Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How different is Charlton from other Championship clubs?

I tend to refrain from posting on the threads which cover goings on at The Valley. This is mainly because there is not much to add - those in the know seem to know some bad things and those who point at the results and lack of sales say all is well. I guess I am neither glass half full or glass half empty - I am somewhere in between!!!

What does interest me though is the feeling that most clubs in the Championship are in the same boat. Little money to splash, looking for bargains, cutting out waste.

As again stated in other posts, it seems that the whole structure of football means that at some stage it could collapse like a house of cards. That's my doom and gloom position, I guess.

The current regime may be malevolent or maybe taking us slowly upwards depending on your viewpoint but the whole financing of football below the Premier League looks dodgy. I see all 24 Championship clubs as vulnerable.

If there's a glimmer of hope it is that the new financial requirements really do bite. It might mean that we go back to the 1960s when you had a first team squad of about 13 rather than the minimum of 22 we all expect now but if it is the same for all, so be it.

I just wonder whether the forums of every club are doom and gloom at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    Professional Football has become a huge bubble which will eventually burst or implode leaving only the very rich clubs floating on the surface and prospering, excuse the muddled metaphors. Other, smaller clubs will find a level at which they can all survive with much reduced player expenses but perhaps more local involvement as these clubs return perhaps to their roots in the communities from which they sprung.
    In the meantime, enjoy watching national/Europe/World wide football, if you can still afford it.