Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC - Saville

£5 million spent. Nobody sacked or held to account.

Top executives getting bigger payouts to leave than they were entitled to.

Breathtaking.

Comments

• Options
    Pisstaking.
  • Options
    Only in Britain would it cost £5m for such an "enquiry".
  • Options
    Typical
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I suspect they felt they needed to be seen spending that much on 3 enquires to show they were taking the issues seriously.

• Options
    se9addick said:

exactly. How can it cost £5m? Legal fees ok I can understand but the rest?

• Options
    Take it from his estate.
  • Options

Take it from his estate.

This
  • Options
    A justification for huge fat cat salaries used to be that the buck stopped with these people, but recent times have shown that is clearly not the case. If they resign they get massive pay offs and it is an elite look after yourselves and screw everybody else club.

You shouldn’t need an enquiry to realise that in the Saville case, there was an ineptitude beyond belief at the top and a culture of sweeping things under the carpet.
  • Options
    The BBC has become Britain's answer to the arrogant, never wrong EEC .. a super smooth non lumpy gravy train cum band wagon .. it's still a very good broadcaster though .. for the most part
  • Options
    Surely under the freedom of information act, the information should be available as to exactly how £5m was spent? I guess a lot on fat greedy lawyers at £500 an hour, but still an extraordinary amount. Especially, as Offy says, for a whitewash...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The BBC has become Britain's answer to the arrogant, never wrong EEC .. a super smooth non lumpy gravy train cum band wagon .. it's still a very good broadcaster though .. for the most part

Was agreeing with you for once up until the bit about it being a good broadcaster
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Was agreeing with you for once up until the bit about it being a good broadcaster
    LOL...
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

i do agree about the money spent is absurd, and the leaving salary, or in some cases pay offs for going to another job, outrageous?
    Patten only justifiaction was that a public enquiry would have been more expensive?
    But that affects only the top of the tree in management. Anyone want to compare city bonuses, bankers, lawyers etc.......
    Re the programmes: still think it is the best broadcaster for it's diversity and range of programmes, name another PSB.
    anywhere in the world? ..... French TV Rob..... now that is poor?......piss poor.
  • Options

se9addick said:

exactly. How can it cost £5m? Legal fees ok I can understand but the rest?

It's a bit misleading. It includes the £2.8m spent on the original Newsnight investigation, and the remainder will include the subsequent investigative journalism costs as well as operational expenditure on the internal investigation (i.e. mostly the time of existing BBC employees).
  • Options
    Why would you compare these people to bankers Ken?

Whether you agree with the salaries or not, you still have a CHOICE about which lawyer you use, or who you bank with and there are plenty of options.

Even if you don't watch their programmes you still have to give the BBC money. No choice whatsoever - so they need to be more accountable than any other ordinary business.

And for the record I have traditionally been a supporter of Aunty Beeb as a result of some of the top quality programmes they can produce (though that's far from the norm).

However, on this occasion there is no defending the indefensible.
  • Options

cum band wagon

What an image
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Why would you compare these people to bankers Ken?

Whether you agree with the salaries or not, you still have a CHOICE about which lawyer you use, or who you bank with and there are plenty of options.

Even if you don't watch their programmes you still have to give the BBC money. No choice whatsoever - so they need to be more accountable than any other ordinary business.

And for the record I have traditionally been a supporter of Aunty Beeb as a result of some of the top quality programmes they can produce (though that's far from the norm).

However, on this occasion there is no defending the indefensible.

Did the taxpayer not bail out the banks off it..... for taking the 'risks' then when it all went wrong came cap in hand to the goverment i.e. us to bail them out...... the same way as the licence fee payer pays for the funding of the public service broadcasting, and the ridiculous salaries that the DG and his 400 senior managers seem to think is the 'market medeem' which was the phrase that the previous DG Thompson justified the increase in upper management when I was there. The whole move to Salford, and the vast overspend on the new BH while empty buildings lay idle are a bigger outrage to me. And lawyers? try and get a QC, or Carter Ruck and co unless you are on legal aid or a rich person?
    Anyway off it, the amount of times you have watched Zulu, you have had your monies worth surely.......
    Dead Zulu's do not come cheap these days!
  • Options
    I use to do a lot of pest control in BBC buildings, including White City and also quite a few completely unoccupied buildings. The first that springs to mind is the tower block above Ealing Broadway train station, all empty and all BBC.
  • Options
    bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23355531

Since we are talking about Sir Jimmy again. Plenty more of this story to come out I reckon.