Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell is seriously deluded!

No not SCP, i mean the England womens boss, Hope Powell.

Hope Powell has said that in terms of technical ability, England's women could beat the men's national side.

The England football coach was speaking ahead of the 2013 Women's Euros competition in Sweden.

Asked whether the women's team could beat the men, she answered: "Absolutely, why not?

"I think physically the guys are obviously a lot stronger than the women, but if we took it on technical ability we're as good as the men."

She continued: "We'd give it a good go."

The former international player added: "Women's football is sometimes considered secondary.

"But the growth of the game means more people are interested in the game, and it's flourishing."

Now i'll accept the mens team aren't great right now but there is no way the women would get within 10 goals of them.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    "Women's football is sometimes considered secondary."

For a reason, they're shit.
  • Options

No not SCP, i mean the England womens boss, Hope Powell.

Hope Powell has said that in terms of technical ability, England's women could beat the men's national side.

The England football coach was speaking ahead of the 2013 Women's Euros competition in Sweden.

Asked whether the women's team could beat the men, she answered: "Absolutely, why not?

"I think physically the guys are obviously a lot stronger than the women, but if we took it on technical ability we're as good as the men."

She continued: "We'd give it a good go."

The former international player added: "Women's football is sometimes considered secondary.

"But the growth of the game means more people are interested in the game, and it's flourishing."

Now i'll accept the mens team aren't great right now but there is no way the women would get within 10 goals of them.

I'm not at all sexist, but they are nowhere near as technically good as the men's national side.

It's a silly question to even ask her anyway.
  • Options
    Tbqh women's football has come on massively in recent years from diabolically shit to just really shit!
  • Options
    Says it all that it's improved 10-fold and is still guff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ienZj9onV0Q

Feminists and those prone to climbing on high horses, do not watch.
  • Options
    I still reckon me and my mates would best them and we are early forties. Only their fitness would help them.
  • Options
    Person talking up their own sport shocker!

She's just trying to drum up a little press and get more viewers, nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    This sort of thing does women's football no favours whatsoever. Comparing it to men's football is utterly absurd. Irrespective of whether or not they are technically proficient (they are) they're not even close to being as proficient as even a semi-pro men's side. I'm willing to bet that Welling United could beat them wearing flip flops and carrying 20lb packs on their backs.
  • Options
    Anyone see the England vs Spain game? The england keeper scored an own goal after the ball hit her on the face and went in.
  • Options

Anyone see the England vs Spain game? The england keeper scored an own goal after the ball hit her on the face and went in.

youtube.com/watch?v=bf7k6bQVqJs

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was a daft question about beating the men's team, and probably a frivolous answer. There's no reason why wimmin's football shouldn't continue to exist on its own merits. The poet Philip Larkin once said he was never going to win Wimbledon, but that didn't stop him from playing tennis at the weekends.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Really enjoyed England v Spain last night. I don't think women's international football is shit at all. Technically very good at times. Still has far too many blatant errors throughout games but has come on a bomb in recent years particularly at international level.

I was unable to watch a full game 10 years ago but now i'm enjoying full games.. The french were very impressive. Long may their improvement continue.
  • Options
    RZA said:

Oh wow, that's pretty special.

It was a daft question about beating the men's team, and probably a frivolous answer. There's no reason why wimmin's football shouldn't continue to exist on its own merits. The poet Philip Larkin once said he was never going to win Wimbledon, but that didn't stop him from playing tennis at the weekends.

Provided it's on its own merits and not massively subsidised by the men's game then I tend to agree. I assume Philip Larkin didn't expect Novak Djokovic to subsidise his court fees ?
  • Options
    I watched the game last night v Spain and was very disapointed. When I've seen the women's team before, they have been much better than that. It would have been an injustice if they got a draw and the skill level (something that has steeply risen in the women's game) was painfully low.

It was funny when the commentators informed me England had been on top for a significant spell - they couldn't piece a move together when they got a sniff of the opponents goals.

Aluko was decent and then you are struggling. Fara Williams was beyond awful! They are as a team, clearly reliant on Kelly Smith.

What is it with women keepers? Is it a position they just can't hack or is it a coaching issue!
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Really enjoyed England v Spain last night. I don't think women's international football is shit at all. Technically very good at times. Still has far too many blatant errors throughout games but has come on a bomb in recent years particularly at international level.

I was unable to watch a full game 10 years ago but now i'm enjoying full games.. The french were very impressive. Long may their improvement continue.

