Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The life and times of an Addick

G'day
My name is Alan and I am an Addick.
This is my story (well, a part of it).

In a single week in September 1985 I received the second yellow card from my missus, the company I worked for was put up for sale by its parent company, and Charlton moved away to SE25. Oh, and a young, inexperienced but highly capable manager had cheaply assembled a talented Charlton side that despite the trauma of exile gained promotion that season.

This very morning there is rumbling disquiet about Charlton's prospects as a club, the company I work for (owned by my personal partner) is passing through critical (hopefully not terminal) times, and I am about to tell my partner that our 20-year relationship must come to an end - I will be leaving her and Holland behind to return to the tribal homelands of Lansdowne Lane. My health is slowly deteriorating and this may be the last summer that I have much mobility. Oh, and a young, inexperienced but highly capable manager has cheaply assembled a talented Charlton side that .... could surprise us all.

Was it Del Boy who said "it's deja-vu all over again"? Well, despite everything we're still here and we're still giving it a shot, aren't we, aren't we though.

Over the years for every Hulyer we've seen a Murray. For every Dowie, every Mullery we've seen a Lawrence, a Seed or a Curbishley, for every Bent (M) a Bent (D). We will survive, and more than survive - we will duly prosper.

Undoubtedly the distinguished owners of our club will, if only in their enlightened financial self-interest, try to avoid the disembowelling of what still remains a significant and resilient sporting enterprise, and in due course (better sooner rather than later) find acceptable new investors. It will happen. (Just where is the Nigerian chieftain when you want one?)

Charlton has been a constant thread in my life in so many ways that I would hesitate to try and explain it all to a sane audience - as a single example, if I said that I too had had an Adrian moment on the Fylde coast, where else but on here would there be many who would instantly understand ?

Concerning CL, these pages are full of earnest, sincere, forthright, articulate - and subjective - opinions. Usually the discussions are entertaining, informative and refreshing but at times like the present they can become oppressive and self-indulgent. I value the breadth and insight of most of what appears on here but sometimes a degree of perspective and restraint would come as a welcome relief.

I'm looking forward so much to a return to SE7. It may be overcast and thundery today but brighter days will soon be here, of that I'm sure.

COYA

As a PS - I don't know if there has been any recent word of March51 but I hope the young man is on the mend.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome home GFH
  • Options
    Could you not bring your partner back with you?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Could you not bring your partner back with you?

She's Dutch, and will stay in NL to continue with her business. Sadly our days together are numbered, and my best hope is that we can stay some kind of friends.
  • Options
    Yes, sorry to hear about your upheavals, GHF - but welcome home! I must admit I don't get the "Adrian moment on the Fylde coast" - but I trust all will be explained in your extensive and detailed memoirs of supporting the Addicks. How's the writing coming along, and have you found a publisher yet...?
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Yes, sorry to hear about your upheavals, GHF - but welcome home! I must admit I don't get the "Adrian moment on the Fylde coast" - but I trust all will be explained in your extensive and detailed memoirs of supporting the Addicks. How's the writing coming along, and have you found a publisher yet...?

To try and cut a long story short Adrian, another poster on here, posted his dilemma of whether or not to try and trace an old flame when we were away at Blackpool a year or two ago.

Needless to say he received plenty of "constructive" advice and the thread duly entered Charlton Life legend.

Welcome back GHF and please continue to pursue the memoirs and post them on here.
  • Options
    Adrian and Ketmans love life still bring tears to my eyes
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

To try and cut a long story short Adrian, another poster on here, posted his dilemma of whether or not to try and trace an old flame when we were away at Blackpool a year or two ago.

Needless to say he received plenty of "constructive" advice and the thread duly entered Charlton Life legend.

Welcome back GHF and please continue to pursue the memoirs and post them on here.
    Sounds fun, Len. Is the thread archived? Do I just type 'Adrian' in the search box?

• Options

Your previous kind comments and encouragement notwithstanding, I have received a large retainer from a drug company not to publish my memoirs, as sales of medication for insomnia would surely be severely hit ....

