Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sharknado

WSSWSS
edited July 2013 in Not Sports Related
Yes, money was really spent on making this film. Seems like it caused a bit of a cult sensation in the US when it aired this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsqFR5bh6Q&sns=em

Comments

• Options
    Realy!
    Jaws its not
  • Options
    I thought it said Shark Nando. was going to try one
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hollywood continuing to find the bottom of the barrel.

Got to have been dreamed up by a committee this one, the "developing film ideas around sharks" team (hopelessly under employed since sharks went out of fashion with the Jaws franchise), met up with a newly formed "jump on the bandwagon with tornadoes team" at the water cooler and hey presto.
  • Options
    The thing is, is that it has some recognisable faces in it.

I bet it gets some following as well, much like Snakes on a Plane
  • Options

Hollywood continuing to find the bottom of the barrel.

Got to have been dreamed up by a committee this one, the "developing film ideas around sharks" team (hopelessly under employed since sharks went out of fashion with the Jaws franchise), met up with a newly formed "jump on the bandwagon with tornadoes team" at the water cooler and hey presto.

Nothing to do with Hollywood! Asylum is basically dedicated totally and entirely to making terrible movies at the cheapest price and just chucking them out there. Which is a bit like Hollywood to be fair, but Asylum basically TRIES to make deliberately bad movies on the basis of their awfulness being their selling point.... or so I heard.
  • Options
    Looks good...............;-)
  • Options
    still better than Daylight Robbery... sorry superclive..
  • Options
    I know a couple of people who work there - the way they make the films is they come up with the title first and design the movie poster - then write the "script" from there.

It's all done to be as viral and talked about as possible, quality isn't really the point, they're modern day B-movies.

Also they rarely/never get theatrical releases, their movies always go straight to netflix or cable (in Sharknado's case SyFy)

Asylum churn out dozens of movies a year and work their teams ridiculously hard. Some memorable releases from recent years that typify the "come up with the name before anything else" approach include "Nazi's at the Center of the Earth", "Mega Shark versus Giant Octopus", "Snakes on a Train" (yes train, and nothing to do with the plane movie!) and possibly the absolutely genius "Titanic 2"....

Sharknado appears to have been the most successful yet, the whole world is talking about it - and yes, the sequel is being talked about already...!
  • Options

Can someone from Asylum look at this. I've been waiting years.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5_EqGKvQvI

Quality moment
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I thought it said Shark Nando. was going to try one

It's a like a Filet-O-Fish but with a bit more bite.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "It's time to leave Kansas" - what a brilliant line!
    24/7 - it's always the right time to leave Kansas!
  • Options
    I can see the appeal in such films. I do like the occasional braindead so-bad-it's-good movie and there now appears to be a market for it. The merits of 'The Room' I have been arguing about quite heatedly of late.

It's not really Hollywood at its worst, that would be stuff like Scary Movie 18 or Fast & The Furious 29. These flicks provide a nonsensical alternative and cheap laugh, plus you don't get them shoved down your throats incessantly.
  • Options
    "We're gonna need a bigger chopper" !
    Watched this on Syfy, total trash.
    I loved it.
  • Options

"We're gonna need a bigger chopper" !
    Watched this on Syfy, total trash.
    I loved it.

It's so terrible it's worth watching. God knows what Sharknado 2 is going to bring !
  • Options
    Quality movie ;)
  • Options
    So bad! I have not had such a good laugh in ages - worth it for a laugh.
  • Options
    Currently watching ghost shark..
  • Options
    The state of Tara Reid has put me off drugs. The end was worth the entry fee...
  • Options
    Im waiting to see Sandshark staring Brooke Hogan.... Just when you thought you was safe out of the water
  • Options
    Its not just cheaply done its also badly done, brilliant stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was another one on starring Michael madsen that was about a cross between piranha and anaconda. Distressing stuff, not least because piranhas aren't actually aggressive to people.
  • Options

There was another one on starring Michael madsen that was about a cross between piranha and anaconda. Distressing stuff, not least because piranhas aren't actually aggressive to people.

Ha ha, you choose not to highlight the many very strange things about a plot where a snake and a fish mate, but instead point out that piranhas wouldn't in fact eat people!
    I image you didn't like sharknado because a shark really would eat a person whole!
  • Options

still better than Daylight Robbery... sorry superclive..

OI!!!!!!

• Options

Currently watching ghost shark..

Selling that one for a label!

• Options

I know a couple of people who work there - the way they make the films is they come up with the title first and design the movie poster - then write the "script" from there.

It's all done to be as viral and talked about as possible, quality isn't really the point, they're modern day B-movies.

Also they rarely/never get theatrical releases, their movies always go straight to netflix or cable (in Sharknado's case SyFy)

Asylum churn out dozens of movies a year and work their teams ridiculously hard. Some memorable releases from recent years that typify the "come up with the name before anything else" approach include "Nazi's at the Center of the Earth", "Mega Shark versus Giant Octopus", "Snakes on a Train" (yes train, and nothing to do with the plane movie!) and possibly the absolutely genius "Titanic 2"....

Sharknado appears to have been the most successful yet, the whole world is talking about it - and yes, the sequel is being talked about already...!

The guys at The Asylum are good guys - they have built a very successful business, doing what they do best! The other breakout one they had was "Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus" and a friend of mine released "2012 Doomsday" which has sold over 250,000 units in the UK!