I watched that too - having seen the occasional women's game over the years. I thought it was clear that the national team had taken a giant step backwards in recent years. The two full backs and, maybe Aluko, (why was she substituted?) being the only players who looked the part. While Jill Scott displayed a level of incompetence that made her look like the female version of Carlton Palmer.
    There has been very little by way of new blood coming into the team and players like Rachel Yankey are now just past it. The one true class act - Kelly Smith - is now nearly 35 and was missing from last night's team. There is no one to replace her it seems.
    In contrast, the Spanish team have clearly made great strides while our game has stagnated.
    In many respects, the England manageress (and the FA) must shoulder the blame for this. Okay, she has the coaching badges but I have long thought she was tactically inept. She has never managed a club team and her years in the national team job seem to have isolated her from the progress being made in the women's game.
    A poor showing by England in this tournament might have one positive if Hope Powell is either sacked or resigns allowing the FA to rethink how this job is performed and what additional resources need to be put into it.
    I have no idea what resources are available but a dedicated goalkeeping coach would seem to be a bare minimum requirement on last night's showing.
  • Options
    I was commenting on the women's game as a whole. England women seem to be stuck in the same place as every other level and age group.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The BBC, now that it has lost the majority of 'the men's game' is pumping a lot of resources into women's football. In my opinion, this is a waste of licence payers money. Women's football should stand on its own two feet. If the 'product' is good it will prosper, if not leave it as it should be, a pastime for ladies who like to play football and not to be taken seriously as a multi spectator sport.
  • Options
    Women's football is utter crap,it p1sses me off the amount of coverage it gets on the TV, when other sports deserve coverage. The tv companies wouldn't spend a fortune and show Sunday league football so why show this!
    Alli in the name of equality, only it's not even close to being equal!
  • Options
    Monkey tennis.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Goalkeeping is the position regardless of gender which in the lower leagues is capable of silly errors. The last two goals last night were in my opinion both saveable by the England keeper but let's not think it's gender related. She is an amateur.
    Women's football is a sport which some of us enjoy others don't. Personally I enjoy women's football bit there seems to be a dirth of talent and Hope Powell should have been sacked after the last world cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not done herself any favours with this comment. Leaves herself and her players open to ridicule.
  • Options
    The goalies are worse than the ones in the African Nations Cup, so that's saying something!

The speed of play is about a quarter of the men's, so it doesn't make it a very good spectacle to watch.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    se9addick said:

RZA said:

Oh wow, that's pretty special.

Provided it's on its own merits and not massively subsidised by the men's game then I tend to agree. I assume Philip Larkin didn't expect Novak Djokovic to subsidise his court fees ?
    That's a very good point - I hadn't thought of who pays for the wimmin's game. And the image of Djokovic paying Larkin's court fees is one he (L), being notoriously tight-fisted, would surely relish!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Kap10 said:

Goalkeeping is the position regardless of gender which in the lower leagues is capable of silly errors. The last two goals last night were in my opinion both saveable by the England keeper but let's not think it's gender related. She is an amateur.
    Women's football is a sport which some of us enjoy others don't. Personally I enjoy women's football bit there seems to be a dirth of talent and Hope Powell should have been sacked after the last world cup.

Trust me I've watched a lot of Kent league football and haven't seen goalkeeping that bad. They just don't have anywhere near the physical strength to throw their bodies around like that. They should make it something like 8 a side and make the goals and pitch a lot smaller. I think women's football could be quite popular if they go their own way with it and stop trying to imitate the men's game.

Old but relevant

http://youtu.be/nwx0Uv93o8k
  • Options
    Agree that it is a different sport from the mens game and should not be compared, Powell is stupid to try. Lets not go back to the kent league for crap keeping, Paul Robinson for England, Shaka Hislop for Newcastle against us, David Seaman v Brazil, Darren Randolph for us, the Brentford keeper in the play off semi final (Even if he was 3rd choice), most scottish keepers allegedly, Ray Clemence v Scotland, Robert Green v USA.

That said I think the womens game to be offended by the ideas of a slightly smaller pitch and goal is wrong.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Agree that it is a different sport from the mens game and should not be compared, Powell is stupid to try. Lets not go back to the kent league for crap keeping, Paul Robinson for England, Shaka Hislop for Newcastle against us, David Seaman v Brazil, Darren Randolph for us, the Brentford keeper in the play off semi final (Even if he was 3rd choice), most scottish keepers allegedly, Ray Clemence v Scotland, Robert Green v USA.

That said I think the womens game to be offended by the ideas of a slightly smaller pitch and goal is wrong.

But you're picking out examples of spectacularly bad goalkeeping which are memorable in the men's game because 'keeping of this quality is incredibly rare, particularly at the higher levels (we're talking about international women's football - that keeper that had the ball hit her face was the the cream of the crop in this country). Overall the quality of women's football is poor but specifically the standard of goalkeeping is absolutely appalling.
  • Options

Monkey tennis.

+1

State sponsored political correctness - defiant in the face of reality to the last penny of our licence fee. Agree with the title of the thread....
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Kap10 said:

But you're picking out examples of spectacularly bad goalkeeping which are memorable in the men's game because 'keeping of this quality is incredibly rare, particularly at the higher levels (we're talking about international women's football - that keeper that had the ball hit her face was the the cream of the crop in this country). Overall the quality of women's football is poor but specifically the standard of goalkeeping is absolutely appalling.
    I suppose where we disagre, and I have agreed many of your points, is that spectacularly bad keeping happens all through the leagues. As a follower of Hamlet I've seen as bad errors. Yes the England women's goalkeeper is the elite in her field but it remains a young sport that remains amateur.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    If I had been in goal at my age, for either England or Spain, the game would have been lower scoring. I'm not bragging - seriously and honestly - most men who saw the game could probably say the same. Mind you , I'd make a very ugly woman!!!!

I know I would have saved Englands 2nd and Spain's third, and suspect I might have saved Spain's first.
  • Options

Monkey tennis.

+1

State sponsored political correctness - defiant in the face of reality to the last penny of our licence fee. Agree with the title of the thread....
    I think that's a little harsh. Yes it's poor and the comparisons to the men's game are laughable but women have every right to play the game we love as the men do.

If they need a little financial gift along the way to getting young girls into the sport then I think that's fine.