As for my repatriation, well, que sera, sera. For many reasons it has to be done and it's best that it's done now. I guess I've drifted through most of the major events in my life and at 66 this is one of the few decisions I've really taken for myself - oh well, I suppose we all have to grow up in the end !
  • Options
    Are you going to be living in Lansdowne Lane? I lived there for 8 or 9 years, just moved last year. It would have changed a fair bit...
  • Options

Where is Ketman these days? I miss his ramblings
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LenGlover said:

Sounds fun, Len. Is the thread archived? Do I just type 'Adrian' in the search box?

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/49668/advice-needed-can-t-ask-the-wife/p1
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Are you going to be living in Lansdowne Lane? I lived there for 8 or 9 years, just moved last year. It would have changed a fair bit...

When you look at pictures of The Valley there are three white buildings just above and behind the Bartram gate. In 1991 I bought a flat in one of them, overlooking the stadium. I sold it to my elder son in 2005 and he has very kindly made it available to me. I've visited regularly during my trips to London, so no big surprises (although the stairs are a bit of a swine nowadays.)
  • Options
    GHF - Can I recommend to while away the hours you start a blog? You have some great stories to tell.

Good luck to you mate.
  • Options
    Im trying to think which ones those are? The ones with the sloping drives towards the Charlton lane end?
  • Options
    Actually anyway dont worry re where it is, I enjoyed my time in Lansdowne very much and it will feel like home to you.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Actually anyway dont worry re where it is, I enjoyed my time in Lansdowne very much and it will feel like home to you.

Good luck.

I lived in Plane Tree House as a nipper and it was one of the happiest times of my life,

• Options
    edited July 2013

GHF - Can I recommend to while away the hours you start a blog? You have some great stories to tell.

Good luck to you mate.

Many thanks, and to all who have offered kind wishes. I'm afraid that I have little technical proficiency as far as producing a blog is concerned, and there's a lot of serious competition out there (not least from your goodself).

Perhaps this is a good moment to ask advice. (Mind you, this is the first OP I have done and it was really meant to be about Charlton first and foremost.)

I am not so confident of my writing, such as it is, but I always try to show respect to whomever is out there reading it. In the recent stuff about Charlton in the 1960s I was thinking of three potential types of reader - a) fellow old farts, for whom the lines were bringing back cherished memories (are you reading this, Terry the milkman, who I used to bump into sometimes up the top of the East - without his float, I should add); b) younger folks - the remark I appreciated by far the most was from the gentleman who would read my lines verbatim to his 6 and 8 year olds - because we old-timers have a duty to pass on our own memories to those who follow; and c) and maybe this sounds rather fanciful - to any member of the current playing staff who may be lurking on here, and reads of the utmost regard and affection still held of all our distant heroes, and the next day he knocks on SCP's door and says "Can you help me - I want to be the next Bobby Curtis, the next Brian Kinsey, the next you", and the great man replies, "If you know that, then already you know enough .... how you do it you'll work out on the way, but all you've got to do is reach out and take it - it's there, waiting for you." That's how legends might be made ....

Like I said, this is all maybe going a bit far, but to tell the truth I am feeling very ill at ease reading the Matt Wright discussion today, and these lines here are for anyone in need of some light rose-tinting.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Im trying to think which ones those are? The ones with the sloping drives towards the Charlton lane end?

Yes, ma'am, those are the ones. Charlton is still a village, and winding old Lansdowne Lane more like a country lane. Very fond memories.

• Options
    GHF, check your inbox messages
  • Options

In a single week in September 1985 I received the second yellow card from my missus, the company I worked for was put up for sale by its parent company, and Charlton moved away to SE25.

This very morning there is rumbling disquiet about Charlton's prospects as a club, the company I work for (owned by my personal partner) is passing through critical (hopefully not terminal) times, and I am about to tell my partner that our 20-year relationship must come to an end - I will be leaving her and Holland behind to return to the tribal homelands of Lansdowne Lane. My health is slowly deteriorating and this may be the last summer that I have much mobility.

You thought those were bad weeks ??

Back in February, my Sky Planner crashed, in an instance losing our treasured 87% assortment of Home & Away, Emmerdale, Loose Women, Pepper Pig and Justin's House. Then, incredibly just 2 days later, two of my trains to work were cancelled.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself, other people suffer as well you know.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

In a single week in September 1985 I received the second yellow card from my missus, the company I worked for was put up for sale by its parent company, and Charlton moved away to SE25.

