Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Not your usual holidays

Apologies if there's already a thread about this but I'm looking to book somewhere different for next year. Not your usual Spain, Greece, Cyprus etc
Any recommendations/stories?

Comments

• Options
    Barbados. Might not be different enough for you, but plenty of culture, very friendly locals and guaranteed sun. Not just another beach holiday.
  • Options
    Main criteria agim ?
  • Options
    What sort of thing are you after? Adventure sports, wildlife, history, culture? How long for, how far are you prepared to fly, what sort of budget, etc etc?

I really want to leave my job, can't find anything else and could bugger off to Madagascar for a while. I am thinking about it more and more but would come back jobless and broke. It's on my bucket list but will have to wait until I can justify it more so.
  • Options
    Cheers guys. Just fancy something a bit different really. Has anyone ever been to Croatia? South Africa and Thailand interest me too.
    Looking for a nice hotel but with lots to do and experience.
  • Options
    agim said:

Apologies if there's already a thread about this but I'm looking to book somewhere different for next year. Not your usual Spain, Greece, Cyprus etc
    Any recommendations/stories?

Croatian coast is nice with the bonus that the as yet still relatively 'undiscovered' Slovenian mountains are easily accessible in the north. Croatia has a long and varied coastline, Dubrovnik, Split, \Zadar, Biograd .. very nice. Go soon as Croatia recently joined the EEC and pretty soon the economy will be buggered (only jesting)
  • Options
    I've only been to Zagreb, liked it. Have always heard good things about Dubrovnik and Split on the coast. Depending where you go in Thailand it can be the same as many European beach resorts only with different food.

South Africa could be an idea and a good chance to mix beaches up with scenery and other activities. Say you go on safari as well you can book yourself into high standard hotels with some good relaxation time.

I'd also consider Brazil if you don't mind spending a bit. Rio's awesome then you have some real pristine, quiet coastline a (few hours on a) coach away.
  • Options
    We went to Cape Town last year and then drove along the garden route and then went to Gomo Gomo on safari. Was fantastic.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Slovenia is lovely - went to Bled (staying on Lake Bled) and Ljubljana. Can do a good trekking day from Bled to visit springs, lakes, mountains etc.
  • Options
    I hitchhiked from London to Zagreb. Excellent place - but maybe suited towards a weekend break. Split is very nice and isnt short of a few beautiful islands for you to explore
  • Options
    Mate of mine went to Ghana a few years back. Certainly fits into the "different" category.

Mind you, he did get grief off (our) Customs when he came back early.

"Why have you come back early?"

"Because its shit!"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Depends on what you mean by things to do...I did the same as Kimbo says above, Cape Town & Garden Route (although i didn't safari), would definately recommend and given no time difference it is an easy country to travel to as well. Scenary is great, food is good, wine is excellent.

My fav ever holiday was a safari in Tanzania...would massively recommend that if you have the pennies and the inclination and also recommend the company we booked with - africatravelresource.com

Otherwise for great outdoors/scenary then if you are fit enough a hike through the Alps (Mont Blanc tour) is just excellent.

• Options
    Devon
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Devon

There are stranger people and customs in Devon than in the Amazon rain forest...so good on you sir.

• Options
    I've been to Croatia. Zadar and along the coast. It's very nice and still reasonably affordable. As somebody said above though, think it maybe more of a good weekend / short break place than a longer holiday.
  • Options
    Fly into Calgary & meander your way through the Rocky Mountains to Vancouver...cracking holiday through majestic mountains, vineyards, deserts & book-ended by two fascinating cities.
  • Options
    Borneo

Rainforests galore

Or maybe Galápagos Islands
  • Options
    Namibia. Great country to visit with a wide variation of scenery and some contrasting beaches.

Mexico, but get away from Cancun etc.

Agree about Borneo. Go before the whole place is taken over by palm oil plantations.

Zimbabwe. Not many tourists now so very cheap. Speaking to a Zimbabwean a couple of weeks ago he said that the tourists areas are still fine to visit and basically unaffected by the Mugabe-driven troubles.

Thailand's not exactly "something different" as it has been very much part of the European tourist trail for many years and many of it's beach areas and cities are far too over-developed now.
  • Options
    class="Quote" rel="Oakster">Fly into Calgary & meander your way through the Rocky Mountains to Vancouver...cracking holiday through majestic mountains, vineyards, deserts & book-ended by two fascinating cities.
    Absolutely agree best holiday ever, but stop off at grizzly bear ranch for 4 days. Best 4 days of my life.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Mate of mine went to Ghana a few years back. Certainly fits into the "different" category.

Mind you, he did get grief off (our) Customs when he came back early.

"Why have you come back early?"

"Because its shit!"

We have just had a conference in Ghana Thankfully i did not go, colleagues lost 10lb in weight due to stomach problems. So shit on more ways than one.

• Options
    Planning a trip to Laos/Cambodia in early October.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Peru - Machu Pichu etc
  • Options
    Fly into singapore and take the train upto vietnam.
  • Options
    Canada or Sweden.

British Columbia and Alberta are fantastic provinces to visit for a variety of different reasons.

Went on a ferry to Sweden, beautiful country, friendly people, great food and not spoilt.
  • Options

Fly into singapore and take the train upto vietnam.

True Charlton fan, getting the train involved!

Trans-Mongolian railway?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Macronate said:

Canada or Sweden.

British Columbia and Alberta are fantastic provinces to visit for a variety of different reasons.

Went on a ferry to Sweden, beautiful country, friendly people, great food and not spoilt.

seconded ... BUT .. you and a trillion man eating mosquitoes can't be wrong .. in summer the beautiful lakes are riddled with the things
  • Options
    Why not Cambodia. (Can Fly or bus from Bangkok to Siem Reap) where you have the temples of Ankor.
    From there you can Fly or bus to Phnom Penh (the capital) from which your only a few hours from the coast (Bokor or Sihanokville).
  • Options
    Finland. Then catch the train to St. Petersburg for a couple of days. Then back to Helsinki and get the ferry over to Estonia.
  • Options
    Another vote here for Cambodia.

Also how about Kerala in India!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    agim said:

Cheers guys. Just fancy something a bit different really. Has anyone ever been to Croatia? South Africa and Thailand interest me too.
    Looking for a nice hotel but with lots to do and experience.

Done South Africa mate, went to Sun City and the Kruger National Park. Good value for money as the pound is generally strong against the Rand making things very cheap for us. Sun City great fun.

Would recommend Oman. Wonderful country and very liberal in comparison to other Muslim countries. People are friendly, it's very safe, the history and culture is just mind blowing and the hotels in Muscat along the Gulf of Oman match anything in the Caribbean, they are simply stunning as is the sea/beach/coast. All the top hotels have bars serving alcohol and the food is excellent. Don't be put off by the fact it's in the middle-east. Check it out on line, have a look at the Shangri-La resort (same company with hotel in the Shard), the Grand Hyatt or the Inter-Continental, all in Muscat.

Failing that it would be Canada every time for me. Either side, East or West. West would be my preference though, taking in Vancouver, Whistler, Banff, Jasper, but on the (mid) East you of course have Niagara and Toronto. Drove from Jasper to Banff on the Ice-Fields Parkway, wonderful. Both towns, although 'touristy' are incredible, summer or winter, and for me, Vancouver is the best city in the world.