Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parachute Payments

I understand that without them any team relegated from the Premiership would be in serious financial trouble pretty quickly. Players wages in the premier league are just not sustainable in the Championship. However, surely the intention of the parachute payment is to cover players wages until they can be sold or made to sign smaller contracts.

This is why I get incresingly frustrated when you see relegated teams using the this money to bid 5m+ for players. QPR look likely to get Gary Hooper and last year Blackburn bid 8m for Jordon Rhodes. They are clearly using this extra cash to get an unfair advantage.

So either the parachute payments are too big or we need a fairer way of managing club finances during relegation. I'd go for a wage cap. All players in the Premier League must have written into their contract a clause that says their salary is capped at 10k/week upon relegation. It's still silly money to most of us, but is certainly a lot more managable than the 60k/week QPR will have to pay Jose Bosingwa.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Isn't this exactly what the league were asking for? But the premierleague basically said... you want any TV money, you do things our way?
  • edited July 2013
    Parachute payments make any difference to QPR . While Harry is there ( and he doesn't want to be) they wont be going anywhere.
  • Taking it to the extreme, there's a good case for saying Prem clubs should plan and budget for the possibility of relegation - I mean, they get enough TV dosh when they're up there. That would avoid the current unfair situation where failure is rewarded and the Champs is turned into an unlevel playing field.

As an aside, I think I read somewhere that Oyston at Blackpool has publicly said he personally is going to trouser this year's tranche of parachute payments. How about that!
  • Taking it to the extreme, there's a good case for saying Prem clubs should plan and budget for the possibility of relegation - I mean, they get enough TV dosh when they're up there. That would avoid the current unfair situation where failure is rewarded and the Champs is turned into an unlevel playing field.

As an aside, I think I read somewhere that Oyston at Blackpool has publicly said he personally is going to trouser this year's tranche of parachute payments. How about that!

Presumably he's spent lots to keep the club going over the past few years .. now he intends to recoup some of it .. why not .. good luck to him
  • edited July 2013
    I'm sure these arguments have been done to death on other threads.

It is how it is and those that would have to vote to change it would have to pay for it so it will not happen.
  • I'm with you North West, its disgusting
  • Apparently July is near the end if the consultation period hmgov put our for ways to legislate better governance of the game

On the another thread we've mentioned beefing up the localism act to include relocation perhaps

How about mandatory relegation clauses

Some way of restricting the allocation of parachute payments to clubs outside the league concerned so that they are controlled by the football league instead. Should the premier league be able to reward clubs outside its members

Anything else like mandatory fan ownership of some kind?