This very morning there is rumbling disquiet about Charlton's prospects as a club, the company I work for (owned by my personal partner) is passing through critical (hopefully not terminal) times, and I am about to tell my partner that our 20-year relationship must come to an end - I will be leaving her and Holland behind to return to the tribal homelands of Lansdowne Lane. My health is slowly deteriorating and this may be the last summer that I have much mobility.

You thought those were bad weeks ??

Back in February, my Sky Planner crashed, in an instance losing our treasured 87% assortment of Home & Away, Emmerdale, Loose Women, Pepper Pig and Justin's House. Then, incredibly just 2 days later, two of my trains to work were cancelled.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself, other people suffer as well you know.

Harsh, very harsh ....
  • Options
    GHF - You say above: "Perhaps this is a good moment to ask advice." But you don't say what advice it is you want. Can we help?
  • Options
    if you read the Adrian scenario would you ask here for help

I hope you can find ketmans love life threads not that was lifer advice at its best
  • Options

Never new Ketman was a hairdresser in Blackpool !!!
  • Options

GHF - You say above: "Perhaps this is a good moment to ask advice." But you don't say what advice it is you want. Can we help?

It's just about the writing thing in general.

Having said that, I mentioned in the OP about self-indulgence. Well, if writing about writing isn't self-indulgent, I don't know what is - my apologies.

Btw, I am delighted that the passing mention of Adrian has drawn a warm response. What a true legend !!

This discussion might be labelled Charlton Lite in contrast to some of the other stuff being posted today - well, guilty as charged. There are serious and valid topics under notice at present but juggling with old dynamite to me is no spectator sport and neither does it end in anything but tears. I read some posts earlier which I never thought could have surfaced on this site, and frankly enough was enough.
  • Options
    GHF - modern day blogging is a piece of piss in terms of the techy stuff. I would recommend Wordpress. They will ease you through the start-up phase and then it all comes down to you and time, and words.

Writing is self indulgent, not writing is just selfish.
  • Options

GHF - modern day blogging is a piece of piss in terms of the techy stuff. I would recommend Wordpress. They will ease you through the start-up phase and then it all comes down to you and time, and words.

Writing is self indulgent, not writing is just selfish.

Thanks indeed for the encouragement. Something to consider for the idle days just around the corner.

And thanks to all for your interest. I hope to be back within the next week.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    GHF - There's absolutely no reason why you should not be confident about your writing: there quite a number of us on this site who have thoroughly enjoyed your prose for its eloquence, information, good humour, and - a rare quality, this - its description of atmosphere. Self-indulgence doesn't arise; it is your own personal perspective, and therein lies its unique charm. As a qualified journo and a voracious reader, I think I can spot a good 'un - and your despatches are full of life and really sparkle. I urge you to consider writing a book of your memories and experiences as a supporter; a book is much better than a blog because it is physical and permanent. And I feel sure all of those constituencies you mention would be eager to read it - and others besides, because it would inevitably embrace wider aspects of sporting and social history. You'd need to think about the research, the resources of information; is Colin Cameron's archive accessible or in the public domain? I think publishers would be interested, or you might want to consider self-publishing, which carries no stigma at all. The communication of experiences - from one individual to another, from one generation to the next - is an extremely worthwhile endeavour and a precious gift.
  • Options
    Heartfelt thanks, VF. I'll give it serious thought for sure.

It is immensely pleasing to think that a few words can unlock old uns' memories and open up bygone days for young uns. We're saturated with material these days but for an unfashionable club such as ours earlier times are much more sparsely recorded, and reminiscence is a vital resource.

Just as an exercise I wrote a story in my head of Carlisle 3-1 CAFC 01 Jan 66. There is a little bit of personal history that goes with that game but I was amazed at how much I still remembered.

As mentioned elsewhere, a couple of years ago I parted company with all my programmes, books and other stuff, so if anyone out there has a 2004 Home and Away for disposal we need to talk !!

• Options

LenGlover said:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/49668/advice-needed-can-t-ask-the-wife/p1
    I've been roaring with laughter at the Adrian thread - especially Leaburn's idea of mapping Lytham St Anne's in concentric circles, with the hairdressers in the middle and the butchers on the outside. The final post, in October 2012, is tantalising: "Come on Adrian, we all need closure on this." Was the guy genuine, or a wind-up merchant? What a scream!