Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Firmani

Comments

• Options
    Take a look at this (fingers crossed I've managed to attach it correctly)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Most shocking aspect of that is Crawford looking to sign on "the dole". Can't see many ex England centre forwards having to consider that these days.
  • Options
    I saw and often met Eddie when I was collecting autographs, way back in his early days at the Valley. Years later I designed an extension to a religious building in Penge. When The Good Shepherd Mission was ready to move into its new premises. I suggested a formal opening, thinking to attract the press and local radio. Through helpful contacts at Charlton, I traced Eddie Firmani, currently in the UK; later of course Eddie became the most successful manager in the North American Soccer League but, at the time, he was out of a job, having been fired from managing Charlton a few months before. With some trepidation I phoned him and explained what I wanted. He said he would be delighted to ‘cut the ribbon’ of a new religious building and I assured him that I would not be the only person who appreciated and had watched his climb to fame from South African soccer to Charlton, to Sampdoria, to Internationale, (Inter Milan) and then to Genoa, obtaining Italian international caps along the way : his grandfather was Italian. For such a soccer star to turn up in Penge to open a church hall was an enormous coup and the press did not disappoint giving the event considerable coverage.
    For me, to meet Eddie again after more than 20 years and to buy him a drink as we later sat and chatted for a couple of hours in the Railway Tavern next to Penge East station was a privilege and an honour. Eddie was one of the good guys of football. Later on he had great success as a manager throughout North America and the Middle East and was even held as a valuable hostage during the first Gulf war.
  • Options

I thought it might provide more info for youngsters like mattaddick.

Youngster??
  • Options
    ears Team Apps† (Gls)†
    1950–1955 Charlton Athletic 112 (51)
    1955–1958 Sampdoria 63 (52)
    1958–1961 Internazionale 82 (48)
    1961–1963 Genoa 62 (25)
    1963–1965 Charlton Athletic 55 (32)
    1965–1967 Southend United 55 (24)
    1967–1968 Charlton Athletic 10 (6)
    1975 Tampa Bay Rowdies 1 (0)

Check out the goals per game ratio (taken from Wiki)

Can only echo what others have said, Eddie exuded class and charisma.
    Saw him on his return from Italy and he became my first Charlton hero, to the extent that, back in the school playground me and my mates all copied his slightly comical way of holding his arms when running.
    Fantastic memories from glasshalffull, sadly my memory for detail is at best patchy these days.
    I do recall one occasion standing on the south terrace and watching Eddie round the keeper and slot home - no idea which game!
    One thing that has always been ingrained in me was that 64/65 team that finished 4th - Rose, Hewie, Kinsey; Bailey, Haydock, Tocknell; Kenning, Matthews, Firmani, Edwards, Glover.
    A great season with Eddie in his pomp
  • Options

ears Team Apps† (Gls)†
    1950–1955 Charlton Athletic 112 (51)
    1955–1958 Sampdoria 63 (52)
    1958–1961 Internazionale 82 (48)
    1961–1963 Genoa 62 (25)
    1963–1965 Charlton Athletic 55 (32)
    1965–1967 Southend United 55 (24)
    1967–1968 Charlton Athletic 10 (6)
    1975 Tampa Bay Rowdies 1 (0)

Check out the goals per game ratio (taken from Wiki)

Can only echo what others have said, Eddie exuded class and charisma.
    Saw him on his return from Italy and he became my first Charlton hero, to the extent that, back in the school playground me and my mates all copied his slightly comical way of holding his arms when running.
    Fantastic memories from glasshalffull, sadly my memory for detail is at best patchy these days.
    I do recall one occasion standing on the south terrace and watching Eddie round the keeper and slot home - no idea which game!
    One thing that has always been ingrained in me was that 64/65 team that finished 4th - Rose, Hewie, Kinsey; Bailey, Haydock, Tocknell; Kenning, Matthews, Firmani, Edwards, Glover.
    A great season with Eddie in his pomp

All my heroes typical Charlton Bailey, Haydock, Kenning, Edwards & Lenny Glover all were sold soon after and all did well away from the valley.Has anybody else realised that John Hewie made his Charlton debut before Eddie but he was still a team regular when eddie returned.

