Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours

2»

Comments

• Options
    Back in Black?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Every "100 Top Album lists" will be different because of what makes an album "Great".
    Read somewhere the other day that "The Velvet Underground & Nico" originally sold under 10,000 copies, "but was important because everyone who bought (it) went on to form bands". Similar to "The Clash" (Both were great albums imo).
  • Options
    Fleetwood Mac Rumours on Vintage TV 9 to-night
  • Options
    Not a fan, but for those that are...Sky Arts 1 tonight at 9pm in their Classic Albums slot. Followed by Live in Boston at 10.20pm and 11.20pm (2 parts).
  • Options

This is Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.

1. The Beatles - Makes sense. Some of the most influential albums of all time are the works of these lads. What else can you say?
    2. Bob Dylan - I could argue with this one. He's a legend, but number 2?
    3. Elvis Presley - Very successful, the king of rock n roll of course, but he was very controlled by his manager.
    4. Rolling Stones - Often called 'Anti-Beatles', definitely top 5
    5. Chuck Berry - Probably invented Rock n Roll. Deserves to be here.
    6. Jimi Hendrix - First guitar god, I believe. Revolutionary player
    7. James Brown - Godfather of soul, is it? Great showman
    8. Little Richard - American Rock & Roll/R & B singer and pianist
    9. Aretha Franklin - I think she was the first woman to be inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame. I'll look that up later.
    10. Ray Charles - American R&B singer and pianist
    11. Bob Marley - Jamaican reggae singer
    12. The Beach Boys - Some of the catchiest songs I ever heard.
    13. Buddy Holly - Tragic death. One of the first to use a solid-body electric guitar.
    14. Led Zeppelin - Possibly the 'fathers of heavy metal', but some might argue that Black Sabbath is.
    15. Stevie Wonder - American soul singer. Plays many different instruments, and has won 22 grammy awards
    16. Sam Cooke - A founder of soul music.
    17. Muddy Waters - 'Father of Chicago Blues'
    18. Marvin Gaye - 'The Prince of Motown'.
    19. The Velvet Underground - American rock band, formed in 1965. Regarded as highly influencial in the rise to punk-rock, and alt-rock.
    20. Bo Diddley - Legendary R&B singer. Known as the 'Originator'
    21. Otis Redding - You might not know him, but you've probably heard 'Sittin' on the dock of a bay'.
    22. U2 - The Joshua Tree was one of my favourite albums
    23. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA was overplayed. Good to see him make music again.
    24. Jerry Lee Lewis - 'Great Balls of Fire' was his greatest hit, and one of my favs
    25. Fats Domino - Rock & Roll pianist

http://www.listology.com/blindsider/list/rolling-stone-100-greatest-artists-all-time-immortals

Not many of these tally with sales.

Haha, yeh, where are the Spice Girls?
    Yep, perhaps 'inspiration' is what makes these bands. Spice girls?

• Options
    1 Steve McQueen - Prefab Sprout
    2 Swoon - Prefab Sprout
    3 From Langley Park to Memphis - Prefab Sprout

I do like some other music, though not much mentioned in this thread (an honourable exception is made for The Clash)
  • Options

razil said:

The Doors, Love over Gold, Help, Kinks Village green preservation society

Was listening to The Doors last night: still valid and full of life - Riders on the Storm, Strange Days, Touch Me, Roadhouse Blues, Peace Frog. Great stuff.

Viewfinder- if you like the Doors checkout Love the band that introduced the Doors to Electra records their 1967 album Forever Changes is on almost every music industry classic albums list-you wont be disapointed
  • Options

razil said:

The Doors, Love over Gold, Help, Kinks Village green preservation society

Was listening to The Doors last night: still valid and full of life - Riders on the Storm, Strange Days, Touch Me, Roadhouse Blues, Peace Frog. Great stuff.

Viewfinder- if you like the Doors checkout Love the band that introduced the Doors to Electra records their 1967 album Forever Changes is on almost every music industry classic albums list-you wont be disapointed
    Will certainly do that, fossdeneboy - thanks for the tip. While on the subject of 1960s California bands - d'you remember It's A Beautiful Day? With at least a couple of original members, they are playing the unlikely venue of the Beaverwood Club in Chislehurst later this summer.