Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Guess the ground

Comments

• Options
    Richard J said:

1. Cardiff the old Ninian Park ?

Correct

Only number 6 left
  • Options
    6 Celtic
  • Options

6 Celtic

Changed my mind Hampden Park

• Options

6 Celtic

See the clue "Charlton have played league football at both grounds." and you may wish to change it again.

• Options
    6. Odsal Stadium - Bradford City
  • Options
    Guessing now.

Vicarage road
  • Options

Correct, we played there in 1986.
  • Options
    Port Vale.
  • Options

Yep, I think you are right.
  • Options
    Fantastic photos! What would 'elf and safety have to say about numbers 1 to 3? Brilliant. What's the source? Are they reproduced in a book that's still in print?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

6 Celtic

See the clue "Charlton have played league football at both grounds." and you may wish to change it again.

No, I'll just read the thread better next time!

• Options

Fantastic photos! What would 'elf and safety have to say about numbers 1 to 3? Brilliant. What's the source? Are they reproduced in a book that's still in print?

I think even years ago people were worried about health & safety regarding the ground in the third picture. People were injured when some of the terracing collapsed, and a hole also appeared near a corner flag. Pictures from different sites. The game at Highbury under the lights is against Rangers in the '50's.

• Options
    So who on here went to the game at Odsal?

I believe it was a 2-1 win on a tuesday night.
  • Options
    Thanks, Henry - I've got the second edition of Inglis, 1987. Great stuff.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Addickted said:

I didn't make it to the Sod-All Stadium, unfortunately. The records prove you are right: 19 March 1986, won 2-1 (Pearson, Flanagan), att. 5,645.

The stadium holds the British record for a Rugby League match - 1954, Warrington v Halifax, Challenge Cup Final replay, att. a whopping 102,569.

• Options
    Wow to 1 and 3! Too young to remember terracing so my experience is Welling!!

They give a great idea of what it must have been like.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

i remember clambering down a mud bank at the back of the stand. Good fun evening and a result. Memories!!!

• Options

Addickted said:

i remember clambering down a mud bank at the back of the stand. Good fun evening and a result. Memories!!!

Ah, now you've got me going, P-e-P. From the photo, I wouldn't have got Odsal in a million years. (Incidentally, look at the way the turf intrudes on the track; very strange.) I wondered about Bristol Rovers at Eastville, with the dog track round the pitch. I was there in November 1978 for our 5-5 draw (Robinson 2, Flanagan 2, Tydeman). Anyone else on here quite as old as me?

• Options
    Addickted said:

Yes, I was there, went by coach. From memory, we went one up they equalised and flash got a late winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A very strange aspect of that 5-5 draw at Eastville: it was still 0-0 after about 20 mins, and all 10 goals had been scored by about the 70th. Happy days....
  • Options
    I also think it may have been a re-arranged game from the Christmas/new year period.
  • Options
    Barnsley ?
  • Options

Thanks, Henry - I've got the second edition of Inglis, 1987. Great stuff.

Add Engineering Archie to your list (don't read it as a book, as it could become a bit repetitive, but as a collection of short stories).

Wow to 1 and 3! Too young to remember terracing so my experience is Welling!!

They give a great idea of what it must have been like.

Can still stand on the terraces shown in picture 6.

Addickted said:

Ah, now you've got me going, P-e-P. From the photo, I wouldn't have got Odsal in a million years. (Incidentally, look at the way the turf intrudes on the track; very strange.) I wondered about Bristol Rovers at Eastville, with the dog track round the pitch. I was there in November 1978 for our 5-5 draw (Robinson 2, Flanagan 2, Tydeman). Anyone else on here quite as old as me?

The ground was designed to be used as a rugby league ground but they also did speedway there. I suspect the turf may go onto to the track due to the differing dimentions of rugby and football pitches. The terraces at Eastville were smaller than those in picture 6.
  • Options
    Speaking of tracks around the pitch - I seem to remember a mate of mine seeing Palace (sorry about that) at Halifax in the dim and distant past, when at the final whistle he noticed there were more people entering the ground than there were leaving. What the hell was going on? They were coming to watch the speedway!
  • Options
    Thanks, Sheffield, will certainly look out for 'Engineering Archie'. Cheapest secondhand price on Amazon and Abebooks is £35.
  • Options
    White City stadium opened in 1908 .. one time Olympic venue and 'state of the art' stadium in its time had an athletics track and greyhound racing track around the grassed area. QPR had two bites at moving there, in the 1930s and then again in the early 1960s. The stadium has now been demolished
  • Options

Thanks, Sheffield, will certainly look out for 'Engineering Archie'. Cheapest secondhand price on Amazon and Abebooks is £35.

You can have my signed copy for £200 : - )

All the books in the series are excellent.

• Options
    Archie was of course the architect responsible for designing The Den .. but I'm sure stalwart CLers will forgive him for that
  • Options

You can have my signed copy for £200 : - )

All the books in the series are excellent.

Thanks, Henry - I'll start saving! Another odd thing about Eastville is that an elevated section of the M32 was built so close that it almost cut the corner of the ground. Passing motorists would actually slow down to cop a piece of the action. After that extraordinary draw I walked to the Fox, one of a handful of pubs around the country that Camra owned: a short-lived experiment. Goodness me, that was 35 years ago!