Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Good luck Cal Crutchlow

First pole for todays MotoGp race, if he wins it will be our first Brit winner since Barry Sheene.

Comments

• If he's leading after ten laps the race is his...fingers crossed.
  • edited June 2013
    Great start for Scott Redding as well. I'd say Toni Elias deserves a straight red for binning it on the warm up lap but he's pretty much done that for himself.
  • Good second for Scott redding still leader in Moto2 championship.
  • I would bloody love him to win it this year. It wouldn't just be a British victory, but one against Dorna and their biased, money and sponsor loving ways where rides depend on passports not talent.

Nice of BBC to drop it from their schedule this afternoon. Not too long ago they were ignoring Crutchlow's World Supersport title in favour of gymnastics, yet now they lord over him.
  • Agree RP, the Beeb did the same with Fogarty years ago.
  • Yeah, it's always been a bit of a minority sport. If it wasn't for Rossi then they probably wouldn't even be showing it now.

I don't want to tempt fate but I'd take this current result...
  • RedPanda said:

I would bloody love him to win it this year. It wouldn't just be a British victory, but one against Dorna and their biased, money and sponsor loving ways where rides depend on passports not talent.

Nice of BBC to drop it from their schedule this afternoon. Not too long ago they were ignoring Crutchlow's World Supersport title in favour of gymnastics, yet now they lord over him.

What do you mean? It was live in HD on the Red Button (as were the Moto3 & Moto2 races earlier in the day).
  • I was away camping this weekend and wanted to record it on Sky+ but couldn't find it anywhere.
  • red_murph said:

I was away camping this weekend and wanted to record it on Sky+ but couldn't find it anywhere.

No, you wouldn't. The Beeb haven't made the red button HD service available to users of Sky's boxes. It's most readily available as channel 980 on Freesat.

• RedPanda said:

I would bloody love him to win it this year. It wouldn't just be a British victory, but one against Dorna and their biased, money and sponsor loving ways where rides depend on passports not talent.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think BBC coverage sucks. Normally I just wait for the replay of the races on Eurosport, but really wanted to see this one.

Honestly think you're way off on the passport comment. MotoGP would love to have a winning British or German rider, the bizarre promotion of Bradley Smith proves that. I followed Cal's career from when he was a little kid in Natural Born Racers and while he stood out at that level I never thought there was a MotoGP rider in there. Through BSB, Supersport and WSB he's learned and improved and is right up there now.

That was the first race I've really enjoyed since Simo went. I know Vale isn't really a contender on anything other than a Yamaha track with Lorenzo out of commission, but it was lovely to see a bit of overtaking and him bringing it home. Don't particularly like Lorenzo but, my god, the bottle to ride like that with his injuries.
    red_murph said:

I was away camping this weekend and wanted to record it on Sky+ but couldn't find it anywhere.

It's annoying, but Eurosport is better coverage.

• Sponsored links:

• BBC's coverage is shite, it's not an important sport to them and Cox has been grating me for years. However, I would still take their coverage over none at all as it looks next year (unless you have BT).

I know that they have made an effort to promote Northern European riders a bit more, but there are still a lot of Spanish riders who are only there because of the money they can bring. God knows how Joan Olive was a GP rider for so long, I don't remember him having a decent race after being in the same team as Elias and Pedrosa around '02. At current it also looks like Crutchlow will be shunted off in favour of Pol Espargaro.

Likewise not a Lorenzo fan but he's always been a hard little bastard. I think it was Le Mans a couple of years ago where they literally had to pick him up off the bike and he was straight on to crutches.
  • RedPanda said:

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think BBC coverage sucks. Normally I just wait for the replay of the races on Eurosport, but really wanted to see this one.

Honestly think you're way off on the passport comment. MotoGP would love to have a winning British or German rider, the bizarre promotion of Bradley Smith proves that. I followed Cal's career from when he was a little kid in Natural Born Racers and while he stood out at that level I never thought there was a MotoGP rider in there. Through BSB, Supersport and WSB he's learned and improved and is right up there now.

That was the first race I've really enjoyed since Simo went. I know Vale isn't really a contender on anything other than a Yamaha track with Lorenzo out of commission, but it was lovely to see a bit of overtaking and him bringing it home. Don't particularly like Lorenzo but, my god, the bottle to ride like that with his injuries.
    red_murph said:

It's annoying, but Eurosport is better coverage.

Unfortunately I've not got Eurosport, Morts. Might have to consider getting it though, I've not seen any WSB or BSB this season and would love to see some of that.

Must say though, I don't mind Steve & Charlie on the beeb.
  • Know absolutely nothing about this sport but read about Jorge Lorenzo. Crashed on thursday and broke his collarbone. Flew home to Spain and had an operation that night. Flew back to Holland on friday afternoon. Then raced saturday and finished 5th. That is pretty unbelievable.
  • Know absolutely nothing about this sport but read about Jorge Lorenzo. Crashed on thursday and broke his collarbone. Flew home to Spain and had an operation that night. Flew back to Holland on friday afternoon. Then raced saturday and finished 5th. That is pretty unbelievable.

Apparently they gave him a shed load of pain killers before the race. Judging by the tears they had certainly worn off before the finish. I can't help but think that in a less gentlemanly sport someone might have shunted him to get him out for the season.
  • Smashed the metal plate that they put in, in another fall. Having some much needed rest. Decent race today but can't help think Marquez will piss off into the distant.
  • I haven't watched WSB or WSS much this year but am saddened to read this:
    http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detail.cfm?newstitle=Moscow-WSBK:-Andrea-Antonelli-has-died&newsid=9927

Laguna tonight if that's slipped under anyone's radar.
  • Crutchlow has signed a two-year deal with Ducati.
    bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/23536326
    Could be a good move if Audi finally get to sort out its prodigal bike subsidiary!