Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man Utd: Ryan Giggs & Phil Neville to join coaching staff

Good move by Moyes. Giggs will manage Man U one day.
Manchester United have named Ryan Giggs as player-coach with Phil Neville set to become their new first-team coach.
Giggs, who will be 40 in November, and ex-United player Neville, 36, are the latest additions to new manager David Moyes's backroom team at Old Trafford.
"I'm delighted that Ryan has accepted the chance to become player-coach," said Moyes.
Ryan Giggs factfile

Position: Midfielder
Appearances: 941
Goals: 168
Premier League titles: 13
FA Cup titles: Four
League Cup titles: Four
Champions League titles: Two
Giggs added: "It's no secret I've been taking my qualification. I see this as the first step in my future career."
It is expected that the club will name 36-year-old Neville as the club's new first-team coach following the departure of Rene Meulensteen.
Giggs continued: "It's a great privilege to be appointed as player-coach. I hope I will be able to bring my experience to bear, having been both a player and part of the Manchester United family for so long.
"I'm really looking forward to working alongside David and the team."
Midfielder Giggs signed a new one-year contract with United in March which will run until June 2014 when he completes his 23rd season with the club.
The former Wales skipper, who also captained Great Britain at last summer's London Olympics, made his United debut on 2 March 1991 and has since won 13 league titles, four FA Cups, four League Cups and two Champions League titles.
"His success and ability to adapt his game over a number of years gives him an unrivalled perspective on the modern game," Moyes said of Giggs.
"His career is an example to any aspiring young player and I'm sure that both he and the players will benefit from his new role."
He joins the new coaching set-up which is largely comprised of people who worked under him at Everton - with assistant manager Steve Round, coach Jimmy Lumsden and goalkeeping coach Chris Woods added to the Old Trafford staff earlier in the week.
Did you know?
Phil Neville was also a promising cricketer and in 1992, aged just 15, played for Lancashire's second XI against a Middlesex side including future England Test players Aftab Habib and Richard Johnson

Neville came through the ranks at United, played under Moyes at Goodison Park and left the club at the same time as the Scot.
He told BBC Sport in June that he was considering a career in coaching and recently worked with the England Under-21 team in Israel.
A full-back or midfielder, who earned 59 England caps during his playing career, Neville made his Premier League debut for United in 1995 in a 3-0 win over Manchester City.
He won six Premier League titles, three FA Cups and one Champions League crown at Old Trafford before joining Everton for £3.5m in 2005

Comments

• Options
    Would love to see Giggs eventually hit 1000 Manchester United appearances. Might fall just short though.
  • Options
    jobs for the boys.

wonder if gigs will get two pay checks?
  • Options
    He should be able to provide Moyes with invaluable experience in playing away from home.
  • Options
    If only CP and Alex Dyer knew them or had been on some sort of coaching coarse with them.

Then they could tap them up for loan players or use the facilities at Carrington when we're playing up north.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Would love to see Giggs eventually hit 1000 Manchester United appearances. Might fall just short though.

He'd probably need to be there for three more seasons to get the extra 60 appearances so not out of the question and would be a truly incredible achievement if he managed it.
  • Options
    Seems like a sensible move to me - Neville having grown up with the club and being close to Moyes, and Giggs being part of the furniture - I think they will do well.
  • Options
    did Phil Neville really get 59 England caps?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

cafctom said:

He'd probably need to be there for three more seasons to get the extra 60 appearances so not out of the question and would be a truly incredible achievement if he managed it.
    31 nd 32 appearances last 2 years, so might get close if he plays this year and next.
  • Options
    got more coaches than TfL