Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clear as mud

Amendment to law becomes effective from today.

OFFSIDE LAW CHANGE IN FULL
‘INTERFERING’ – what the law used to say
“interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate.
“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movement or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.
INTERFERING – what the law now says
“interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate.
“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movement or challenging an opponent for the ball.
GAINING AN ADVANTAGE – what the law used to say
“Gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a goal post or the crossbar having been in an offside position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position.
GAINING AN ADVANTAGE - what the law now says
“Gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball…
That rebounds or is deflected to him off the goal post, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position.
That rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position.
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage.

Comments

• Options
    Seems clear to me. You know this rule was only invented to stop girls playing football:-)
  • Options
    I couldn't be bothered to read that so god knows what footballers will do.
  • Options
    After several readings, I think I understand it. Apparently "making a gesture ... which distracts an opponent" is no longer an offence. V-signs all round, then.
  • Options
    It means less things are offside.. more goals in the game is a positive.
  • Options
    Means you can't go and tackle someone when you're offside too I think.
  • Options

Until a bloke standing six feet in front of our keeper when the ball passes between his legs is declared not interfering when the ball goes in the net, because he did not move.

• Options

Until a bloke standing six feet in front of our keeper when the ball passes between his legs is declared not interfering when the ball goes in the net, because he did not move.

But the bloke would be "preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision". So, if the ref's got his spex on, it's offside!