Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gay Powell fails drugs tests

The drugs do work, 3 of 4 fastest men ever have been caught drug taking. Got to question Usain but his value to the sport would make him being caught before he retires a shock of epic proportions.

Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell: Olympic sprinters fail drug tests

US sprinter Tyson Gay and Jamaica's former 100m world record holder Asafa Powell have failed drug tests.
Gay, 30, the joint-second fastest man over 100m, was notified by the US Anti-Doping Agency on Friday that his A sample from an out-of-competition test in May had returned a positive.
The management company for Powell confirmed he had tested positive for a banned substance.
World's fastest 100m runners
Usain Bolt (Jam) - 9.58 secs
Tyson Gay (USA) - 9.69 secs
Yohan Blake (Jam) - 9.69 secs
Asafa Powell (Jam) - 9.72 secs
Another Jamaican sprinter, Sherone Simpson, has also failed a drug test.
The Olympic 4x100m relay silver medallist said on Sunday she had tested positive for a stimulant at last month's national championships.
Powell and Simpson's doping positives come a month after Jamaican Olympic champion Veronica Campbell-Brown tested positive for a banned diuretic.
The 30-year-old Powell was the last man to hold the individual 100m record before compatriot Usain Bolt broke it in 2008. He is still the fourth fastest man of all time.
Powell later helped Jamaica to win 400m relay gold at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Gay, the fastest man in 2013, is waiting for the results of his 'B' sample.
He has already withdrawn from next month's World Championships in Moscow.
"I don't have a sabotage story... I basically put my trust in someone and was let down," he said.
"I know exactly what went on, but I can't discuss it right now.
"I hope I am able to run again, but I will take whatever punishment I get like a man."

Comments

• Options
    I find it hard to trust sprinters, cyclists, weightlifters... There must be some who are properly clean
  • Options
    Would be gutted if Bolt was found to have cheated.
  • Options

3 of 4 fastest men ever have been caught drug taking.

Has Blake been caught as well then? Not trying to be facetious, just want to check I haven't missed something.

Funny how they always blame someone else for what's entered their body. I understand they rely on teams of people but surely when it can effectively end your career and ruin your reputation they have a responsibility to themselves to know about everything they are taking from diet supplements to cold remedies.
  • Options
    Was worried Chris Powell had been caught taking poppers.
  • Options

3 of 4 fastest men ever have been caught drug taking.

Has Blake been caught as well then? Not trying to be facetious, just want to check I haven't missed something.

Funny how they always blame someone else for what's entered their body. I understand they rely on teams of people but surely when it can effectively end your career and ruin your reputation they have a responsibility to themselves to know about everything they are taking from diet supplements to cold remedies.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/sep/15/jamaica-athletes-banned-drug

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/12/bernstein-usain-bolt-is-probably-doping-and-you-know-it/

• Options
    It amazes me that people are surprised by this, Pro sport is riddled with performance enhancers. Olympic medals have been won and lost with drugs since the cold war era.

I would bet that a large number of the public's favourite champions have had doping scandals covered up , and those who have been exposed have simply fallen foul of sponsors and organisations e.g Lance Armstrong. Lets not forget Carl Lewis failed a drug test and was banned from competing in the 1988 games until they created the phrase "inadvertent use".

I personally believe that Bolt is clean, I think he is just a genetic freak with insane raw talent. But it's really about time the IOC stopped playing dumb to what is happening
  • Options
    Jamaican and American athletes taking performance enhancing drugs? .. as Cilla would 'ave it .. 'Surprise Surprise' !!!!!! .. however is your headline suggesting that Asafa is a homosexual ?
  • Options
    Not suprised, but hugely disappointed with this. Particularly with Gay. He is a very popular and seen as trustable athlete, so again it blows everything open.

Spent last night catching up with all the UK championship action and there were some really promising performances. Then flick on the news after and saw this. So damaging to the sport.

If Bolt was ever proven, I dread to think what it would do to the sport.

• Options
    Bolt is the only man to have run faster than 9.84 who hasn't failed a drugs test or been implicated with drugs.
    The other 8 men include 7 who have failed a drugs test, (Tyson Gay, Yohan Blake, Asafa Powell, Nesta Carter, Justin Gatlin, Ben Johnson and Steve Mullings) and Maurice Greene who has been implicated.
    Bolt has run 9.58. Hmmmmmm