Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic FC - A Pictorial History

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dave kindly signed a copy of his excellent book for the trust which we will be giving as a prize in the forthcoming weeks as I mentioned on Charlton Live on Sunday.
  • Options

No, that's definitely how you spell Ben Hayes : - )

I just checked and the error is mine not the programmes. My apologies to them and more so to Dave. Hopefully, the good review will get me off the hook with him.

Strictly speaking, you have misused the word 'hopefully'. It is an adverb; the way you have used it implies that the good review is full of hope. "I hope the good review..." would be correct.

That's another fifty lines.

• Options

I just checked and the error is mine not the programmes. My apologies to them and more so to Dave. Hopefully, the good review will get me off the hook with him.

Strictly speaking, you have misused the word 'hopefully'. It is an adverb; the way you have used it implies that the good review is full of hope. "I hope the good review..." would be correct.

That's another fifty lines.

Again old usage, hopefully now used as an alternative for "I hope". Move with the times daddy-O : -)
  • Options
    You lot are scary - I'm outta (or should that be 'out of') here.....
  • Options

Where's the apostrophe in 'programmes'? Or are you going to tell me that apostrophes are "old usage" and I should "move with the times"?

Detention.

• Options
    I'll give you that one but that was a typo

And as Queens Park Rangers show apostrophes are old hat as well.
  • Options

And when experience matters, Henry comes on the outside to regain the freeloading lead from that young pretender Razil........

:-)

oi, he writes for castrust.org and I was interviewed.. I am however more than willing to cough up

:P
  • Options

I'll give you that one but that was a typo

And as Queens Park Rangers show apostrophes are old hat as well.

Not at Queen's Park in Scotland. If you don't believe me, ask Weegie and she'll give you a Glasgow kiss.

• Options
    I've already had a kiss (chaste of course) from Weegie : - )
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Have seen a copy today - a very good read with some nice photographs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Have seen a copy today - a very good read with some nice photographs.

... though not without some basic errors that should have been corrected at proofreading stage. Our manager Ken Graggs, anyone?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I was impressed with how different is was from his Images of Sport book. There was obviously a lot of work put in to make this happen. That said, I'd really like to see a Charlton picture book that's in a large page format with a hard cover and contains big glossy versions of all the iconic images that we have here: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/48269/iconic-images-charlton/p1 Sadly, I suspect that such a project might not be feasible for the size of the potential audience.

The other thing that we've not got, but that would be brilliant is a proper documentary history. There's little snippets of what this could be in DR's latest, but this isn't it. I mean 200+ pages of old programme articles, press cuttings, and official documents. I know that the club was particularly sloppy about retaining stuff, particularly around the time of the exile but there must be fans and collectors out there with lots of interesting/original documents.

Anyway, enough of my whining about the books we've not got. We have got the Pictorial History and it is a very good read. I'd recommend it to any Charlton fan.
  • Options
    I agree, Stig - the more we can read and see in print, the better. We should be grateful for having had such a meticulous statistician in Colin Cameron; I imagine it was mostly his work that makes up the detailed records at the back of 'The Essential History of Charlton Athletic' by Paul Clayton, for instance.

Apart from your excellent ideas, I'd love to see a book of fans' reminiscences of watching us at home and away. It would need skilful editing to avoid repetition and to maintain a high level of interest: a sort of oral history converted to print, conveying atmosphere and personal observations, something separate from a documentary history. Lifers like GlassHalfFull have got fantastic memories of exactly what it was like to be there on the terraces in the 1960s, and it would be a real pity if these went unrecorded in print. Other people have posted many captivating reminiscences on several threads on this site, and I'm sure a book of these and more - copiously illustrated - would be a real winner.
  • Options
    Is there a list anywhere on here about all the CAFC related books (available or not) published over the years ?
    Henry ?
  • Options
    @Viewfinder - That's an excellent idea. To have a really good oral history. There's been some very good interviews in various fanzines, the interesting (but disappointingly short) collection from the Reminiscence class, and some marvellous stories people have told on here. If someone could collect these sorts of stories and do a Studs Terkel on them, that would be fantastic.

Is there a list anywhere on here about all the CAFC related books (available or not) published over the years ?
    Henry ?

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/46628/the-best-charlton-book
  • Options
    Stig said:

@Viewfinder - That's an excellent idea. To have a really good oral history. There's been some very good interviews in various fanzines, the interesting (but disappointingly short) collection from the Reminiscence class, and some marvellous stories people have told on here. If someone could collect these sorts of stories and do a Studs Terkel on them, that would be fantastic.

Henry ?

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/46628/the-best-charlton-book
    Yes, the great Studs Terkel. He told the story about one of his books of oral histories of Chicagoans' working lives titled simply 'Working'. The publisher's publicity listed the book as 'Working Studs' by an author named 'Terkel' - and a prim librarian in the American mid-west received this and exclaimed: "Oh no, no, no! We don't stock that kind of smut here!"

• Options
    :-)
  • Options
    Thanks Stig.