Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Its a hell of a different Premiership to the one we left

Just seen that Swansea and Southampton paid a combined £25m on transfer fees alone for two players.
Crazy times.

Comments

• Options
    Transfer fees go up? Amazing.
  • Options
    The money involved with being in the prem is a LOT more than what it was when we were there. And sounthampton have a very rich benefactor.
  • Options
    Bony is supposed to be decent, can't say I've actually seen much of him other than YouTube but I have seen a lot of Wanyama and whilst he's good, £12.5m is an incredible amount for him, I can only imagine that there was stiff competition because I really don't think there's anyone in Scotland that's worth even half of that these days.
  • Options
    Nothing much shocks me about the prem these days.
    It started for me when Stoke payed more than some countries GDP for Kenwyn Jones.
  • Options
    It is utterly bonkers. Meanwhile Champ clubs spending has hit rock bottom on mainly freebies. Crazy just what a gulf there is between the 2 divisions.
  • Options
    The thing is, that for most clubs like us we know that we have a limit to what we can achieve unless we get a money breaking takeover.

We have a fantastic manager but with our current owners we know there is no chance of us getting back to where we were I.e mid table table in the prem with curbs.

Just a shame that the hope or at least possibility is fading for clubs on our level.
  • Options

It is utterly bonkers. Meanwhile Champ clubs spending has hit rock bottom on mainly freebies. Crazy just what a gulf there is between the 2 divisions.

Agreed. And I have absolutely no hankering for or desire to be back in the Prem. All those weird kick-off times for TV. All the neurotic froth whipped up by Sky. The fewer games - 38 compared to 46 is quite a big difference - so longer waits for my fix of football. The grim defeats. (Mind you, we had enough of those in the Champs last season.)

In almost 50 years of support, one of the seasons most enjoyable for me was 1980-81, when we were promoted from the old Third. Sure, the players had charisma in them days - Hales, Walshy, Nicky Johns, et al but I also liked being a big fish in a small pond, going to those games at Chester, Chesterfield, Colchester. We were feared all over the shop, a big team from the Smoke; their fans would sing "Hales is a wanker, Hales is a wanker, La-la-la-laaa" and I remember him at Saltergate on the half-way line swivelling and hammering a shot at the home end to shut them up, and it came back off the bar.

As someone said recently on another thread: "The best thing about the Prem is the promotion season that gets you there."

• Options
    I don't buy the view that I am happy to be playing in the Championship. I want my club to be playing the Man Us Chelsea etc. I want to see the Valley sold out every game. I want us to get all that lovely Sky money. I don't care that some of the fans will not be true Charlton fans and we will lose more than we win. I loved it the last time, turning over the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool etc.
  • Options
    Hate to say it but Palace are now our example. Good nucleus, few talented kids, motivating manager, good slice of Lady Luck. We have the first three in place. We need a Murray and Lady Luck. Easy peasy.
  • Options
    How much does a club like Southampton make from being in the PL? £12m transfers plus wages just to stay there, director bonuses etc no wonder teams struggle when they come down even with parachute payments
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hate to say it but Palace are now our example. Good nucleus, few talented kids, motivating manager, good slice of Lady Luck. We have the first three in place. We need a Murray and Lady Luck. Easy peasy.

Stadiums/fans/cheerleaders are still terrible though.
  • Options
    We don't need to worry about it.
  • Options
    The big difference between now and when we were there is that the TV money is now three times as much. If we'd been promoted last season we wouldn't know what to do with the £60m we'd have to spend.

Even without a rich benefactor we could easily spend £25m on two players, and if we only needed three or four new players we quite possibly would do.
  • Options
    I wonder how much we'd pay for a player of Marcus Bent & Darren Bent's quality if we got there , one cost 2.5 million and was pony , the other cost 3 million and was quality.
  • Options

The big difference between now and when we were there is that the TV money is now three times as much. If we'd been promoted last season we wouldn't know what to do with the £60m we'd have to spend.

Even without a rich benefactor we could easily spend £25m on two players, and if we only needed three or four new players we quite possibly would do.

I reckon nearly half of the £60m would need to be used to pay off the Director loans if we were promoted.
  • Options

I reckon nearly half of the £60m would need to be used to pay off the Director loans if we were promoted.
    I thought the Directors loans were 7 million , but hey that's only on Football Manager!

