stood out:
Mark Gower says his move to Charlton has helped him rediscover his appetite for the game after he had become "disillusioned" at Swansea.

**snip**

"I train because I want to play at the weekend. I don't just train to pick up my money. I want to play football."
I know that this is what every fan wants to hear, and that "Mark Gower says his move to Charlton has caused problems with his heavy routine of golf and Saturday morning lay ins", or "I train because I want to pick up my money, I don't just train to play at the weekend. I want to spend my green." would never be said.

That said, he comes across as someone eager for a bit of football - with the right attitude and all the signs of a proper Powell player. I thought this interview was a pretty good insight in to what we can expect *off the pitch* and the kind of mindset he's bringing to the team. Proper pleased with this signing to be quite honest..!

Comments

• He aint getting paid as much here as he couldve at another championship club that says a lot also about choosing us for the right
    Reasons
  • I can't see him being in our best starting line up so he might have to get used to warming the bench with us as well.
  • @Bedsaddick - I was pondering what our midfield would look like; obviously it's too soon to know whos in and out. But combined with Hughes I reckon he'll probably see a fair a bit actually.

He aint getting paid as much here as he couldve at another championship club that says a lot also about choosing us for the right
    Reasons

Cheers for that NLA, I've enjoyed reading your posts throughout all this. He sounds like a true professional and someone whos going to bring a really great attitude with him.
  • LuckyReds said:

@Bedsaddick - I was pondering what our midfield would look like; obviously it's too soon to know whos in and out. But combined with Hughes I reckon he'll probably see a fair a bit actually.

He aint getting paid as much here as he couldve at another championship club that says a lot also about choosing us for the right
    Reasons

Cheers for that NLA, I've enjoyed reading your posts throughout all this. He sounds like a true professional and someone whos going to bring a really great attitude with him.
    Pritchard & Jackson will be more likely to start ahead of Gower .
  • LuckyReds said:

@Bedsaddick - I was pondering what our midfield would look like; obviously it's too soon to know whos in and out. But combined with Hughes I reckon he'll probably see a fair a bit actually.

Reasons

Pritchard & Jackson will be more likely to start ahead of Gower .
    That presumes someone steps up to take RM away from Pritch. Remains to be seen if Green will still be around, and Wilson has fallen out of favour seemingly.

The way I see it is that out of a 4 (or possibly 5) man midfield, as it stands we only really have 2 or 3 definite starters (Harriott, Jackson, Pritchard) - which leaves the fourth position for Hughes/Gower; what with age and skillset they could probably be rotated quite nicely.

Jackson is definitely going to be a starter, but that still leaves the second central position.
  • Gower and Jackson in the middle
  • edited June 2013
    I think Gower will be a decent playmaker for us but will play deeper. It could be more of a rotation policy with our centre-mids. Depending on the forwards we bring In we could look at playing one up front.

If we played a 4-2-3-1 which allows our wide midfielders to become wingers/inside forwards and it also allows Wiggins & Solly to get forward more and support/create with two holding midfielders to cover.
    1st XI
    Kermorgant
    Harriott Jackson Pritchard
    Gower Hughes
    Wiggins Dervite Morrison Solly
    Hamer

2nd XI
    Smith?
    Cook Stephens Green
    Hollands Rouamba?
    Evina? Cort Feely? Wilson
    Button
  • Who is Cook?
  • Jordan Cook, we picked up on a free from Carlisle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hasn't Rouamba been released?
  • Sorry, forgot about him!!
  • Looks to me like Gower and Hughes will be rotated as and when needed. Can easily see one starting and one on the bench.
  • Whilst Pritchard is no winger - he probably crosses as well ans anyone and I think Powell likes the support he provides the central midfielders when he plays RM. I think we will see him play in that position a fair bit next season.
  • Whilst Pritchard is no winger - he probably crosses as well ans anyone and I think Powell likes the support he provides the central midfielders when he plays RM. I think we will see him play in that position a fair bit next season.

Agree completely. He may be no winger, but I sure as hell rate him in that position - he's effectively pushed 3 "proper" wingers out to play there. (Waggy, Green and Wilson) His sheer effort is great, and I think he made some brilliant progress and stepped up really well this year.

If we did find a "true" winger, I think we'd really miss him in the midfield if he didn't make the starting 11.
  • dickplumb said:

Jordan Cook, we picked up on a free from Carlisle.

Think it was Sunderland.
  • And Gower would walk straight into our best XI
  • You have a proper winger in green just need to play him and not have to have him defending all the time , best crosser of the ball in the championship.
  • dickplumb said:

Think it was Sunderland.

dickplumb said:

Think it was Sunderland.
    Yes you are right, he was on loan at Carlisle.