Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Abramovich's 10 Years at Chelsea: Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Very interesting contribution from Matthew Syed on Abramovich's role at Chelsea and impact on English football. Not sure that Sky understood quite what he would say going into it, and not sure the presenters and Cascarino followed his line of thinking throughout (You can see the gears in Cascarino's head turning!). It's interesting in terms of our own owners, the recent Russian flirts and the state of the football economy. Well worth the few minutes of your time:

http://youtu.be/GmCtci6cen8

Comments

• Options
    Poor old Cas has headed way too many footballs, really didn't get the broader point at all!
  • Options
    That's fantastic, I bet the producers were going mad !
  • Options
    I'm sure you can hear the Sky Sports producer phoning their lawyer halfway through that.
    :-)
  • Options
    Someone is saying this. Well done Matthew Syed. Thanks for posting Lookout.
  • Options
    I know this is controversial but if we had the opportunity to have a ten year ride like Chelsea have had I would not complain where the money came from!
  • Options
    Behind every great fortune lies a crime - Honore de Balzac.

• Options
    Syed is one of the best sports journalists there is. Highly intelligent and articulate man. He also was a mighty fine ping pong player.
  • Options
    He's spot on, and put it across very well.

Shows the level of a lot of modern media that they look to turn away from a very interesting debate and 'get back to football', missing the point completely.
  • Options

I know this is controversial but if we had the opportunity to have a ten year ride like Chelsea have had I would not complain where the money came from!

me neither

• Options
    I would. The other issue is the fact a lot of it is still 'soft" loans from Abramovic - he pulls out at any point and they are Pompey x 10.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

me neither

I would.

I would. The other issue is the fact a lot of it is still 'soft" loans from Abramovic - he pulls out at any point and they are Pompey x 10.

Apparently most of those loans have been paid back and only a small amount is owing to Abramovich but not sure how that can be verified, I assume Chelsea don't have to release full financials.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

me neither

I would.

Apparently most of those loans have been paid back and only a small amount is owing to Abramovich but not sure how that can be verified, I assume Chelsea don't have to release full financials.
    Last I read (as you say, we have no real way of knowing, it was 'only' £700m odd as £300m-odd had been converted into shares.
  • Options

se9addick said:

me neither

I would.

Last I read (as you say, we have no real way of knowing, it was 'only' £700m odd as £300m-odd had been converted into shares.
    Fair enough, there was a BBC 5Live special the other day on the 10 years of Abramovich (you can still download as an podcast some of it was good, 90% was Cascarino levels of insight) that said only a small amount waa owing. but even if RA has paid back an amount the point remains that many owners whose money is of dubious origin have saddled their club with debt and disappeared into the sunset.

I support Charlton for the long run, I don't kneed us to get into bed with some shady characters for a couple of seasons in the sun before the inevitable financial meltdown.
  • Options

Just shuffling the debt around - £166m of the debt was turned into equity and Chelsea made good money out of winning the CL. Abramovich has simply transferred his debt to the holding company rather than the club. But since he's the sole shareholder of the holding company is there any difference?
  • Options
    This is brilliant, thanks for posting. As much as I love Abramovich bashing, any video that makes Cascarino look like the idiot he is is very welcome (ie all of them). He's a bottom feeder of the worst kind.

As for 'I wouldn't complain if it was us', well that puts you in the same boat as Cascarino. Which says it all.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

me neither

I would.

How can they pay them back, they've been losing 60 million quid + per season every season he has been there!!!

As others have said, they have not paid back the debt merely transferred it to a different company.

Cannot stand Abrahmovich or Chelsea, they both make my skin crawl, if you want to see Abrahmovich properly ripped to shreds check out Taki in The Spectator who destroys him and his dreadful ilk in most issues.

One day Vlad The Impaler will catch up with dear old Roman and Chelsea will drift back to mediocrity.
  • Options

I do feel slightly sorry for Cascarino. He was expecting a nice chat about football and ended up on question time.

He must have felt like that bloke on BBC news a few years back. The delivery man who was flung on screen to talk about financial news and tried hard, but clearly had no idea what they were going on about!

But isn't it this sort of level of analysis that football fans really want ? Most aren't idiots and want to talk about the game on a deeper level rather than "Abramovich has been amazing, he's bought loads of players and given them loads of money". The comment that he's put British football on the map by Kirsty Gallagher was absolutely appalling.

se9addick said:

me neither

I would.

How can they pay them back, they've been losing 60 million quid + per season every season he has been there!!!

As others have said, they have not paid back the debt merely transferred it to a different company.

Cannot stand Abrahmovich or Chelsea, they both make my skin crawl, if you want to see Abrahmovich properly ripped to shreds check out Taki in The Spectator who destroys him and his dreadful ilk in most issues.

One day Vlad The Impaler will catch up with dear old Roman and Chelsea will drift back to mediocrity.
    But do we know any detail behind this as I thought they didn't make their financials available ?

The broadcast I was referring to was on 5lives Monday Night Club on the 17th and they said that "not much" was still owed to RA - of course this wasn't qualified in anyway, I'm merely pointing out what was said.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I do feel slightly sorry for Cascarino. He was expecting a nice chat about football and ended up on question time.

He must have felt like that bloke on BBC news a few years back. The delivery man who was flung on screen to talk about financial news and tried hard, but clearly had no idea what they were going on about!

But isn't it this sort of level of analysis that football fans really want ? Most aren't idiots and want to talk about the game on a deeper level rather than "Abramovich has been amazing, he's bought loads of players and given them loads of money". The comment that he's put British football on the map by Kirsty Gallagher was absolutely appalling.

se9addick said:

me neither

I would.