• Options
    Eddie is a very active poster on the not606 forum. Entertaining insights always worth a read.
  • Options
    Eddie is 2nd from right front row -glasshalffull can you name the rest.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    When Eddie Firmani managed Charlton,he was interested in signing Ray Crawford.As a young lad I thought why not call the club and see if they had signed him.Newspaper coverage of Charlton then,as now,was rare to say the least,even though Crawford was a big name pIayer.So,I rang late afternoon and a gentleman confirmed that HE had signed him.My face must have been a picture.
    He was the first Charlton player whose name I looked out for every week and I soon realised his style and ability was on a different level to those around him,not that they weren't good too.He played alongside Roy Matthews,Brian Kinsey,John Hewie and many other great names from that era.My first ever Charlton game was a division one fixture at home to Bury which we won 3-0.It was his first home game for us after returning to Charlton for a second spell after playing in Italy.
    Such a shame that as a manager he did great things for the club,only to fall out with chairman Gliksten,but then which manager didn't eventually.
    Thank you Eddie for some great,great memories and for all you did for our club.My first Charlton hero.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw Eddie Firmani's 1st game back for us at Main Road against Manchester City, we won 1-3. The second of his goals was class. (I missed the first goal) If my memory is correct, he picked the ball up near the halfway, strode forward then as the keeper came out went round him as though the keeper wasn't there and calmly stroked the ball in to the net. I had never seen that kind of close control and composure before.

The next day Firmani was headlines in the Manchester papers.

I would think had the club not sold him to the Italians we would not have got relegated from the old 1st Div in the late 50's. Unfortunately I didn't see the young Eddie Firmani in his first spell for us.

I have not read all the posts so this might have been mentioned. He also played for Italy by way of a parent.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    A bit about Eddie and Len Glover plus a few other non-Charlton players those "of an age" will remember from a Tampa Bay Rowdies site:

http://www.tampapix.com/rowdies2.htm
  • Options
    Something always special about the first team you watch as a supporter , and Eddie was the man at CAFC
    I remember seeing a photo of him returning to the Valley on a train at Charlton station,in the 65/66 season being in the sports page.
    I have never seen it again. Glover, Matthews, Hewie, Remember being on the enormous banking one night and we were playing a foreign side, the place was packed, the ground was rocking!
    Think I would have been at Sherrington at the time, never any aggro people seem to like young lads going in those days.
    Some of those players were simply brillant, and Eddie was simply a hero to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I remember an a great team performance against Cardiff at The Valley in a much anticipated game; Cardiff fielding John Charles who like Eddie had recently returned to British Football. Closely marked by Charles, Eddie played a less attacking role than usual but his distribution was excellent giving us the edge. I don't remember the score just the joy of watching a quality performance.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

A bit about Eddie and Len Glover plus a few other non-Charlton players those "of an age" will remember from a Tampa Bay Rowdies site:

Nice one Len! Stuart Scullion, wow, that is nostalgia.

• Options

Something always special about the first team you watch as a supporter , and Eddie was thne man at CAFC
    I remember seeing a photo of him returning to the Valley on a train at Charlton station,in the 65/66 season being in the sports page.
    I have never seen it again. Glover, Matthews, Hewie, Remember being on the enormous banking one night and we were playing a foreign side, the place was packed, the ground was rocking!
    Think I would have been at Sherrington at the time, never any aggro people seem to like young lads going in those days.

Ken was that foreign team la-gantoise ( now Ghent ). Also wasn't it a nuisance playing football with a tennis ball in the sherrington rd playgrounds-the ball would go out the gate an disapear down the steep road outside .
  • Options

Something always special about the first team you watch as a supporter , and Eddie was the man at CAFC

Could it have been Spartak Prague?

