Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dave Hickson R.I.P.

Everton centre forward who had a special link with Charlton in that he was the recipient of a swinging right hook from goalkeeper Willie Duff in the 4th round 1959 F.A. cup match. This, as I remember, was after play was stopped, so it was all there to be seen.

Duff tore off his shirt and marched off before the referee could decide what to do. My first proper game, left wondering what the next games would bring.

Comments

• Options
    I went to that game. They said that were 44000 there, I think they understated the crowd by about 20000.

What I remember is a corner coming over, Willie came out to punch, but he made no attempt to punch the ball, just Hickson's jaw.

Henry Cooper would have been proud of that punch. Hickson was flat on his back for about five minutes. Willie just marched straight off.

I'm sure Hickson wouldn't mind me saying that he was what they call an "old fashioned centre forward", i.e a dirty *******! There must have been a good reason for Willie to do what he did, because it was completely out of character.
  • Options
    I remember him playing for Middelsbro in the early 70's.
  • Options
    I was at this game, it was the first time I had seen someone sent off.

Everton stuffed us in the replay 4-0, I think that was the scoreline.

RIP
  • Options
    If I remember rightly, Dave Hickson came to this F A Cup game with a fearsome reputation as a hardman centre-forward but Gordon Jago had him in his pocket all game. Gordon looked a slightly built centre-half but was hard in on Hickson throughout the game and did not give him a chance to settle into his rough tactics. Duff probably got a few digs from Hickson as the game went on (or it could have been "history" from previous games) and decided to settle things his way. Agreed it was out of character for him but it must have given him the satisfaction he wanted. It did cheer the fans to see the hardman flat on his back for a change!
    RIP Dave Hickson - one of the "old school" tough centre-forwards.
  • Options
    Just a little addition.....the replay was in front of over 70,000 at Goodison which remained a record for a cup replay under lights for ages, should have been fogged off as apparently you couldn't see a thing!
  • Options
    I remember having a chatroom chat with Willie (I'm sure it was him and not his son, but memory is going) about ten years ago and remember him talking about this incident.
  • Options
    yes I was there and it was one of my earliest memories of a great goalie.

rip Dave Hickson
  • Options
    A good old pro in his time RIP
  • Options
    RIP Mr Hickson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As the willie/Dave incident was an FA cup game it was filmed I wonder if it is in the BBC archives ? RIP dashing Dave Hickson old school CF with both mersey clubs ( also served Huddersfield & Villa I think ).
  • Options

RIP

I mentioned the incident on the" Fattest player to play for Charlton " thread, however the first player I saw sent off was Benny Fenton

• Options
    How did he manage that?

Shame Benny Fenton became such a good manager for Millwall.
  • Options
    Remember it well, Duff help Mike Bailey football at my school, when we did cross country liked to remind him of it.
  • Options

How did he manage that?

Shame Benny Fenton became such a good manager for Millwall.

He was sent off for fighting. It was very rare to be dismissed then.

• Options

RIP

I mentioned the incident on the" Fattest player to play for Charlton " thread, however the first player I saw sent off was Benny Fenton

Starinn .. you must be one of the longest serving Addicks Addicts, Fenton went in 1955 !! .. do you still get to the valley ?
  • Options

RIP

Starinn .. you must be one of the longest serving Addicks Addicts, Fenton went in 1955 !! .. do you still get to the valley ?
    Season ticket holder. Saw my first game Feb 1950.

• Options

RIP

Season ticket holder. Saw my first game Feb 1950.

that IS impressive and may you enjoy many more seasons
  • Options
    Hinton said:

Remember it well, Duff help Mike Bailey football at my school, when we did cross country liked to remind him of it.

Was that at Charlton Secondary Hinton?

• Options
    Yes Hated the place. Taught me nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Hickson ( on the right ) scoreing at white hart lane in 1954.
  • Options
    Did this happen this year? (Hickson RIP). Hope your jaw recovered though.