But do we know any detail behind this as I thought they didn't make their financials available ?

The broadcast I was referring to was on 5lives Monday Night Club on the 17th and they said that "not much" was still owed to RA - of course this wasn't qualified in anyway, I'm merely pointing out what was said.
    Gallacher's comment was majorly cringe inducing. They truly believe that dressing smart and doing impersonations of news journalists makes them an authority on all subjects, hiding behind the guise of 'devil's advocate' should they get called on their stupidity.

And nobody should ever, ever feel sorry for Cascarino being put into a position of having to know what he's talking about, when he's consistently paid large amounts of money for doing precisely the opposite. He has no qualifications for the kind of job he has. None.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    JiMMy 85 said:

This is brilliant, thanks for posting. As much as I love Abramovich bashing, any video that makes Cascarino look like the idiot he is is very welcome (ie all of them). He's a bottom feeder of the worst kind.

As for 'I wouldn't complain if it was us', well that puts you in the same boat as Cascarino. Which says it all.

Er, no it doesn't! Cascarino in a poorly educated retired footballer who had no knowledge (I believe) of where the money came from of how Abramovich came to have it. I am not a retired footballer, I am well educated and I knew, exactly, where the money came from and what process led to so much of it belonging to one man!

The difference is that I am willing to accept funding from sources that would not pass the most ethical scrutiny.

It would be naive to believe that none of the money that has funded our club over the years has come from a dubious practice.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

And nobody should ever, ever feel sorry for Cascarino being put into a position of having to know what he's talking about, when he's consistently paid large amounts of money for doing precisely the opposite. He has no qualifications for the kind of job he has. None.

He's paid to pass comment of football topics of the day - most of which are about the actual game of football. Tony Cascarino played a total of 629 League games and scored 248 goals. He also played 88 International matches. Just what other qualifications do you, really, want for a chap to sit on a desk and answer questions about football from a TV presenter?

I'd, really, love to see a list of the desired qualifications you expect?

A degree in Media Studies? An MBA perhaps? A PhD in Economics maybe?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    He's on TV talking, so the ability to articulate soundly would be ideal. But he talks cliches and sentences that often don't make much sense. Like most 'pundits' he talks about something else before finishing his original sentence. Beyond that, he uses his Times columns to pass judgement on a huge variety of subjects that have absolutely no relation to what he experienced as a journeyman footballer.

It does make me smile that you've written so much in defence of the man. You'd LOVE to see the list?! Really? You'd love to? I think it's well funny how riled you can get by a passing comment on a footy forum!

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

The difference is that I am willing to accept funding from sources that would not pass the most ethical scrutiny.

This may reflect the feelings of a lot of fans.

Is there a line you would not cross? If, say, IG Farben had offered to plough fortunes into the club in 1943, to make us the best team in the world, would you have accepted their money?

Regarding football commentators, in my opinion, no qualifications are needed. However, if you are getting paid to talk about a football, you really should have knowledge, an opinion that you are prepared to share, and the ability to express yourself as a minimum.
  • Options
    You have different people on to talk about different aspects of the sport, for example on the BBC's F1 coverage, Coulthard has expertise on driving the car, EJ's expertise (of sorts) is in how F1 teams operate while Harry Anderson covers the technical side of car design.

Similarly, you wouldn't expect a former player to make a meaningful contribution to a discussion about the finances of football, and the moral aspects of the money and where it came from. Indeed virtually all players turned pundits stick up for current salary levels and transfer fees
    "It's a short career"
    "It's not his fault xxxx paid £25m for him"
    "If Club A wasn't willing to pay £200k a week, then Club B would do instead"
    etc
    The bigger picture is rarely considered.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

He's on TV talking, so the ability to articulate soundly would be ideal. But he talks cliches and sentences that often don't make much sense. Like most 'pundits' he talks about something else before finishing his original sentence. Beyond that, he uses his Times columns to pass judgement on a huge variety of subjects that have absolutely no relation to what he experienced as a journeyman footballer.

It does make me smile that you've written so much in defence of the man. You'd LOVE to see the list?! Really? You'd love to? I think it's well funny how riled you can get by a passing comment on a footy forum!

Do you not think that there is a reason why most pundits talk like that? Of course he doesn't sound intelligent but I'm not sure that the majority of the football public want that.

I was most riles by your suggestion that I am a bottom feeder of the worst kind, to be honest.
  • Options
    Forgive my exaggerations. It really is the difference between how some of us approach football forums.

I would hazard a total guess that a large amount of football fans would much prefer listening to people who can do better than 'Cas'. I'd like to think the football fan is being underestimated on that front.

The bottom feeder comment was regarding how Cascarino makes a living. One the one hand I've read or heard him denounce football agents as money-grabbers, taking millions out of the game. Meanwhile he gets paid indirectly from the same well, for doing a job I personally believe he's utterly useless at.
  • Options
    Let's be clear here, Cascarino won't be getting rich from appearing on SSN!

Retired footballers are ten a penny, he'd be very lucky to be getting a couple of hundred quid per appearance, if that.

He does it because it keeps him in the public eye which, in turn, helps him to make better money from after dinner speaking etc.
  • Options
    I'm referring to his work with The Times, TalkSport, SSN and anyone else who will hire him. How much he gets is irrelevant. That he gets anything bothers me.
  • Options
    A'Ich set the proverbial benchmark for future owners and for players expectations of wages and contracts .. all in all BAD ... he should f*** off back to Russia
  • Options
    Brilliant post, Lookie. I dont know Matthew Syed at all, but my goodness, hats off to him. That needed saying.