I remember we played and beat them in the early / mid sixties and I thought that meant we were going places, not fully appreciating that friendlies were different at that age!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

I think from memory Scullion was a Charlton colt but moved before playing in the first team.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I've remembered wrong.
  • Options
    Foreign friendlies

Nov 63 at the height of Firmani-mania : Charlton 3-1 Spartak Brno before 19000. Missed the game which apparently was a belter

Oct 65 (or maybe later that season) Charlton 4-2 ARA La Gantoise. The Belgians effortlessly went 2-0 up but Charlton persevered and were rampant in the second half attacking the Covered End. A fine goal from Frank Haydock, I believe, but for me the pick was a magnificent header from Ron Saunders. The ball was fired in low from the left and around the penalty spot Saunders flung himself in the direction of the corner flag to bullet the ball at right angles into the net. I've never seen a ball headed harder. Fine opponents who inspired Charlton to produce a performance of rare quality (form certainly not seen too often in their league matches that season).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

I think from memory Scullion was a Charlton colt but moved before playing in the first team.

I'm sure that's correct Len. I used to rate him.

Does anybody remember Paul Stenson? I believe he signed for the club after playing for Blackheath Schoolboys, and if I'm right went on to become a sports journo.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

I'm sure that's correct Len. I used to rate him.

Does anybody remember Paul Stenson? I believe he signed for the club after playing for Blackheath Schoolboys, and if I'm right went on to become a sports journo.

I remember John Stenson.

My mum worked with his for a short while.

I think John played a handful of first team games for us circa 1967 or 68 before moving onto Mansfield.

I think he did go into journalism later too.

I

• Options
    That's him, John Stenson.

Dunno where Paul came from.
  • Options

That's him, John Stenson.

Dunno where Paul came from.
    I think Paul was his brother who worked for the Mirror.

• Options
    As a lot of you have seen this before, as I always post this picture on a Firmani thread (tho I notice it was gone from the previous one).

Lovely man, had all the time in the world to chat. This was at Theo's "surprise" 70th a few years back. He talked, we listened.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Scullion went to Watford and became a bit of a folk hero there .. big Cliff Holton came to us in a part exchange type deal
  • Options
    Stewart Scullion was well thought-of as a colt but left before making the first team. He found greater fame and fortune I think with Watford.

Paul Stenson was also highly regarded but he too couldn't quite make that step up. Transferred to Mansfield, possibly.
  • Options
    It was Paul's brother Tony Stenson who was the sports journo on the Daily Mirror]
  • Options
    Think people are getting John Stenson and Paul Hince muddled up.
    Hince has recently retired after working for The Manchester Evening News for many years.
    Both young wingers who had limited game time during the great 68/69 season.
  • Options

Foreign friendlies

Nov 63 at the height of Firmani-mania : Charlton 3-1 Spartak Brno before 19000. Missed the game which apparently was a belter

Oct 65 (or maybe later that season) Charlton 4-2 ARA La Gantoise. The Belgians effortlessly went 2-0 up but Charlton persevered and were rampant in the second half attacking the Covered End. A fine goal from Frank Haydock, I believe, but for me the pick was a magnificent header from Ron Saunders. The ball was fired in low from the left and around the penalty spot Saunders flung himself in the direction of the corner flag to bullet the ball at right angles into the net. I've never seen a ball headed harder. Fine opponents who inspired Charlton to produce a performance of rare quality (form certainly not seen too often in their league matches that season).

Thanks half full probably the second game. I know that Charlton played well and I am sure Matthews and Glover played......
    Re: Sherrington, yes only a small gate, but it was like a magnet, got into the trouble as I kicked it and it hit a kid in the head, I do not think Mrs Yates was very happy if I remember I gave her some lip, instead of buttoning it, but I always had a cheeky attitude, I think she said I was 'impudent' I think I actually quipped 'no left wing', Oh how I wished I had shut my mouth up, do not remember playing much after that. I remember she once put me in defence on a freezing school game at Charlton Park, I was as thin as a stick, and just froze in the bitter weather. Let's say I was not her favourite?. At secondary school I got on really well with the teachers.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Scullion doesn't appear in Colin Cameron's 'The Valiant 500', which indicates he never made a first-team appearance.