Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holiday Tips

2»

Comments

• Options
    I bloody loved Mexico. Only prob was we were out there during hurricane dean.

We were in lock down and had to be in our rooms by 10pm with matresses up againts the window.

Check out sani beach hotel in halkidiki if you want a more local holiday. Quality place.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Go to Mexico, Cancun or Riveira Maya they are both amazing

Another endorsement for Mexico from me. Did Cancun about 10 years ago and it is a very lively resort and would definitely tick all the boxes for the activities you have in mind. Stayed at the Gran Caribe. Went to the Riveira Maya last year (stayed at the Iberostar Tucan) and that was very chilled and relaxed compared to Cancun. Guaranteed great beaches and watersport anywhere in Mexico really.

Another option is Cuba. Stayed at the Paradisus Rio de Oro hotel in Guardalavaca and that place was stunning with fantastic beaches. A trip up to Havana for a few nights is a must also.

As others have said already if you go to the Caribbean at that time of the year there is the risk of hurricanes, especially Cuba which tends to get battered by most that pass through that area.

• Options
    You might well get hit by hurricanes in Yucatan in August. I didn't really like hotel strip area of Cancun, but nearby Isla Mujeres was less yanks abroad, really nice and relaxing.
  • Options

Carter said:

Go to Mexico, Cancun or Riveira Maya they are both amazing

Another endorsement for Mexico from me. Did Cancun about 10 years ago and it is a very lively resort and would definitely tick all the boxes for the activities you have in mind. Stayed at the Gran Caribe. Went to the Riveira Maya last year (stayed at the Iberostar Tucan) and that was very chilled and relaxed compared to Cancun. Guaranteed great beaches and watersport anywhere in Mexico really.

Another option is Cuba. Stayed at the Paradisus Rio de Oro hotel in Guardalavaca and that place was stunning with fantastic beaches. A trip up to Havana for a few nights is a must also.

As others have said already if you go to the Caribbean at that time of the year there is the risk of hurricanes, especially Cuba which tends to get battered by most that pass through that area.

I stayed at the tucan too. The monkeys in the hotel are a crack up. Plenty too do there too in the hotel and outside.
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you for your advice. I have had a look at all of the recommendations and all are excellent; be it Mexico, Cuba, Maldives, turkey, Israel etc! Tough decision and a bit of pot luck weather wise I guess.

Thanks guys
  • Options
    Wouldn't recommend the Maldives personally. No doubt your missus would love it but I found it pretty claustrophobic being stuck on an island the size of 2 football pitches.

Egypt is much better value, you could stay in a top of the range hotel for the same money as an average one in the Maldives. Caribbean's great but, as others have said, it's a bit risky weather-wise in August.
  • Options

You might well get hit by hurricanes in Yucatan in August. I didn't really like hotel strip area of Cancun, but nearby Isla Mujeres was less yanks abroad, really nice and relaxing.

Love that hotel corridor from Cancun to Tulum. Some fantastic hotels and a lot to do and explore. August will be as hot as hell though and a Yucatan will invariably get touched by a tropical storm or hurricane.

• Options

The last few years I have been to different AI 5* hotels in Lara Beach Resort in Antalya Turkey and couldn't fault any of them. In May I went to Boa Vista in the Cape Verde Islands and if you want sun and relaxation this place is good.

Was thinking of Cape Verde myself. Always been put off as looks a bit dead. Is there a bit more there these days in terms of restaurants, bars etc?
  • Options
    Boom said:

The last few years I have been to different AI 5* hotels in Lara Beach Resort in Antalya Turkey and couldn't fault any of them. In May I went to Boa Vista in the Cape Verde Islands and if you want sun and relaxation this place is good.

Was thinking of Cape Verde myself. Always been put off as looks a bit dead. Is there a bit more there these days in terms of restaurants, bars etc?
    Spent 3 weeks backpacking around the Cape Verde islands....went to 5/6 islands, all very different, absolutely loved it Santo Antao is something else, but Sal may suit your needs more. When we went there were no direct flights ( this has changed since), so we flew via Amsterdam and Paris, then travelled around the islands using internal flights except between Sao Vicente and Santo Antao where you can catch the ferry.
  • Options
    Google 'La Palagina' in Tuscany.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to Mexico (playa del carmen, Riu Tequila) a few years ago and it was awesome, highly recommend
  • Options
    Boom said:

Off to Boa Vista in September for a week. Previously been to Sal. Still very under developed so not much in the way of restaurants and bars outside of the hotel complexes but that is part of the beauty of these islands. Untouched by main stream tourism.

Fantastic beaches and warm seas (if you can get in for a swim when the red flags aren't flying due to dangerous waves/currents).

Wouldn't go for more than a week at a time though as would get boring due to lack of sights.
  • Options
    Can recommend Barbados. Been twice and loved it both times. It's very safe and almost all the locals are friendly and polite, and they drive on the left. It's a bit like England in the 1950's but with super hot weather. Even in the rainy season it doesn't rain for long.

The West coast is pretty expensive but if you go to the South West part - anywhere between Bridgetown and Oistins then it's fairly affordable. Coconut Court in Hastings is an excellent hotel.