Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tevez

Oh the wonderful British legal system and the haves and havenots..........

Carlos Tevez community service order replaced with fine

Tevez was given the community service order at Macclesfield Magistrates' Court in April
Lawyers for former Manchester City footballer Carlos Tevez have had his community service order rescinded because he has moved to Italy.

Macclesfield Magistrates' Court ruled the player would pay a £3,000 fine instead of fulfilling the order.

The striker still had to complete the majority of his 250 hours' of unpaid work, imposed as punishment for a string of driving offences.

Tevez transferred from City to Juventus last month.

District Judge Bridget Knight accepted there were circumstances beyond Tevez's control in his inability to fulfil the terms of his order, saying: "This is only a technical breach. It is not, I repeat not, a case of a footballer thumbing his nose at a court order."

It is thought Tevez's legal team argued that as the South American was sold by Manchester City, he was not responsible in law for his inability to comply with the order.

His lawyer, Gwyn Lewis, said: "Things have happened which are beyond his control.

"Obviously his move to Italy has taken place and as a result of that the order isn't practical any more.

"It's not a case of some ruse being found. This is a case where he did the appropriate thing, he came with the matter back to court, and had it re-sentenced."

Tevez said: "I would like to thank the court for its understanding. I appreciate their help and assistance in this case."

Comments

• Options
    Sounds resonable
  • Options
    Sound fair to me, however if I have been the judge I think I would have worked out his hourly rate of pay and times by the hours still to completed. Ie if he's on £100,000 / week and lets say he works 25 (its easy sum at this time in morning) then that equates to 10 weeks or a million pound fine, which seems more realistic to me. You argue about the figures if you want, but its the principle that I am interested in.
  • Options
    Fair punishment from me would have been to completed his community service and bollocks to his transfer.
  • Options

Fair punishment from me would have been to completed his community service and bollocks to his transfer.

Totally agree. Can you imagine being up in front of the courts for bank robbery and saying "okay, I did it. But before you pass sentence, I must warn you, I'm moving to brazil next week".
  • Options
    Should have been much more than that, but I do agree it was the sensible thing to do.
  • Options
    It's a bizarre situation. In any other job if you were halfway through a community service order you'd not be finding a new employer in another country. Personally I think he should have to complete the order, or to agree to do something similar in Italy.
  • Options
    'Tevez said: "I would like to thank the court for its understanding. I appreciate their help and assistance in this case."

I would like to bet that Tevez said no such thing!!
  • Options
    Part of the problem though is the rules around community service. You are legally only allowed to do 40 hours a week. I believe Teves' team did offer to do the remaining hours over a 2 week period before he'd need to be in pre-season with Juve, but the rules prevented that.

Pretty much no amount of money is going to replace that community service. The whole point was that he's rich and no fine would work, so the community service order was the best way of punishing him.
  • Options

Sound fair to me, however if I have been the judge I think I would have worked out his hourly rate of pay and times by the hours still to completed. Ie if he's on £100,000 / week and lets say he works 25 (its easy sum at this time in morning) then that equates to 10 weeks or a million pound fine, which seems more realistic to me. You argue about the figures if you want, but its the principle that I am interested in.

Unfortunately we don't work out fines that way in the UK.

Some years ago in Germany Stefan Effenberg was stopped for speeding and ended up with a 10,000 Euro fine on account of the huge wages he was earning at the time - where they do take into account your salary. Part of the fine was for speeding, most of it was for calling the policeman who stopped him a wanker (allegedly).

• Options
    I wonder how much that £3000 hurt Tevez's pocket. ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I wonder how much that £3000 hurt Tevez's pocket. ?

Probably just a little prick....
  • Options

I'm no Tevez fan, but a £1M fine for a driving offence is ridiculous :-)
  • Options
    This is the problem you always have with fines. Either you have to fine different people different amounts for the same offence to try and balance the financial pain, but is clearly unfair. Or you have flat fines, which don't effect the rich as much as the poor, which is clearly unfair too.

I'm sure that was the whole point of giving him community service in the first place, a punishment that couldn't be seen as financially unfair either way, and would actually punish him.
  • Options

'Tevez said: "I would like to thank the court for its understanding. I appreciate their help and assistance in this case."

I would like to bet that Tevez said no such thing!!

At least not in English.

• Options
    If he did 8 hours a day 5 days a week it would have taken him more than 6 straight weeks to complete his sentence, he was never gonna do it.