Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nineteen Firefighters Killed in Arizona

This is a disaster for the families of those concerned and for the people of Arizona and the USA in general.
For what it's worth, my sympathies and condolences to all those affected by the deaths and the deadly fires in general. I'm sure that all CLers will join with this sentiment.
Recent events in the US; hurricanes, typhoons, floods and fires have assumed biblical proportions. We in the UK in some respects can count ourselves fortunate to live in a land of temperate weather and climate.

Comments

• Options
    Terrible loss of life. Luckily a grass fire over here is not that dangerous, worst thing I have faced is standing corn alight, that can race towards you.
  • Options
    Got a soft spot for the people of Arizona, love phoenix and am a dbacks and suns supporter, so this news is horrible. Just goes to show how tiny a speck we really are in the midst of nature
  • Options
    Very sad indeed. RIP
  • Options
    Shocking , puts life into perspective.
  • Options
    I'm currently in Utah just north of Arizona. When we arrived on Friday the temperature was 122 deg F. Staggeringly hot. We had to dash from the comfort of my air conditioned car to the shelter of a supermarket. As you would expect the media is full of reports about the firemen. It would appear they sheltered under a kind of cover (similar to a sleeping bag) as the fire suddenly changed direction and raged over them.
  • Options
    absolutely terrible. Thoughts go out to family and friends of those who died. May they all RIP.
  • Options
    Very sad feel terrible for the families of these brave men. We live with the spectre of forest fires hanging over us - going to be over 100 degrees tomorrow here in Canmore, Alberta - several thousand km due north of Arizona. We are getting the same heat the West is getting - we have gone from devastating floods to crazy (altitude enhanced) heat within the space of a few days....
  • Options
    When I am sitting here in Scotland tutting over the rain outside, it makes you realise how blessed we are living in a temperate climate. RIP.
  • Options
    Very sad news from Arizona.

As Oakster has already said, floods last week in Alberta and now a heat wave. It was 35 deg C in Edmonton today and we've just had a hale storm. Crazy.
  • Options
    We were talking about this at work today (Kent Fire and Rescue HQ) and said we wouldn't know what to do if it was 19 of our own. Even when it's just 1 it still shocks you.

RIP.