Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Question of Sport

13»

Comments

• Options
    I never really liked QoS from the start, thought They Think It's All Over was far superior. I always thought of it as 'Cardigan TV' (no offence, Henry) cosy wallpaper telly for pensioners and the undiscerning. If it was food it would be unseasoned lumpy mashed potato.
  • Options
    McGuiness is part of the problem. Having a comedian as host confused the whole positioning of the show, as a sports show. 

Were the two captains chosen REALLY the best they could find? For such a show you want captains that "general" sports fans (as opposed to hard core ones) have heard of, and ones who have charisma on TV. Monye is quite dull, but also doesn't have the "legend" status of previous QoS Captains from rugby like Dawson, Bill Beaumont and Gareth Edwards.
    Sam Quek has more of a personality, but again is a relatively minor sporting figure in terms of her achievements.
  • Options
    I think the term comedian is debatable
  • Options
    I remember when they had a special talking heads show to celebrate 50 years.
    almost every sport star featured from 40 years ago to today, almost every one of them spoke of the honour of the phone call to go on the show.

the last few years have featured a large number of guests that nobody has ever really heard of, who wants to watch that? 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I never really liked QoS from the start, thought They Think It's All Over was far superior. I always thought of it as 'Cardigan TV' (no offence, Henry) cosy wallpaper telly for pensioners and the undiscerning. If it was food it would be unseasoned lumpy mashed potato.
    I liked it as a kid, but there were only three channels then. Nowadays there's far too many interesting alternatives (like trawling through Charlton Life  for hours on end) to give QoS  a second glance. The only times I've seen any of it recently have been when channel hopping. I quickly remember that I'm only really interested in a few mainstream sports and that this programme is not for me.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    IdleHans said:
    Didn't the charmless McGuiness also host the shit show that Top Gear became? I spot a pattern emerging...
    Question of Sport, presented by Paddy McGuiness, axed 2023 

Top Gear, presented by Paddy McGuiness, axed 2023 

Take Me Out, presented by Paddy McGuiness, axed 2020 

Benchmark, presented by Paddy McGuiness, axed 2015 

Your Face Sounds Familiar, presented by Paddy McGuiness and Alesha Dixon, axed after one series, 2013 

71 Degrees North, presented by Paddy McGuiness, axed 2011 

Rory and Paddy's Great British Adventure, axed 2008 
    Paddy McGuiness should present a show called “ Kiss Of Death.
  • Options
    Not forgetting "Catchpoint", a quiz hosted by PMcG which symbollically featured a load of balls falling from above.
    (I actually DID forget Catchpoint and had to look it up)

• Options
    It’s a tired old format, a bit like a Rod Liddle column, and feels dated compared to A League of their Own, which is a much smarter show 
  • Options
    Awful just.......awful
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Tried to be like League of their own with the cheeky chap comedian as host and got rid of dear Sue

You reap what you sow. 

They had their own comedic sports quiz called They Think It's All Over which QOS out lasted. 
    With Nick Hancock, Rory McGrath and David Gower. Was very good 
    One of my favourite moments from that series was the Mystery Guest round where blindfolded contestants had to guess who was the mystery sportsperson they were feeling up.

One week David Gower and his teammate had to identify Sir Richard Hadlee who had onto the set wearing full ermine robes (and probably carrying a cricket bat). Gower and partner couldn't work out who it was before time was up and when he removed his blindfold Gower's first words were:

"You're not a f***ing Lord!"
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    IdleHans said:
    Didn't the charmless McGuiness also host the shit show that Top Gear became? I spot a pattern emerging...
    Question of Sport, presented by Paddy McGuiness, axed 2023 

Top Gear, presented by Paddy McGuiness, axed 2023 

Take Me Out, presented by Paddy McGuiness, axed 2020 

Benchmark, presented by Paddy McGuiness, axed 2015 

Your Face Sounds Familiar, presented by Paddy McGuiness and Alesha Dixon, axed after one series, 2013 

71 Degrees North, presented by Paddy McGuiness, axed 2011 

Rory and Paddy's Great British Adventure, axed 2008 
    You'll be shitting yourself when he takes over our first team when Mickey Apples gets ditched/jumps ship.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Tried to be like League of their own with the cheeky chap comedian as host and got rid of dear Sue

You reap what you sow. 

They had their own comedic sports quiz called They Think It's All Over which QOS out lasted. 
    One of my favourite moments from that series was the Mystery Guest round where blindfolded contestants had to guess who was the mystery sportsperson they were feeling up.

One week David Gower and his teammate had to identify Sir Richard Hadlee who had onto the set wearing full ermine robes (and probably carrying a cricket bat). Gower and partner couldn't work out who it was before time was up and when he removed his blindfold Gower's first words were:

TTIAO was bloody brilliant, I still have loads of them on DVD and periodically will re watch and it still makes me laugh. 
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/oW0duwy01as?si=HEIcKQF3OkgU-_3o

I know some may disregard this as its Talk TV/The Sun but I think Ally Ross gets this spot on
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

You reap what you sow. 

TTIAO was bloody brilliant, I still have loads of them on DVD and periodically will re watch and it still makes me laugh. 
    It didn't have James Corden either!

Stopped watching that youtube video when they claimed that they brought in a 50 year old white man due to wokeness! :lol: 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

You reap what you sow. 

Said earlier how I watched first ever episode being filmed.
    There was a lot that was too near the knuckle they had to cut out of the episode that aired, mainly Gower and Lineker calling each other C***S throughout the filming as a running joke

they also had monitors that they wrote answers on, but they broke, so whilst that was being fixed, Lee Hurst (who I had never heard of), just went into a 15 minute mini stand up routine to pass the time.