Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Travelling experiences

Just a few questions about the idea of 'travelling'. I already know a few things and what I need to do but it's best to read the direct experiences of others.

I like the idea of working abroad for a while as is probably a common idea. I would actually like to find a job in a country like Canada and stay stationary for a while to get used to the surroundings, which probably goes against the idea of travelling.

Im guessing at least a few lifers have been there done it and bought the t.shirt.

Also an interesting thread to share experiences.

For anyone that's done it:

Where did you go?

What did you work as? (if applicable)

How much money did you take with you to start with?

Did you miss the Uk too much? If only for Charlton?

Was the experience worth it?

Your best and worst memories, experiences?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Canada .. my advise is check out the working visa requirements before you go. The Immigration/RCMP are (or rather were) very keen on nicking illegal workers when I was over there, and deportation if you are caught working illegally is a near certainty .
    Canadians generally are very friendly, except perhaps to Brits in Quebec, the country is spectacular, go in spring or summer, as winter on the mainland is seriously cold.
    If you get the chance try doing coast to coast by road. Even the unending prairies are a source of great interest. I spent quite some time in the Queen Charlotte Islands and Vancouver Island off the BC coast. VERY nice.
    Enjoy your trip
  • Options
    Working, legitimately, in other countries is often not straightforward.
    You have to remember that you, for them, are equivalent to our Romanians!
    I think Canada, for example has a pretty short list of jobs that don't need a work permit. So, unless you're an athlete or a clergyman you may find it difficult.
  • Options
    Canada have opened up their immigration laws in the past 18 months or so, it's a lot easier than it was. The opposite is now the case in Oz.

As I've rambled on about on here before, I've been backpacking a couple of times. My 4 months in South America and 2 and a half in Asia are the best times I've ever had.

Highlights are seeing wild gibbons and orangutans, being at a Rio derby with 82'000 inside the Maracana at the last game before they ripped it out, various activities, tourist sites and wildlife adventures but the most fun was always finding a good hostel. A decent group, happy hour and you're sorted.

Low points include my passport being stolen in Ecuador and being robbed at gunpoint in Colombia. The latter I'm cool with now though, not many people can claim to have had that happen. Seeing animal abuse in Thailand also really, really got to me at times.

I had planned on doing a loop around southern Africa at some point but I really can't face coming back jobless and living with my parents again. Madagascar is the dream.
  • Options
    Make up a moody insurance number and go for it.
    Alternatively look in the local papers and be up front about a bit of cash in hand.
  • Options
    I did 6 months travelling as an (early) mid life crisis career break, spending some savings. Briefly through the US then New Zealand, Australia and Asia, before finishing (by contrast) in Switzerland. A wonderful experience. You can make these trips expensive or cheap, depending on where you stay and what countries you spend time in, as there's massive difference in costs between difference countries of the world.

The most surreal part was watching Curbishley's last game in charge of us on tv in Singapore, that was the only time in the whole trip that I wanted to be back in the UK...
  • Options
    Technical dive guide in Egypt great 'job' for a while but then 12 hour days become a bit much.not as good as it sounds in the end.
    Friend did travelling bit and settled in Canada loved it so much. he's been there about 20 years now.
  • Options
    Went "Travelling" at 19 for one year with my best mate to the usual, SE Asia, Australia, NZ. Came home to a recession, no jobs and was a real reality check. Best experience of my life.

The term "travelling" is used too frequently (basically it's university without the studying) I was fortunate to work for just 12 weeks out of 52 thanks to saving hard for a year and using some insurance money I was given at 18.
    If you don't have a qualification / skill set and don't have much money the novelty of working 12 hours shifts in a bar to make money to pay rent in a backpackers hostel would soon wear off so think carefully about what work you'd do - Saying that, you have the freedom to do jobs / try things you may have never considered back home. For example, I spent 4 weeks working 15 hour days 7 days a week milking 200+ cows twice a day. After one week the farmer buggered off for a holiday and we had to look after the whole cattle and farm by ourselves. Certainly an experience I wouldn't get in Sidcup.

The main issue I found is not being prepared to come home and face the real world. I definatley thought that the world owed me a living and everyone should just be travelling or backpacking.
    I worked in various roles for years trying to figure out how I could get away again but however much I love to travel, I knew deep down that buggering off with 1,500 in my pocket would more than likely end up with me coming home again in 2 months and back to square one. I got my travel fix by visiting places around Europe on a budget and ryanair flight and have seen most cities in Europe that interest me over the last 5 years.

Six years on I now have a good job which I stumbled into somehow, they are paying for me to go to University part-time next year and for the first time I have a "career".
    I still reminiss about the same stories with my mate down the pub on a weekly/monthly basis. It's rare that we won't speak about memories or stories starting with "Do you remember when..." - I will never get bored of them and often end up in tears of laughter remember another small detail.

This doesn't mean that travelling has to end though. Four weeks ago I got a small bonus, so I booked a flight into Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam and fly out of Hanoi 23 days later. Work hard, use my annual leave wisely and get the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    Thanks a few interesting accounts, sounds like it's definitely an enjoyable thing and at the end of the day you do only live the once.
  • Options
    @Dave21 - I came over to Whistler, BC 7 years ago and am still here. Let me know if you have any specific questions. It's a pretty cool place, both in winter and summer.