Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crash at San Franciso Airport

2»

Comments

• Options
    San Francisco has 2 parallel runways. I remember flying into it and seeing another plane next to us - also looking to land. I was a little concerned but then realised that there were 2 runways and all was well. Still scared the bejeesus out of me at the time
  • Options
    CatAddick said:

Thanks for cheering me up everyone! Guess who is flying into SF in an Air France 777?

You'll be fine. I've flown in/out of SFO more than 60 times and never crashed ;-)

Seriously, it is a little weird coming in so low over water on the final approach and more than once I've thought that the sea wall (aka bunch of massive rocks wired together) looks a bit high, but this definitely looks like pilot error and I'm sure the majority of landings are on instruments

jblockmatt - not really a tip but very spread out (runway wise; takes an age to taxi) and deserted in the international terminal compared to LHR or LGW
    Never flown in to SF but sounds like coming in to Dublin - first time I flew in there, we seemed to be seriously low and all I could see out of the windows on both sides was water. Didn't help that there were the usual Irish cross-winds to contend with, so don't mind admitting that I fastened my seat belt extra tight that day. Landing wasn't great. When we were getting off the plane I had to ask the stewardess 'did we land or were we shot down?'

• Options

CatAddick said:

Thanks for cheering me up everyone! Guess who is flying into SF in an Air France 777?

You'll be fine. I've flown in/out of SFO more than 60 times and never crashed ;-)

Seriously, it is a little weird coming in so low over water on the final approach and more than once I've thought that the sea wall (aka bunch of massive rocks wired together) looks a bit high, but this definitely looks like pilot error and I'm sure the majority of landings are on instruments

jblockmatt - not really a tip but very spread out (runway wise; takes an age to taxi) and deserted in the international terminal compared to LHR or LGW
    Never flown in to SF but sounds like coming in to Dublin - first time I flew in there, we seemed to be seriously low and all I could see out of the windows on both sides was water. Didn't help that there were the usual Irish cross-winds to contend with, so don't mind admitting that I fastened my seat belt extra tight that day. Landing wasn't great. When we were getting off the plane I had to ask the stewardess 'did we land or were we shot down?'
    Speak of bad landings...
    reminds me of a recent landing on an a380.
    We didn't alf' come down with a thud! that's a big bit of kit that plane!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

San Francisco has 2 parallel runways. I remember flying into it and seeing another plane next to us - also looking to land. I was a little concerned but then realised that there were 2 runways and all was well. Still scared the bejeesus out of me at the time

Dallas is similar but with a few more runways. Cures your constipation.
  • Options
    Was flying into LaGuardia in NY once, always a scary proposition, lots of water around and you seem to come in sideways and the plane only straightens as you are about to land. Anyway, this time just as the wheels were about to touch the plane took off again, pilot didn't come back on for another 10 minutes, apparently another plane still on the runway....scare the s**t out of me.
  • Options
    Try living in Atlanta (officially the worlds busiest airport!)....always 2 planes taking off and landing at the same time.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Was flying into LaGuardia in NY once, always a scary proposition, lots of water around and you seem to come in sideways and the plane only straightens as you are about to land. Anyway, this time just as the wheels were about to touch the plane took off again, pilot didn't come back on for another 10 minutes, apparently another plane still on the runway....scare the s**t out of me.

Exact same thing happened to me at the same airport, but it was due to fog and insufficient visibility at the relevant altitude. However with regard to a so-called 'go around', it is my understanding that at times planes are instructed to 'go around' as part of a pilot's training (without pre-warning), even though they will likely tell the passengers it was due to a plane being slow to leave the runway etc.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Arriving on Air France from Paris to Heathrow three weeks ago the plane touched down, and then took off straight away. Apparently had we continued we would have hit the back of the plane that landed in front of us. I suppose the pilot was worried about a tailgating fine. Scared the bejaysus out of me.
  • Options
    Vancouver is another airport where you come in and land over water, usually pretty blustery - prefer it to Toronto though where the wheels seem to touch the warehouse roofs that surround the airport as you come in.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Nug said:

Arriving on Air France from Paris to Heathrow three weeks ago the plane touched down, and then took off straight away. Apparently had we continued we would have hit the back of the plane that landed in front of us. I suppose the pilot was worried about a tailgating fine. Scared the bejaysus out of me.
    Same happened to me at Salonika airport.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oakster said:

Vancouver is another airport where you come in and land over water, usually pretty blustery - prefer it to Toronto though where the wheels seem to touch the warehouse roofs that surround the airport as you come in.

Second that. Pearson was a f***ing horrible place to fly into - I swear we cleared the last warehouse by about ten feet.
  • Options
    Blimey how unlucky is that?

Survives a plane crash to be run over by a rescue vehicle.