• Options

they dont get paid off all in one go, they just start to get paid off then. I'd rather have debt to former directors and supporters than to anyone else.
  • Options

Not crazy my friend, but contrived. They are obviously set on making it an exclusive Club where people like us are not really encouraged. Have a look at the football news in papers, and it is unusual to see Premiership Clubs looking at home grown players. You can't help but connect this to the poor performance of England. I hope that the Football League are capable of some creative thinking to combat the trend.
  • Options

How much does a club like Southampton make from being in the PL? £12m transfers plus wages just to stay there, director bonuses etc no wonder teams struggle when they come down even with parachute payments

With the new tv deal, a club will now earn £60m in tv money just for finishing bottom of the table. That's without ticket money, sponsorship etc. So they earn a lot. Plus Southampton still have the backing of the old owners money even though he's now dead.
  • Options
    There's a lot to be said for being a yo-yo club. You get the thrill of a promotion season every couple of years, you cop the TV money and the parachute payments. Too many seasons in the Prem, shuffling in the nether regions and losing more often than not, can become very disheartening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just seen that Swansea and Southampton paid a combined £25m on transfer fees alone for two players.
    Crazy times.

Southampton and Palace both went into administration a while back, with all debt cleared and probably owed some Football League clubs money. Now they're spending millions in the Premier League. There's something seriously wrong with that.
  • Options
    The sad things is: is the Premier League a better watch now than it was a decade or so ago? Certainly not for me.
  • Options
    Will end up like NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA, an exclusive club with no relegation promotion.
  • Options
    Wow...I've been going since 1989 and the Premier League years were the best by far. The Valley was rocking for so many games....awesome London derbys....beating Spurs home and away regularly....winning at Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Man City.......lord I'd have those days back in a heartbeat.
  • Options

Crazy times.

Southampton and Palace both went into administration a while back, with all debt cleared and probably owed some Football League clubs money. Now they're spending millions in the Premier League. There's something seriously wrong with that.
    This.

• Options
    Last season was the best opportunity for most Championship clubs to get into the Premier League, I think.

Look at the quality in the relegated clubs. They can sell a couple of players and bring in new players that most other Championship clubs can only dream of.

For the first time, I fully expect the three relegated clubs to get back up at the first attempt, barring a mishap in the play-off lottery.

And this trend will continue, I'm afraid.

The only solution would be a two-tier Premier League and that's probably bit very interesting to Scudamore and Co as it won't do anything to increase the value of the TV rights.

I hope I am wrong.
  • Options

Still the same shit team that was bottom at the end of September. Zaha is over-rated. Murray is still an average Championship Striker who gets lucky. Holloway is all talk. They will get too big for their boots and end up where we were 2 years ago.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    SuperYann said:

Still the same shit team that was bottom at the end of September. Zaha is over-rated. Murray is still an average Championship Striker who gets lucky. Holloway is all talk. They will get too big for their boots and end up where we were 2 years ago.
    They'll do well to stay up but as long as they don't over-commit this year they will be secure financially and ready to go again if relegated. They have a big opportunity to pick up some of the development threads no longer being followed up by Charlton and their club is owned by supporters who care about its future. The biggest problem they have - apart from being Palace - is the state of Selhurst Park.
  • Options
    The relegated teams may look strong, but don't forget they are coming from a season when they took a battering - they're used to losing and that culture can be difficult to shake off.
  • Options

Last season was the best opportunity for most Championship clubs to get into the Premier League, I think.

Look at the quality in the relegated clubs. They can sell a couple of players and bring in new players that most other Championship clubs can only dream of.

For the first time, I fully expect the three relegated clubs to get back up at the first attempt, barring a mishap in the play-off lottery.

And this trend will continue, I'm afraid.

The only solution would be a two-tier Premier League and that's probably bit very interesting to Scudamore and Co as it won't do anything to increase the value of the TV rights.

I hope I am wrong.

People have been saying that for a few years now, especially after news that there will be an increase in TV money for the Prem clubs. It hasn't happened yet.

To add to Saga Lout's point, if these teams come down and sign players on the decline like Blackburn did with Danny Murphy they'll find it tough at this level. I think poor managers and bad signings will mean at least one relegated club will fail to go straight back up.

And to give Blackburn as an example again, some of these clubs have owners that won't be happy if they're in a play-off spot come October. Managers will be replaced which doesn't always improve the situation.

Blackburn aren't even the worst, look at Wolves.