Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Uniqlo/H & M v Nike/Addidas

I noticed that Djokovic is wearing a Uniqlo shirt and Birdych (sp?) Had a H & M shirt.

How and why do these two big retail chains, neither of whom splash their logos on their schmutter, outbid the likes of Nike and Addidas.

Clearly they have offered the players better deal and it is prime advertising by why?

Will they move into other sports such as football?

Comments

• Options
    how long have you been in that pub garden?
  • Options
    Adam Scott (a golfer) wears Uniqlo and now they've launched their tennis range. It would seem inconceivable that they won't soon move into other sports clothing.
    uniqlo.com/uk/corp/pressrelease/2013/05/uniqlo_to_launch_tennis_appare.html
  • Options
    Macronate said:

how long have you been in that pub garden?

Only two pints : - )

• Options
    So far
  • Options
    Think you're right - they need the advertising. You seem to have forgotten their name already.
  • Options
    Henry disappointed in your not keeping up with potential buyers threads
    Stefan Persson? Main shareholder in H&M? Richest person in Sweden, eighth richest in the world? Apparently a supporter of Djurgardens IF who play in navy and sky blue stripes?
  • Options
    Could be because Golf/Tennis is more middle class?

Plus it's a lot cheaper to move into those sports than football.
  • Options
    Boom said:

Think you're right - they need the advertising. You seem to have forgotten their name already.

Err, no.

• Options

You think? uniqlo.com/uk/corp/pressrelease/2012/10/uniqlo_and_novak_djokovic_join.html
  • Options
    Well it's ridiculous how sportswear companies can monopolise the production of what is just fairly simple clothing. Producing a breathable tennis shirt is hardly rocket science.

Nike and Adidas Wimbledon tennis shirts are now virtually plain white t shirts, I don't know if the rules changed, but in previous years, wimbledon tennis shirts would have a splash of colour on them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm a bit out of touch with fashion but a couple of years ago I saw Novak in a Uniqlo top and figured it was the next big thing in fashion however when I saw the store in Bluewater I realised it was really not like that at all. Quite cheap in fact and reminded me of an H&M

Never bought anything from there mind - far too trendy for me
  • Options
    Two decent shops with decent clothes. Far happier in one if those than say Carbrini, Macron or Allsports
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    H&M is the IKEA of 'fast fashion' clothing, the company has lots and lots of money to spend on marketing/advertising. Uniqlo has taken the approach, so far, of just signing one Megastar, Djokovic, to wear their clothes rather than the scattergun approach adopted by adidas/nike who try to sign up any team and/or individual who is flavour of the month in any sport. I think the adidas/nike approach is wrong, it tends to cheapen the brand when surely the idea is to go for the perception of exclusivity for the wearer. Whatever, the stuff is probably all made in the same street in Cambodia

EDIT I see from a previous post that Uniqlo has also signed up a top golfer in Scott .. good move as he won a major earlier this year
  • Options

• Options
    The problem with Nike and Adidas, is that their sportswear isn't exciting enough. Murray may be paid a fortune by Adidas (and good luck to him) but in return they've given him a dull, generic shirt, with no design flair at all. Who would see that shirt and want to buy it, as nobody would think "you've got the Andy Murray shirt on"? When you look at the Edberg shirt in my photo above, you see something distinctive which an Edberg fan might want to buy.

At least Djokovic's tennis shirt is unique to him...
  • Options
    I think the rule at Wimbledon is that the gear that they wear must be "predominantly white" so presumably that dictates the colour. Plus tennis in the UK is aimed at a traditional audience middle class sort of audience, I can't imagine many yoof wanting to buy something just because Andy Murray wears it, but plenty of club tennis players might. They are the likely target audience for Adidas and Nike.

What does he wear at other tournaments which have less restrictive codes?
  • Options
    Addidas?
  • Options

Stefan Persson? Main shareholder in H&M? Richest person in Sweden, eighth richest in the world? Apparently a supporter of Djurgardens IF who play in navy and sky blue stripes?

Does he want to buy a football club, Abs ?

• Options

Does he want to buy a football club, Abs ?

He was the kocs competitor, but pulled out ;-(
  • Options
    H&Ms in Scandinavia have running gear as well, decent stuff for cheap.

Also sat here in a Uniqlo polo thanks to Adam Scott, advertising does work!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think the rule at Wimbledon is that the gear that they wear must be "predominantly white" so presumably that dictates the colour. Plus tennis in the UK is aimed at a traditional audience middle class sort of audience, I can't imagine many yoof wanting to buy something just because Andy Murray wears it, but plenty of club tennis players might. They are the likely target audience for Adidas and Nike.

What does he wear at other tournaments which have less restrictive codes?

The rule was predominantly white back in the 70s and 80s, yet shirts managed to have splashes of colour on them, I don't know if the rules have got stricter now? Back then there more general fashion houses involved, and other smaller sports companies, but like football, we seem to be heading for a boring Adidas, Nike duopoly.

Murray wears coloured shirts at other tournaments